Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

I've now completed all of chapter three with the exception of the fancy rail on the Q gallery roofs. I've decided to leave that for later, to protect them. 

 

The work completed included the moldings and friezes on the hull sides and the remaining work on the transom: painting; moldings; the cove; window frames and glazing; the castings; and the fluted columns. Let me start by saying that after all of the hull planking, this was fun to do.

 

The hull moldings and friezes were relatively straight forward. The laser cut scrolls were a godsend. Thank you, Chuck. I applied Wipe-on Poly to the friezes, as well as the moldings, and I like the result.

 

Moving to the transom, I chose to paint the transom, rather than use the printed paper piece. I first used cerulean blue, but didn't like the color match to the friezes, and started experimenting. What I finally came up with was teal, tinted with cerulean blue, which I found to be a much better match to my printouts. After painting, I added the upper edge molding, using the laser cut pieces. Next, I mounted the window frames and glazed them with Micro Kristal Klear, as I had done with the Gallery windows. I then made and mounted the cove and the connecting moldings above and to the side of the outer false windows. At this point, I cleaned up, shaped and tinted the castings, using fruitwood gel stain. The castings were then mounted , in the order suggested by Chuck. I think that they look great. Another big "thank you" to Chuck for providing a beautiful way to do something that would otherwise have been impossible for me. The transom was completed by making up and mounting the fluted columns, using the laser cut parts and strip wood.

 

It seems that I will now need to take a pause until the Chapter Four parts and printout are available. I don't mean to be pushy, but any idea when that will be, Chuck?

 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a2a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a28.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a26.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a13.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a21.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a30.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a2e.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The monograph chapter is already available.  I just have to finalize the 12 chapter 4 packages I have already laser cut.   I am trying!!!!   Aside from this I woke up this morning with 26 items out of stock!!!   I am having a record breaking month of sales once again during this pandemic and its rather impossible to catch up.

 

I am trying my best and shooting for the weekend.   Have to create the part in my online store so you guys can place an order.

 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to get part four parts from the first batch. They arrived three days after ordering, on my birthday (81, for anyone interested). A nice birthday gift to myself. I was eager to go and have done the following so far: the sub-deck planking; the beams and carlings; the false deck; and the first layer of the bulwark planking. I also made up the two coamings that go over the sub-deck openings, just to see how they looked.

 

Although my installation of the false deck doesn't look particularly neat, all of the laser etched lines and the center line match up perfectly, and there should be no problems later on. I've also tested the deck clamps for the future fit of the deck beams and they should be right on. Now, it's on to the cabin paneling, the   second layer of bulwark planking and the bulwark painting.

 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a37.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a41.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a45.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a53.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a50.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a4e.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been continuing with the part four work. First, I did the cabin paneling, using the laser cut parts. This required some fiddling, but I believe turned out okay. Then, I added the second layer of planking above and below the ports. Lastly, I painted the bulwarks red, using Modelmaster Insignia Red acrylic. On reflection, I wish that I had changed the sequence and done all of the planking and painting before the cabin paneling. I found the masking for the painting to be unexpectedly difficult.

 

I did one other item: I completed and mounted the quarter gallery roofs.

 

Next, I will do the margin planks and the inner counter planking.  

fullsizeoutput_a5e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a5c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a67.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a6b.jpeg

rRBoK7ZBRqKolr8Bh2MyEg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_a62.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a6c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a39.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much Rusty, OC and the "likes". I appreciate the generous thoughts, but more and more my struggles with Winnie make me feel that my best modeling is behind me.

 

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have now added the inner counter planking, using the laser cut pieces, I then made up the margin planks, using the templates and cutting in the scarph joints. After mounting the margin planks, I made up and mounted the waterways, using square strip wood sanded to a quarter round shape. Lastly, sanded the checkerboard floor to size and shape and glued it in place.

 

Next, I will do the coamings and gratings and the other deck parts.

 

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a76.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a75.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a7b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a7c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a7d.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...