HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

After seeing , in person, the beautiful models of Winnie being done by Chuck and Mike, there was no way that I wouldn't want to give it a try myself. Actual work will have to wait until I get back to Florida next month.

Bob

So You’re saying it won’t be too long before Chuck and Mike are returning that compliment? 😄 I may just have to wait to start so I can get some schooling from your diverse experience..... Looks like there’s going to be a plethora of talent to emulate in this venture!!

Hi Bob, I'm glad to see you are going to be part of the Winnie family and I know you will do her proud!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Welcome aboard Bob. I've been following your builds since th Essex. 

Glad to see you here. I look forward to furthering my education...

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

• 1 month later...

Back home, and work has begun. It appears that I may be the first to use the the laser cut keel former and bulkhead set from Chuck. I'm also using the laser cut parts for chapter one. While I admire all of the great work being done by the group in cutting out their own parts, I am at an age ( just turned 80) where I would rather spend my time on other aspects of the build. BTW, the laser cut framing parts are virtually perfect, and required almost no sanding to fit snug and true.

I began by assembling the stem parts and the tapering them. I then assembled the keel former and added the rabbet strip. Then, I tapered from the bearding line using a chisel and sandpaper. Next, I attached the stem assembly and the keel pieces.Finally, I drilled for, and added black monofilament line for the keel bolts.

The next order of business was to construct the build board, using laser cut parts for the supports. The last task was to dry fit all of the bulkheads to the keel former.

Now, it's time to glue in the bulkheads and fair up the hull.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_96e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_974.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_975.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_973.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_972.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_96f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_970.jpeg

Looks nice Bob! I've seen this black monofilament line idea around, it looks good. Where do you get yours?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Looking good Bob!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Dirk, Elijah and Rusty for the comments and thanks also to the "likes".

Elijah, I got my monofilament from Amazon, but Chuck's source on eBay seems slightly cheaper.

Bob

Looks very familiar, Bob. Glad to see that your up and running. I think you will really enjoy building the Winni.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I think Chuck has hit a homer with this project and can do nothing but good things for the hobby. Great to see the support and just never know if I will make the plunge.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the better part of 10 days fairing the hull. It has been hard work. Some observations:

1) This hull is a monster. Not only is it large, it is very heavy.I have often worked in my lap in the past. That is barely possible here.

2) There are a very large number of bulkheads ( a very good idea), and they are relatively wide, providing a large surface area to be sanded. It simply takes  a lot of time.

3) I have faired  the hull well enough (I think) to run a fair batten for the gunport framing, but I likely will do another sanding of the the full hull when I do the fairing of the gunport framing and add the stern framing.

Chuck: I  have a question going forward. The laser cut parts for the curved forward portion of the port framing are not the same length for the top and bottom, seemingly contrary to the plans and the model. Am I missing something?

Bob

fullsizeoutput_976.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_977.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_978.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_979.jpeg

Yes they need to be different....the bottom sill needs to be longer because the angle is different and the length it spans a bit different.    Either way they will need to be cut and angled appropriately.....the one on the plans is long enough for both.  These pieces cant be laser cut precisely and need some work by the builder to fit properly.   The bevel is in both directions.  

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Moving along. I've done the gunport framing and faired the upper hull area again. The only tricky part of the framing was making sure that the lower sill pieces followed the line that was set earlier by the batten. The ports were set, as suggested by Chuck, using spacers for both vertical and horizontal dimensions. Sawing out the bulkheads went fairly smoothly. After completion of the framing it was time to sand the exterior fair again. I've done so much sanding on this hull, I feel like I have sandpaper attached permanently to my hands.

Now, it's on to the stern framing.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_97e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_97c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_97b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_97d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_97a.jpeg

That looks really good.   Moving right along and it looks as it should at this stage.  Well done.

Chuck

Very nice work Bob.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking very nice, Bob. Something that I almost forgot to do was to check the stern framing angle off the plan. Initially I was relying on how the frames sat in the bulkheads.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I completed the basic framing this week by doing the stern framing, the quarter gallery framing, the stern planking filler, the quarter deck sheer strip and the laser cut hance pieces. Although the planking filler wasn't mentioned at this point, it seemed an appropriate time to add it. The laser cut window guide pieces certainly made the stern framing construction easier. I was not happy or satisfied with the shaping and fairing at the counter and under the stern framing, but decided to leave it until I get to the counter planking, when the correct shaping become should more apparent, and I can make adjustments accordingly. Now, it's time to tackle those tricky looking bollard timbers.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_988.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_97f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_980.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_981.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_982.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_983.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_985.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_988.jpeg

Great job framing her up. I agree that the fairing at the counter and under the stern is challenging.

I too continue to "adjust" the fairing as I move along. I know you'll do a great job on the bollard timbers too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Before doing the bollard timbers, I started fairing the interior of the bulwarks, as suggested by Chuck. As much of a pain as the hull exterior was to fair, the interior seems even worse. Using chisels, a Dremel sanding drum and sandpaper, I started at the bow and continued back about halfway, before deciding that was enough for now.

I then moved on to the bollard timbers. It is fortunate that Chuck has provided a number of extra blanks in the laser package, as I needed all of them. Even then, my work was hardly perfect.  Little errors would occur and be exposed immediately by photography. What you will see are the best that I came up with.

Bob

Bobc9AztmgRTsuy1QAhly153g.thumb.jpg.c0671aaaaaab6cb85285bfefd3366b02.jpg9cun2WiySDqnU4cwrwTouA.thumb.jpg.192a43a406617dee48ad58bd51461e2d.jpgfullsizeoutput_989.thumb.jpeg.98fd9dc4232ae84e7f59e75eaa18f98b.jpegfullsizeoutput_98a.thumb.jpeg.69ff59f5724e507aab8ed5ecfe07dab7.jpegfullsizeoutput_98b.thumb.jpeg.4bb5658e4d914fe7143e276141888116.jpegfullsizeoutput_98c.thumb.jpeg.0e85077502f42bdd0edb365a310e548a.jpegfullsizeoutput_98d.thumb.jpeg.14bf2d98e5ab17faf1b209d85be26163.jpeg