HMS Winchelsea by Beckmann 1/48

1 hour ago, Beckmann said:

....how they did this in earlier times with primitive tools and no technical help. 

Because it was a full time job, and we don't see all the throw aways before they got it right......:D

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Looks great,good idea!

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

• 4 weeks later...

That looks very good.  You are making some quick progress.  Take your time when you start lining off the hull below the wales however.  That will really determine how difficult the planking will be....if you line off the hull well enough it should go much easier.

20191227_105459.thumb.jpg.1ec663e166cd68324f0fc51512364ffb.jpg

The next thing to do are the black whales. I dyed the strips in advance, so I don't have  to paint them. We will see, if that was a good idea or not. The disadvantage is, that you have to glue them very careful into position, because you can not sand the surface later. And no glue on top of the surface. And if you moisten the strips fot bending, you will dissolve the mordant.

But I prefer the look.

Your build is looking very nice! Well done.

I've used ebony in the past and yes it is very hard. Whatever blades you use to cut it will be dulled and only good

for cutting ebony after that. The wood is very hard and bending is difficult. The dust is toxic and it sticks to unsealed

wood and everything else a lot like toner dust. I wore a mask and latex gloves when working with it. It does produce a

nice look when done but it wasn't worth the risks and trouble so I don't use it anymore.  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very nice work.

Russian master replace ebony with black hornbeam. This wood species seems easier to work.

image.png.c0afed55ddeba434bcf6068fc76f360d.png

Take a look at the wonderful build log on a 'Friech Boeir Yacht' from Kortes

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19572-friech-boeir-yacht-sperwer-by-kortes-130-scale-finished/?tab=comments#comment-597413

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

20 minutes ago, DocBlake said:

So you say you want to work with wood?  All risk is relative!  This list will turn your hair white!

https://www.mountainwoodworker.com/articles/toxic_woods.pdf

I wonder where I can find some sneezewood for my next project!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

As usual, things didn't quite work as I thought.

I had to do some sanding and following that, some more dying. I would not recommend doing this my way. You have to be extremely careful with the rest of the model. The advantage is, that the planking structure remains very visible. Painting it might cover the seams and joints, so you have one black belt without any visible planks.

In the end it is a matter of taste.

The best thing to do is propably using the black hornbeam, wich JpR62 mentioned above.

20191229_183350.thumb.jpg.02da31aee11dae55a6d40c2af23a4141.jpg20191229_183101.thumb.jpg.d03d7da3acc0230f77f5daaa4540865a.jpg

This is the finished starboard side of the model.

20191229_183137.thumb.jpg.3a88d69d08e79acd66faf5254a917b9a.jpg

20191229_183146.thumb.jpg.1b8d96a45f1f0b1b92d6ee1f5841c7b0.jpg20191229_183319.thumb.jpg.dabd7d5252a8d866a76d8b5b5a899dcd.jpg

Matthias

Best way in my opinion is to just paint it black with acrylic paint.  Very little danger of ruining the piece that way.

You will have so much more to paint black that I would seriously not recommend that at the way to do the other parts.

But fortunately you made a great save and it looks good.   

Looks fantastic.  Remember that the fairing strip along the waist is temporary.  You will need ti check your height when it comes time for the molding at the shear.  Examine where the molding falls in comparison to the gunports on the plan.  Then adjust accordingly.  You may have to remove it entirely or just keep it and sand it down a wee bit. 

Halo Beckmann ; I have been very interested in your brilliant idea for the ivory laser cutting.  I myself have got some ivory (and also the ebony) from the keys of an ancient piano.  If you need some more, it will be with pleasure ! ... and what about Laufbohle in ebony ?  Would it be a possible idea ?  MFG, Empathry

Hi Empathry, thank you for your kind comment.  ebony is too unflexibel and difficult to bend. What do you mean with "Laufbohle"?

Here is my first attempt with these difficult planks below the wales. It is actually my third attempt, I broke all the others. If I keep going like this, I will soon run out of planks.

20200103_194141.thumb.jpg.a4abf11f5de077fd7e8922d57f4fa247.jpg

20200103_194338.thumb.jpg.99a888570040a8e342f6df16fc38a775.jpg

I have a question concerning the joints. They jump every second bulkhead from one row of planks to another. And after 4 rows, it goes back to the first bulkhead. Is that right? That produces a regular pattern of joints. And it means, that one plank goes over 8 bulkheads.

That is correct.  That last photo looks pretty good.   You have some finish sanding and beveling to eliminate all the tiny gaps but that looks very good.

That may differ.....the important thing to remember is to skip every other bulkhead for the butt joints.   As long as you do that from strake to strake you will be fine....even if you have one area that may have slightly longer planks.  Its fine.