Titanic by philo426 - FINISHED - Sterling Innovations - CARD

Great project and you look to be off to a great start.  What mfg. is this one.  I have a 1/200 scale Moly.  But it is just so huge at that scale, I have tucked away.  Looking forward to more of your build.  I too am a Kartonist.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

2 hours ago, philo426 said:

Guys this kit is strange...the hull has no bottom!Weird!

Pretty sure that's a design feature intended to make the kit more accessible to a younger modeling demographic.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

You could always make a bottom.  Just put the model down on a sheet of poster board and trace it out.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

The windows look remakable compared to the prototype.

21 hours ago, philo426 said:

Gluing the sided on one section at a time.

20190820_155303.jpg

There are severa remakable differences to the windows

IMG_20190821_192113.thumb.png.ff5bb957c765c97dc71f52991bb776e2.png

of the as-built-version - can you do something about this?

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Thats a good start, you did and for $40 it is a good kit. Are you going to build TITANIC a second time? It has a plenty of advantages to stay with cardboard. Look at Doris ROYAL KATHERINE:

So the invest in a good plan will make the work very much easier - and you do not depend on the producers work he handeld over to you. 

Or a little ship with a plenty of research work? The hole shipbuilding is standing to your decission - from a littel Babylonic Euphrat trading boat, Agyptian fishing boat to an ship of the line in its metamorphic way through the years 1600-1950 or an modern rocket cruiser. The parallel effect with the merchant shipping and pure passengerships establishing till 1850. There are kits from.all over the world to find at ebay, wonderful plans and pictures in the museum. 

And that's the other end of shipbuilding: the criminalistic path to your ship by doing everything on your own. 

Do the rest at the big TITANIC kit - and then try a smaller one. A better kit. There are plentys of passenger ships sunk. The biggest lost of life has had Germany 1945 with WIHELM GUSTLOFF and about 7.000 killed refugies from East- and Westprussia. There is OREGON, ANDREA DORIA and ships we never again listen from after ship and passengers left the safety of the habor...

What is your line of ships? Passengerships? Wellknown ships? Little beauties of the sea? 

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

On 8/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, philo426 said:

1529263783906.jpg

If that is the model you are thinking of building next I strongly advise against it. That's a VERY complex kit - go with a few easier ones before trying something that difficult. I'd hate to see it abandoned part way into the build.

Here's a LINK to the first card kit I built. It's a free download that you can print out, or there is the option to buy the printed version. I went with the freebie. They have a few other free ones on that site, there are many other sites that offer free card kits.

Just my recommendation, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi