HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

She's looking really good Bob. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That looks very good Bob.   You are certainly moving along.  I might point out a possible issue however.   The sheer at the the stern is a bit high in relation to the top of the transom.  I am not sure if your planking run just slopes up too much for the last 5 or 6 inches of the run or if your transom fillers were placed too low.  Probably a little bit of both.  You might want to tweak both at some point.  This will probably affect how your qgalleries will end up as well as the railings atop the quarter deck.  Check out the relationship between the two in the photo below.

transom4.jpg

Chuck

Thanks so much Rusty, Chuck and the "likes".

Chuck, I appreciate the "heads up". I think that I will wait to do any tweaking until somewhat later, when I can see more clearly what needs to be done to make everything fit properly.

Bob

Really nice tidy work Bob.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bob.  Just discovered this log.  You've started off well; keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems like an eternity since I last posted any progress -- in fact, it has been five months. Multiple factors combined to bring this about. First, I was unhappy with the way that the lower planking was progressing and couldn't decide how to proceed, so I just stopped. Then came the virus situation. You would have thought that being trapped at home for months would have spurred a surge of modeling work, but it had the exact opposite result. A sort of malaise settled in, where I didn't want to do much other than binge watch numerous TV series that I had never seen before. At first, I thought that I was alone in feeling like that, but it seems to me now that there have been numerous other MSW members whose modeling and posting have similarly dropped off in recent months. This might provide an interesting discussion topic on the site.

In any event, this has been a long way to say that I have just finished the lower hull planking after a recent surge in modeling desire and activity. The good news is that it is done and doesn't look too bad if you don't look too closely. The bad news is that it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, and I'm still no happier with it than I was five months ago.

I'm now ready to move on to the next phase of the project with the hope that my new burst of enthusiasm will continue. Bring on the stern and quarter galleries.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9da.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9d9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9d8.jpeg

That looks very good Bob.   Glad to see you back at it.  Plus its too hot to play golf anyway!!!!

Chuck

Hi Bob,

I'm glad to see that you are back at it. The hull planking looks good. We all have times where we are not "happy"

with how a portion of a build looks but then again we are way to hard on ourselves. I too hit periods of less

enthusiasm than others and I make sure not to "force" myself to work on a build. Time off can be a good thing.

I look forward to seeing how you approach the quarter galleries. They are interesting and fun.   

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Chuck, Rusty, Thomas and the "likes".

Chuck, while it may be hot for golf, it beats staying in the house all day.

Rusty, I can only hope that my quarter galleries turn out anywhere near as good as yours.

Bob

After completing the planking, the first thing I did was to remove the hull from the base brackets and then remove the brackets themselves. My preferred method for permanent mounting of a model is to use brass rod drilled and glued through the keel. The rod is inserted into brass tubing drilled and glued into the base. Rather than use a cradle, I chose to install the rods now and insert them into tubing drilled into the construction base board. It is strong and stable, and the hull is easily removable, if required.

After this mounting, I moved on to the transom. After marking and sanding, it was glued into place.The windows were all test fitted, but only the gallery windows were permanently installed, with their laser cut "glass" and their backing pieces with theft sides painted black. I then did the upper counter planking, including the thickening planking on the fore sideThe final work was to add the capping pieces to the top of the transom.

Quarter galleries next.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_9e6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9ec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9e8.jpeg

Looking good Bob and it's great to see you back at it!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Finally, some long overdue progress. First, I added the moldings and friezes to the transom.  I don't know what happened during my download of the friezes, but I found that I had to adjust the sized redo the downloads. Now they fit.

I then framed the quarter galleries, using the laser cut pieces, and put on the moldings. The outer part of the uprights was painted, using Winsor& Newton cerulean blue acrylic.The windows were added, using Micro Krystal Klear for the glazing, rather than the laser cut acetate. I like the look better and it greatly strengthens the window frames. Next, I added the fluted columns, using the laser cut pieces and strip wood. 

The friezes were glued in place and the drops added. I have the resin casting set, and applied fruitwood gel stain before mounting, as Chuck has suggested.

The last work was to make up the roofs, using the laser cut pieces and shingles. The shingles were painted with Polyscale grimy black, which is a dark gray. The roofs are not yet permanently mounted.

Now, it's on to the hull side  moldings and friezes.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a04.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a02.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a06.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a09.jpeg

Great to see an update Bob! Looking really good.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Found you !

Wow Bob.

Is this not to big for you???? 🙂

It is your usual great work.

I have problems to find someone again with this new layout of the forum.

Or maybe I'm to old 😞

Just joking..every new thing has his good and less good things.

But your build is great!

I will follow you again.

Sjors

Coming along great, Bob.

A pleasure to watch.

Cheers

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

I've now completed all of chapter three with the exception of the fancy rail on the Q gallery roofs. I've decided to leave that for later, to protect them. 

The work completed included the moldings and friezes on the hull sides and the remaining work on the transom: painting; moldings; the cove; window frames and glazing; the castings; and the fluted columns. Let me start by saying that after all of the hull planking, this was fun to do.

The hull moldings and friezes were relatively straight forward. The laser cut scrolls were a godsend. Thank you, Chuck. I applied Wipe-on Poly to the friezes, as well as the moldings, and I like the result.

Moving to the transom, I chose to paint the transom, rather than use the printed paper piece. I first used cerulean blue, but didn't like the color match to the friezes, and started experimenting. What I finally came up with was teal, tinted with cerulean blue, which I found to be a much better match to my printouts. After painting, I added the upper edge molding, using the laser cut pieces. Next, I mounted the window frames and glazed them with Micro Kristal Klear, as I had done with the Gallery windows. I then made and mounted the cove and the connecting moldings above and to the side of the outer false windows. At this point, I cleaned up, shaped and tinted the castings, using fruitwood gel stain. The castings were then mounted , in the order suggested by Chuck. I think that they look great. Another big "thank you" to Chuck for providing a beautiful way to do something that would otherwise have been impossible for me. The transom was completed by making up and mounting the fluted columns, using the laser cut parts and strip wood.

It seems that I will now need to take a pause until the Chapter Four parts and printout are available. I don't mean to be pushy, but any idea when that will be, Chuck?

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a2a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a28.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a26.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a13.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a21.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a30.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a2e.jpeg

The monograph chapter is already available.  I just have to finalize the 12 chapter 4 packages I have already laser cut.   I am trying!!!!   Aside from this I woke up this morning with 26 items out of stock!!!   I am having a record breaking month of sales once again during this pandemic and its rather impossible to catch up.

I am trying my best and shooting for the weekend.   Have to create the part in my online store so you guys can place an order.

Chuck