Spray by Mark-NS - FINISHED - Laughing Whale/BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 3/8" to 1' - 5th wooden ship build

Hello, just started my fifth ship model build.  This time it is a model of the Spray.  I have had this model on the shelf for about 15-18 years. I am a bit concerned that the build is beyond my ability and the instructions assume more knowledge then I have but time will tell. One of the reasons I am building this boat is that Joshua Slocum was from Nova Scotia and I was born and live here, home of the Bluenose and many many other ships worth modeling. I just finished a small model of The Bounty's launch, this was the first model I have build in about 12-15 years. Now back in it.  This Spray model is still available:  http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/spray.htm

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Very interested to follow along with this.  I purchased Sailing Alone Around the World from BlueJacket and enjoyed it.  My first building experience was Laughing Whale's small Friendship sloop, purchased from their shop in Bath way back when.

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

• 3 weeks later...

I too will be very interested to follow your progress, as Spray is in my on deck circle. I first read Sailing Alone Around the World in high school or thereabouts, then read it again earlier this summer.  The recent read and my purchase of the kit were inspired by a hiking and cruise adventure we did in Patagonia back in March.  The cruise put us ashore at Cape Horn, which for a life long sailor was an incredible thrill.  This will also be my first BlueJacket build and am looking forward to it. I'm about 95% finished with Model Shipways Yacht America, and I even started a "post-mortem" log I might finish and post (another first for me) before starting Spray.  Again, looking forward to your build . . . 

Tom

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Well I said I wasn't going to be able to work on this ship model a lot and I was correct. However, I have made a bit of progress and here are some pics to prove it.  As you can see the  bulkheads are all in and a central stringer as well.  I now have the first two plans on, one on either side.  I had a bit of an issue with that stringer and how it ends on the keel so I wrote to Bluejacket and they wrote back within a day with pics and a diagram.  Great help and very prompt.  I have added a few pics of some clamps I am trying out and a peg board for bending the planks.  The larger clamp with the screw through it was made by a friend with a 3D printer.  The smaller clamp is also 3D printed.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.jpg

6 hours ago, Mark-NS said:

The larger clamp with the screw through it was made by a friend with a 3D printer.  The smaller clamp is also 3D printed.

Nice job; looks like it is coming along nicely. Are the stl files for the clamps available online at all? These look potentially really useful.

• 4 months later...

Looking forward to follow you build. I intend to build a semi-scratch version after I finis my current build (if ever!)

Rich  hipexec

Contrary to what you posted on my blog, your build looks every bit as good, probably better, than mine.  You're certainly farther along.  I look forward to following and learning from your progress.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With a bit more time on my hands I have made some progress on my Spray.  As the photo shows the deck is down.  This isn't the deck the was supplied.  That was a two-part deck.  I stained and varnished the supplied one and glued it down. However, I really didn't like the look of it, and I found it warped a bit once it was down and the glue dried.  I had a fair bit of decking veneer left over from another ship model and installed that instead, with a thin coat of varnish. Now onto the knightsheads and bowsprit. The pencil is pointing to a piece I broke off during sanding and will have to be fixed.

IMG_0393.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making some more progress on The Spray.   The bulwarks are in, the bowsprit is carved, shaped and installed along with the knightshead.  A bit of filler and sanding is needed where the bulwark meets the rest of the hull and then some new paint. Next up is the cap and railing over the top of the bulwarks.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some more work done on The Spray.  The rails are on as well as the bow block and the taffrail deck.  The lowed gudgeon is on as well as the rudder and rudder post. The rub frail is on each side and the scuppers are cut out. Most recently I built and installed the steering mechanism.  The wheel was cast metal which I aged and then painted.  Overall I am happy with the model so far.  I am not the most talented model builder but it is coming along. Thanks go out to Nic at Bluejacket. A few times I have been unclear about some point or other and he has been kind enough to send a photo from a model they have on site. That has helped a lot.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

A great looking build so far! You have peeked my interest in the spray. I have read Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World a few years back. It's a great novel and this looks like it might be my next build. Keep up the good work!

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

• 3 weeks later...

Great work! Also, for me, it's nice to have someone doing the same build I'm doing but several steps ahead.  I haven't added to my blog in quite a while, and probably won't until I get the hull fully planked and at least one coat of paint on.  I'd always rather build than write.  The hull planking has been a bit of a struggle, but I got the final pieces in place yesterday, and the considerable amount of needed wood filler and sanding has begun, and so far has gone a bit better than expected, so overall I'm still pleased with the build.  

Keep the posts coming. 🙂

Tom

Completed:    

• 2 months later...

Work continues slowly on my model of The Spray.  The cabins are built and in place.  This took longer then expected.  I found the way BlueJacket wanted them made was difficult.  It was a two piece roof and wall, soaked and bent around the end pieces. I couldn't get the glue to bond or the cabins to be true.  Instead I opted to cut the cabins out of a solid block of wood which I then planked over. For me I think they turned out fairly well. The next step is for the yoke and wishbone (made from Britannia metal).  I have written to BlueJacket to see how these are affixed to the hull as the instructions are very vague at this point.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

• 2 months later...

Congratulations Mark 

Nice work 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• The title was changed to Spray by Mark-NS - FINISHED - Laughing Whale/BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 3/8" to 1' - 5th wooden ship build