rafine

HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

Before doing the bollard timbers, I started fairing the interior of the bulwarks, as suggested by Chuck. As much of a pain as the hull exterior was to fair, the interior seems even worse. Using chisels, a Dremel sanding drum and sandpaper, I started at the bow and continued back about halfway, before deciding that was enough for now.

I then moved on to the bollard timbers. It is fortunate that Chuck has provided a number of extra blanks in the laser package, as I needed all of them. Even then, my work was hardly perfect.  Little errors would occur and be exposed immediately by photography. What you will see are the best that I came up with.

Bob

Bobc9AztmgRTsuy1QAhly153g.thumb.jpg.c0671aaaaaab6cb85285bfefd3366b02.jpg9cun2WiySDqnU4cwrwTouA.thumb.jpg.192a43a406617dee48ad58bd51461e2d.jpgfullsizeoutput_989.thumb.jpeg.98fd9dc4232ae84e7f59e75eaa18f98b.jpegfullsizeoutput_98a.thumb.jpeg.69ff59f5724e507aab8ed5ecfe07dab7.jpegfullsizeoutput_98b.thumb.jpeg.4bb5658e4d914fe7143e276141888116.jpegfullsizeoutput_98c.thumb.jpeg.0e85077502f42bdd0edb365a310e548a.jpegfullsizeoutput_98d.thumb.jpeg.14bf2d98e5ab17faf1b209d85be26163.jpeg

Always a great admirer of your work. The Winchelsea is really a superb frigate. Wait to see more.

Chuck, I am finding the horizontal filler pieces at the bottom of the lower counter to be very confusing. I cannot find them on the plans at all, and they are  shown only on a couple of pictures in Chapter two with no explanation about them. Could you please provide some guidance? Thanks. 

Bob

Not sure what you are referring to....the filler pieces?  These are just scrap strips glued on the bottom edge of the stern frames and down the rabbet strip.  Once faired, you will have a surface to glue your planking too.   Imagine the planking and where you would need to glue the ends of each strip.

Does this help?  I just drew this for you to show the one under the stern frames.

fillerstrip.jpg

It's been a while since I lasted posted on Winnie. A good bit of progress has occurred. To begin with, I completed framing at the stern with the addition of the horizontal filler pieces and final fairing. I then added the lower counter planking, using the laser cut pieces. After that, I did the first layer of planking for the wales and black strake. The wale planking was begun by using a  batten to mark the line of the bottom of that planking. Lastly, I painted the gunports red, in preparation for doing the upper planking..

The upper planking will be the next order of business..

Bob

fullsizeoutput_999.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_997.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_992.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_994.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_996.jpeg

Bob your work inspires us all. Nice clean execution and progress. My work has stalled as i have wood shop projects "on the ways" that desperately need to be launched. I need to adopt your focus/mentality about this project.

Joe

Thanks so much Joe, Rusty and the "likes". Sorry for the delay in responding. Both work on the model and keeping up with the posts have been slowed by a houseful of family company for the holidays.

Bob

The horde (seven children and grandchildren and two dogs) have left my house. Time for a post.

I have completed the port side upper planking. Remarkably, at least to me, after making a few small adjustments to the framing, the planking worked out as it was supposed to, using the planking widths called for in the plans. I must admit that I chickened out on the tabs at the gunports. All in all, although I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, I am not really dissatisfied with the overall appearance of the planking. I will try to do a bit better on the starboard side. 

The photos show the planking after sanding and the application of a coat of Wipe-on Poly.

fullsizeoutput_99f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a3.jpeg

That looks good Bob, I hope mine comes out as nice! It's my intent to give the tabs

under the ports a go. We'll see how that turns out.

Thanks so much Rusty and the "likes". Rusty, I'm sure that your planking will turn out great, as always.

Bob

I've now completed the upper planking of the second (starboard) side. It has been sanded and a coat of Wipe-on Poly applied. As could be expected, it went on easier and better than the first side. I still had to make small adjustments to get the plank widths right, particularly in the area of the hances.

Following Chuck's sequence, the next work will be the drop plank and the first two strakes below the wales.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9a4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a8.jpeg

Bob this pursuit has its own way of making oneself a harsh critic of their work. This forum offers us all superb references for "how to and perfection". It is both a blessing and a curse. In building Cheerful (which is still in process) I learned so much and have improved immensely. You are way ahead of me (maybe that is not a good reference point)!

Joe

Thanks so much Joe, Matt,Dirk and the "likes".

Matt, the caulking is pencil on one side and one end of each plank. Easy.

Bob

I've now completed the following: the drop planks and the first two strakes below the wales;  the second layer of wale planking and painting the wales black; and the black strake above the wales.

I began the drop plank installation by following Chuck's two plank tool suggestion to line off the two strakes below the wales.Although the laser cut drop plank was a big help, I still found the fitting process a bit tricky.

The second layer of wale planking was straight forward and simply followed the first layer. The forward portion of each strake was sanded down to appear to fit into the rabbet. I painted the upper edge of the top strake and the bottom edge of the bottom strake before gluing them in place, ensuring a clean edge. The wale was painted with multiple coats of  Modelmaster engine black acrylic.

The black strake was made using 1/64" planking strips and was left unpainted.

There are a few miscellaneous tasks left before beginning the lower hull planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9ad.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9af.jpeg

VYiF6uzPSi6MYFOcRHY5sw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9ba.jpeg

aroMoLXhTT2HhHaShtqVEA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9be.jpeg

Hello Bob,

I just found read through this thread. Amazing job so far. Now that I am up to date I will be following along if you have room for one more.

Best Regards and happy new year.

Art