HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

Good to see you back on this Bob  - I have missed your beautiful work on her,   hope your all in good health my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nice work Bob! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Always so pleasant to follow the progress of your work Bob.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thanks so much Tom.

I have progress to report, but not what I said it would be. I didn't like how I was doing the port lids, so I switched to the ladders and then some other things. The ladder kits are great and make up nicely. After mounting them, I did the bulwark cleats and staghorns. Having done those, I decided to do the bulwark eyebolts for the cannon tackle. I left out those that will be drilled and mounted through the knees. Having done those eyebolts, I then decided to make up and add the deck ringbolts, which the plans show in two different sizes, as well as the eyebolts at the main mast partners. 

After completing that work, I began work on the head by painting the black areas in preparation for doing the actual head work. Sooner or later, I will get back to the lids.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b7e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b7f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b80.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b83.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b85.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b84.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b82.jpeg

Looking very nice Bob!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Beautiful, Bob!  You've been busy.  Those eye bolts look amazing!  You did an amazing job on keeping them consistent in size and shape.  Were they hard to make?  

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks guys for the generous comments and the "likes". Always appreciated. 

As to the eyebolts: I must admit that the smallest (used for the ringbolts) are commercial. There is no way that I could make them. The larger ones are time -consuming , but can be done.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I have now done the work on the head, using the laser cut parts, the printed friezes and the molded resin parts. Even with the laser cut parts, this is no walk in the park. Truthfully, it was very difficult. It is one of those tasks that you're just happy to be done with.  Among the most troublesome areas for me were the hawse holes and getting the friezes to sit well.

In any event, I'm now going to do the guns.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b89.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b8a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b8b.jpeg

Thanks so much Greg, Fred and the "likes".

Like every modeler, I mostly see the faults in what I do. More importantly, Winnie is a truly fun build that I look forward to working on every day.

Bob

On 4/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, rafine said:

Thanks so much Greg, Fred and the "likes".

Like every modeler, I mostly see the faults in what I do. More importantly, Winnie is a truly fun build that I look forward to working on every day.

Bob

That's the problem with all of us  as rather authistic perfectionists I think.

Looking at your own work, you have an attachment with every little part that was difficult or did not come out 100% as you anticipated.

I found a method for avoiding that: don't look at it from a very close distance for a few years, work on a few other models and maybe

then you can look at it unbiased and without prejudice because maybe the lesser spots will be forgotten by then...

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Just now, FrankWouts said:

That's the problem with all of us  as rather authistic perfectionists I think.

Looking at your own work, you have an attachment with every little part that was difficult or did not come out 100% as you anticipated.

I found a method for avoiding that: don't look at it from a very close distance for a few years, work on a few other models and maybe

then you can look at it unbiased and without prejudice because maybe the lesser spots will be forgotten by then...

And I'm sure everyone visiting your house and taking a look at your Winnie will find a beautiful model!

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Having gotten the guns, carriages and jig from Chuck, I started work on them. Chuck had mentioned how tedious this repetitive work can be. How true that is. I did the first eight and then decided that I had to do something else or go  crazy. I chose to do the lower capstan. I will probably do the upper capstan after doing the next eight guns. As you can see, I went with natural gun carriages, but a red capstan. It just seemed "right " to me. It is my intention to rig the guns with breach ropes and side tackles after I finish making them all.

I also added the knee above the hawse holes on the interior bulwarks.

fullsizeoutput_b8d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b8e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b8f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b90.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b91.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b93.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b92.jpeg

Beautiful work, Bob! And I love your color choice . . . the red capstan presents a very nice highlight. I can imagine getting all these guns done must be quite some work. Lots of repetitive details. But your results look very convincing 👍!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

18 hours ago, rafine said:

I went with natural gun carriages, but a red capstan. It just seemed "right " to me. It is my intention to rig the guns with breach ropes and side tackles

Hi Bob, Everything is looking really nice. Red capstan for me also. I'm undecided on the gun carriages as I think both ways look really good. I intend to add at least the breach ropes and eagerly look forward to seeing how your side tackles come out!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Thomas, Rusty and the "likes". Appreciated, as always.

Rusty, I'm less eager about doing the tackles, and i'm hoping that Chuck still rigs one gun so that i can get a look and also get the rope and block sizes.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...