HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

Always a great admirer of your work. The Winchelsea is really a superb frigate. Wait to see more.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck, I am finding the horizontal filler pieces at the bottom of the lower counter to be very confusing. I cannot find them on the plans at all, and they are  shown only on a couple of pictures in Chapter two with no explanation about them. Could you please provide some guidance? Thanks. 

Bob

Not sure what you are referring to....the filler pieces?  These are just scrap strips glued on the bottom edge of the stern frames and down the rabbet strip.  Once faired, you will have a surface to glue your planking too.   Imagine the planking and where you would need to glue the ends of each strip.

Does this help?  I just drew this for you to show the one under the stern frames.

fillerstrip.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I lasted posted on Winnie. A good bit of progress has occurred. To begin with, I completed framing at the stern with the addition of the horizontal filler pieces and final fairing. I then added the lower counter planking, using the laser cut pieces. After that, I did the first layer of planking for the wales and black strake. The wale planking was begun by using a  batten to mark the line of the bottom of that planking. Lastly, I painted the gunports red, in preparation for doing the upper planking..

The upper planking will be the next order of business..

Bob

fullsizeoutput_999.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_997.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_992.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_994.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_996.jpeg

She looks very nice!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Very nice progress Bob.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Joe, Rusty and the "likes". Sorry for the delay in responding. Both work on the model and keeping up with the posts have been slowed by a houseful of family company for the holidays.

Bob

The horde (seven children and grandchildren and two dogs) have left my house. Time for a post.

I have completed the port side upper planking. Remarkably, at least to me, after making a few small adjustments to the framing, the planking worked out as it was supposed to, using the planking widths called for in the plans. I must admit that I chickened out on the tabs at the gunports. All in all, although I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, I am not really dissatisfied with the overall appearance of the planking. I will try to do a bit better on the starboard side. 

The photos show the planking after sanding and the application of a coat of Wipe-on Poly.

fullsizeoutput_99f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a3.jpeg

That looks good Bob, I hope mine comes out as nice! It's my intent to give the tabs

under the ports a go. We'll see how that turns out.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've now completed the upper planking of the second (starboard) side. It has been sanded and a coat of Wipe-on Poly applied. As could be expected, it went on easier and better than the first side. I still had to make small adjustments to get the plank widths right, particularly in the area of the hances.

Following Chuck's sequence, the next work will be the drop plank and the first two strakes below the wales.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9a4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a8.jpeg

Bob this pursuit has its own way of making oneself a harsh critic of their work. This forum offers us all superb references for "how to and perfection". It is both a blessing and a curse. In building Cheerful (which is still in process) I learned so much and have improved immensely. You are way ahead of me (maybe that is not a good reference point)!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I've now completed the following: the drop planks and the first two strakes below the wales;  the second layer of wale planking and painting the wales black; and the black strake above the wales.

I began the drop plank installation by following Chuck's two plank tool suggestion to line off the two strakes below the wales.Although the laser cut drop plank was a big help, I still found the fitting process a bit tricky.

The second layer of wale planking was straight forward and simply followed the first layer. The forward portion of each strake was sanded down to appear to fit into the rabbet. I painted the upper edge of the top strake and the bottom edge of the bottom strake before gluing them in place, ensuring a clean edge. The wale was painted with multiple coats of  Modelmaster engine black acrylic.

The black strake was made using 1/64" planking strips and was left unpainted.

There are a few miscellaneous tasks left before beginning the lower hull planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9af.jpeg

VYiF6uzPSi6MYFOcRHY5sw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9ba.jpeg

aroMoLXhTT2HhHaShtqVEA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9be.jpeg

Nice progress Bob !!

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Looking great Bob!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Happy new year Bob,    you are doing an Outstanding job   she is looking so nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Bob, she looks fantastic as always. Very nice work!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hello Bob,

I just found read through this thread. Amazing job so far. Now that I am up to date I will be following along if you have room for one more.

Best Regards and happy new year.

Art

I just completed the last steps before moving on to the lower hull planking. First, I added the anchor lining using the laser cut parts and strip. Next, I did the fairing cap, using the laser cut hance pieces, strip wood for the quarter deck pieces and for the temporary waist pieces, and pieces cut from cedar sheet for the bow pieces. After all those pieces were in place, I completed the fairing of the inner bulwarks. This was tedious, but not as bad as it might have been , since I had done a good deal of the fairing before.

Now, it's time to dig in and line off the lower hull and do the planking, a formidable looking task.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9cf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9d1.jpeg