Artesania Latina Virginia - deck wood planks question.

Hello all. 

I thought I would try my hand at building a wooden ship, so after some research I picked up the Virginia 1819 ship from Artesania Latina. The directions are a bit lacking, so I'm hoping someone can help validate what I'm thinking. As such, here's my dumb question of the day: Are the paper-thin strips (the thinnest strips that come with the kit) the #16 "Deck, bulwark and upper stern lining strakes" that is listed in the manual? I'm pretty sure they are the ones for lining the deck but just want to be sure before I go on since they didn't label them per se.

I'm sure there will be more questions as time goes on but this is my first. :)

Many thanks!

In the Kit Area is a topic with quick find indexes.    I'll paste a copy of my search and just scroll down to Virginia.   There's lots of logs for this ship.

Wooden Ships.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

pic's of my virginia1819....... my first build..... and still building 🙂   study instructions.... thier missleading.... build deck furniture but don't mount it..... it will be in the way of making railings........ check your rudder, mine was to short.... had to make one from scrach.   their was no water drain ports ( scuppers ) i had to make those from looking at the pic on the box........ one thing about this kit is...... you will get experince & education if you study here on this site......... go here to learn about planking     http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php   i plank'd my hull one time, if you chose to do this...... check the bulk head distance from one another, i faild to do this and as a result two planks dimppeld on me....... take your time , you are learning new things    enjoy🙂

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

another problem is the instructions on the rigging...... their is no ratlines. i think a vessel this size would have had ratlines.  if you look over the rigging instructions............ then where do you tie the lines off etc.etc.etc.      i found out about these book's on this site.  the author only made two books on riggging and it was suggested to by both... and i did,  and they answear all the rigging problems.... you can find them on ebay

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

On 8/17/2019 at 12:51 PM, Alec Hosterman said:

Are the paper-thin strips (the thinnest strips that come with the kit) the #16 "Deck, bulwark and upper stern lining strakes" that is listed in the manua

If these are walnut or dark red-brown in color, they may be the planking for the 2nd planking. Mine has a double planked hull with the 2nd planking being thin walnut strips about 0.5 mm thick.