US Brig Syren by Meredith - Model Shipways

Started the Syren a little while ago - but life got in the way so I haven't progressed very much. Had 4 stints in hospital in 3 different states in the first 4 months of the year.. then changed jobs to a far more challenging one. so now I am in my third week of the new job - things are settling down a bit and I have recommenced the Syren.

I did spend my recuperation time building the little 18th Century long boat - also by Chuck. That is all finished now - except I have a few more oars to shape and paint.

Had some issues with staining the planking on Syren - this is the second time I have taken it off - so its looks a bit rough - hopefully tomorrow the appearance will be a LOT better. THIS time I will also be more patient. I used sanding sealer and even though it felt dry to the touch - I will give it plenty of time to set before I sand and re-stain. I am pretty sure this was my problem the first time around (and the first fix was laced with impatience too!!!)

So onto the photos:

http://justshining.com.au/shipbuild/syren/syren1.jpg

http://justshining.com.au/shipbuild/syren/syren2.jpg

http://justshining.com.au/shipbuild/syren/syren3.jpg

http://justshining.com.au/shipbuild/syren/syren4.jpg

I need to do some more sanding/fairing of the inside. The inside transom felt so delicate - I decided to wait till it was planked on the outside before attempting more sanding. I already broke one part early in the piece - so didn't want to risk more damage. So much easier and safer when I started sanding this morning. I will finish up the fairing today. Then it can sit and wait before the stain goes anywhere near it again!

In the meantime I might just get out another kit to start - so I can swap between the two when there is "wait" time involved.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith,

You are up to a very good start. Your model looks really nice and well built. I can see that you need multiple kits in parallel to keep you busy and satisfied.

I do not know what you can find in Australia as far as varnish and wood stain, but if you can use Minwax products, the Golden Hue and the Wipe on Poly will give you that nice and warm color visible on Chuck's models. The Wipe-On-Poly will also seal the wood and help it receive wood stain in a more harmonious way.

Keep us posted about your progress. I love seeing Build Logs of the Syren, as my kit is waiting in a closet.... No time to get to it.

Yves

Welcome back Meridith.  You are off to a fine start!

That planking is basswood.  It is a bit soft and tends to take stain unevenly.  As Yves indicated, if you can get Minwax products also check for their Pre-Stain.  Very easy to apply and worked wonders for me on the basswood when I used diluted Golden Oak stain.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Meredith, welcome back to good health! I know nothing about stains/paints, so I can't be much help there, but your joinery work looks first rate! Good luck with this; it seems to turn into a proud little ship.

Tom

I have some wipe on Poly and some Minwax and feast watson stains.  I am certain it was my impatience and the weather conditions that were my problem.  My work room is actually out doors in the "breezeway" and we have very high humidity here - usually in the 90+%.

But I will be patient this time around - I have put Syren back on her keel stand and I am deciding which of the 4 kits I have sitting on the shelve will be opened now :)

I have the weekend home alone - so don't want to waste the "my time".

So a question for other Syren builders - the cannons in the kit - are they "good enough" - or could I do better? I know that is a long way ahead - but if I want to order stuff I want time for it to be here when I am ready to use it.

Of course there is nothing stopping me working on deck furniture and cannons in the "wait" time instead of starting another boat. 

I am pretty sure I would like to do a scratch built one soon - but I would really like to complete my 4 kits before I even consider a scratch build. But nothing wrong with planning and dreaming :)

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

There were some notes a while back on the carronades.  It seems those supplied with the early kits (like mine) were too narrow.  Chuck put together a new master and Model Expo supposedly has recast the carronades and will update yours if you have the old ones.  I'm not sure the new ones are much better as I have never seen them.

The 12lb. cannon at the stern are fine.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie. I will get mine out and post some photos and I am sure someone will tell me if they are the old or new ones.. I only got this kit for Christmas - so maybe I have the new style ones.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Those look just a bit different then mine so I'm thinking they are the newer ones.  You might wait a day or so and see if someone else chimes in.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have ALMOST decided to get out the Bounty long boat to start - so a few days wait on the cannons wont matter a bit.

I am very drawn between commencing some deck fittings for Syren - or starting a new build - I am wasting time deciding..LOL

So I slipped off to look at some Bounty long boat builds... that always inspires me.. but then I also have a Emma C Berry and there are some very tempting logs on those too!!!!!

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Sounds as if you have enough to keep you busy.  I'll keep an eye out for all your logs.

In the meanwhile the best of health to you and the best of luck in the new job.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I am fighting fit now... just a few set backs earlier.. and one I think was maybe an over reaction by medical staff :) I think maybe all their machines were faulty and my machine (heart) was just fine! :).. but I still had to have them shove things into my heart so they could be sure - I didn't like that at all as I had to be "awake' while they did it.

And due to what I believe was an under reaction by the hospitals in a previous episode to the heart issues -  I ended up with acute kidney failure.. but they got them all working fine again too :).. ohh and then there was the regularly scheduled biopsies prior to that.. they were all fine too... and last.. I had to get all 4 impacted wisdom teeth out. That wasn't fun as they were all wrapped around the nerves and apparently it was almost certain I would have permanent nerve damage to my whole lower face...but obviously the surgeon was on his best game that day.. and all is now well.. sort of.. it still hurts as they had to take a lot of jaw bone out - but no nerve damage at all. So I recon I have had a pretty thorough overhaul this year - not many other bits of me left they can check out!

The new job.. I like it... its still on the same mine site/refinery - just now working with a contractor instead of a direct company employee - providing the scaffolding, rope access stuff and laggers, weldres, pipefitters etc  - and I get back out in the field - which I prefer - even if its hot and horrible. The only bit I am not overly comfortable with is now I am considered a 'boss man".. I'd rather just be a worker :) :) - but they are paying me well to wear the title of "Controller"..lololol

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

You sound pretty resilient.  Try to stay out of hospitals----they can kill ya :D

Glad you like the new, upper echelon job.  The aggravation is sometimes worth the money.

Stay well!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Welcome back Meredith. Sorry to hear of your medical problems, but glad that everything seems to be okay now. Congrats too on the new job - hope it works out well for you. Nice to see your Syren started, and I'm guessing we'll be seeing one or two others started shortly too!

Re your staining issue, I suspect that the high humidity you've had has been a major factor. Good plan to leave it all to dry out and cure for a few days. I don't know of any remedies for the humidity, but someone with far greater knowledge than I might chime in.

Here are my cannons - are they old or new style?

cannons.jpg

Meredith,

Unfortunately you have the old (or incorrect) types. There was a thread on the new caronnades:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/680-model-shipways-syren-the-new-carronades-have-arrived/?hl=syren

You can request the new castings from Model Expo. They should send them to you free of charge.

Yves

I plan to do the next staining indoors - with aircon :)

Thanks Yves - I KNEW someone here would know :)

Well I have started the Bounty Launch :) - couldn't help myself

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Good to see you've returned and your doing well.   We missed you.   Your Syren is looking good and that's great idea to have something else to work on while waiting for glue to dry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Please keep us informed on your Syren. I hope to restart mine in the fall.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Re did the stain - much better this time around. My work hours are too long during the week to take photos (too dark) - so new pic will have to wait till the weekend

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Some photos..

Stain isn't quite as bright a yellow as the photos show. Not sealed or anything - so it will look better after a top coat - but I am deciding if I start planking the hull or do the treenails...

I don't want it looking brand spanking new.. bit aged - so I am not going to fuss any more over the stain - I think it will seal up ok. Not so happy with my sweep and gun ports - but I guess I will get better/neater in cutting those out with future builds.  I already have some ideas gleaned from MSW logs and my first try - to make future ones better.

syren7.jpg

syren10.jpg

syren5.jpg

syren6.jpg

syren8.jpg

syren9.jpg

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Thanks for the photos!  I'm looking forward to both the treenails and planking.  Take your time and enjoy.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have decided to go with planking first - got some wood strips in the bath soaking. I will get them prepared and drying in my little hull jig thing and while they dry - maybe overnight - make a start on the million treenails. Just hope my little drill bit will hold up. I MEANT to order some more a couple of weeks ago - because I used my tiny drill bit for another domestic job - and broke one.

So - better get organised and order more today.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Yes, the smaller bits need only a one microsecond of loss of concentration and they're gone.  Glad to hear you have made a jig to bend and dry the planks.  It really helps out.  Just be patient and you'll do great! 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ok.. just doing a small tool order...

Chuck states a 0.55 drill bit for treenails.. geez.. what does that mean when the drill bit I am finding have "numbers" like #61 or #55 or #80.

Cant possibly be a #55 - that looks way too big.. I would have gone for something closer to a #80

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Ahhhhhhhhhh I have also just had a DUH moment. I had purchased the draw plate from Jim Byrnes - quite some time ago - and had a bit of an unsuccessful time.. I just had a thought -  THINK I was doing it all wrong.. going to go have a play and report back!

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith,

If you're talking metric, a 0.55 mm bit would be between a No.74 and a 75.

I think your stain has turned out well!

John

Hmm bit confusing - when all the rest of the USA type instructions are in imperial :).. I think I have enough drill bits in that sort of range to commence. Its my #80 I broke one of.

Still order more though - they will always come in handy.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch