After my modeling malaise earlier this year, I now seem to want to build Winnie all the time now. 

The latest work has been to make up and mount the coamings and gratings, the partners, the stove base and the center deck planking .The coamings, partners and stove base were done using the laser cut parts. The gratings were made from the boxwood grating kits. The bolts in the partners were simulated with black monofilament. I began the planking with the strakes between the coamings and partners.

I am now continuing the planking working outward.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a83.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a8d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a8b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a89.jpeg

46 minutes ago, rafine said:

After my modeling malaise earlier this year, I now seem to want to build Winnie all the time now.

I know how you feel, Bob.  I never get enough time to spend on Winnie and I think about her all the time.  Your work is beautiful!  This looks like really fun work to do.

Thanks so much Thomas, JJ, OC and Mustafa for your generous comments and thanks also to the "likes". 

OC, without wishing to draw this discussion out any further, I would only say that aging is a realty, and we all must live with it's consequences. Enough said.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news and some bad news. The good news: I've finished the deck planking and, thus, part four. The bad news: I've finished the deck planking and part four, apparently well before Chuck finishes part five. The unwanted result  may be a lengthy halt to my building.

In any event, the planking went relatively uneventfully. I tapered and curved the bow and stern planks without too much difficulty. The hooked scarph joints at bow and stern were interesting to do and required thought and care, but went smoothly. The photos show the deck planking sanded and finished with Wipe-on Poly.

fullsizeoutput_a94.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a96.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a9e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aa3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aa0.jpeg

Terrific work there Bob,  I sympathise with you about what to do now having been in a similar situation waiting for chapter four parts to arrive, took 5 weeks so I got stuck in and made up the cannon carriages.  You might consider buying the kits that Chuck sells, that would keep you out of mischief for a few weeks. Just a suggestion 😉

Bob, I'm so sorry I haven't been around for 2 years, lol.  It's not funny, but I'm laughing at myself anyway.

I'm SO glad you're still here modelling.  You, Frolic and Auggie were several of my biggest supporters around here and I'm so sorry I disappeared but life really got me down.  But hey, now I'm back!

Carry on mate, your model looks wonderful as usual!

Matt, I thought about the guns, but after checking the plans against Chuck's available guns, it seemed to me that there are none that match up well. I'm guessing that Chuck will have new guns for Winnie. I have been working on  the eyebolts and ringbolts for the deck and bulwarks, using the plans for size and placement.

I have Chris Watton's Duchess of Kingston on order, and will likely start on that when it arrives ( hopefully next week.).

Bob

On 11/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, rafine said:

Matt, I thought about the guns, but after checking the plans against Chuck's available guns, it seemed to me that there are none that match up well.

Hi Bob. I spoke with Chuck regarding the cannon a while ago and he said "The cannon are in fact the 1 15/16 resin for the gun deck.  1 9/16 for the upper decks. If you leave the aft port empty like I will you will need 24.....1 15/16 cannon.  None in the foremost port either." 

By the way great choice on the Duchess of Kingston. I'm severely tempted to get her. 

Hello Bob,

it’s still difficult to find build logs if you don’t know the era of the ship......

And to seek the whole forum......

But i find you and you’re beautiful work.

Your skills are still great!

Sjors