HMS Bounty Launch by Meredith - Model Shipways

Thanks all.. and yes Mark the lid opens on the chest - I just have to attach the hinges (plan to do that this coming weekend). Seems to be a bit of a drawn out affair - I keep running out of stuff I want to use and cant buy anything locally........ so its a long wait on the postal system. Unless I get it express posted it can take anything up to 5 weeks to arrive - if it doesn't get lost.

Even though I beg and pay for express post or air courier for overseas stuff- many merchants thing they know better and send by ordinary parcel post - which as stated above for parcels within Australia can be 5 weeks and more. Bit frustrating when its a crucial part to finish something off. But I guess I can finish the other oars and barrels without any other supplies. And I still have my Syren to work on - I am up to wales and deck planking etc. That should be fun - but I am tossing up about changing the deck planking to box or something similar... so another wait.................................

I am seriously thinking about doing the boat again in huon pine - for my dad. But I need to rip the huon pine I have. I have been researching bandsaws - but cant make up my mind (and the freight is a killer) - so in the meantime I have purchased a frame saw with a Japanese blade - I have read heaps of good things about them - and I really don't have a lot of timbers to re-saw - but like everything else - I am waiting on delivery  - its been weeks. Hmm.. does that also mean I REALLY NEED a Jim thicknesser :) :)...of course another wait.. wait.. wait. that's all I seem to do lately. Just as well I have the patience to worry a sheep dog!!!!!

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Carpentry is really about the only trade they don't have. Any building maintenance (eg housing) is done off site by a contractor. And due to my work hours - pretty hard to get to see them. I did have one place lined up to do it for me - but I changed jobs and hours. It was an indigenous enterprise - just trying to get off the ground. But they close up at about 3 pm( that's if they bother opening at all :)) and I would want to there when the work was done or you wouldnt know what you wiuld get :)

So most likely for future builds - I will buy timbers already cut to a reasonable size. Something I can cope with on the Jim table saw.

Now if it was metal we were talking about - I have great access to anty sort if machinery!

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - bit of an update. Just been plodding away making all the little bits and pieces. Going to finish the masts tonight - do a big clean up and then start attaching stuff. Almost everything in the photos is just dry fitted.

Finally got the cap rail on - I had to wait for some timber to be sent as I had to re-make them as the supplied stuff just wast right. I got one side on - but decided I didn't like it and didn't want to have to bend it both ways. My hull obviously got a little wider when I put the tween frames in - so lesson learned - I should have braced the top at the exact width before installing the tween frames. No great harm done. Got to use my new saws I purchased from Germany :) A lovely little set of Japanese miniature hand saws (really nice - and boy are they quick when you get the hang of using them) and a very nice jewellers/fret saw (Knew Concepts Fret Saw) - very impressed with that too. One of the little Japanese saws has an amazingly fine kerf and a beautiful smooth cut.

Got the hinges attached to the chest and did 3 more barrels - only 4 more to do.

All I really have left to do is the spars - might get to them tomorrow - and then is just the final assembly. Ohh I will probably make the windlass - not included in the instructions - but the plans have a drawing and I have sort of moved the thwarts (not glued yet - so I can still change my mind) to more easily accommodate it.

Onto the photos:

bounty59.jpg

Staining all the little knees...

bounty60.jpg

bounty61.jpg

bounty62.jpg

bounty63.jpg

Just testing out the placement of the foremast.. had to tie it up because the front thwart is just sitting there too.. glue comes later -

bounty64.jpg

bounty65.jpg

bounty66.jpg

bounty67.jpg

bounty68.jpg

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

And a few more...

bounty69.jpg

bounty70.jpg

Hinges now on chest - Should have made the lid hollow - bit late now. Can always re-make it I guess.

bounty71.jpg

bounty72.jpg

few more barrels done.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

She's looking good and I love the chest.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Very crisp and clean and I love the way the wood colors blend and accentuate.  Beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok.. got the blocks done...and the tiller.... then it was onto the metal/brass brackets to attach tiler to rudder.. that was ok too... blackened them and moved on to the easy part - attaching them to the tiller and rudder...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... rather fiddly. Didn't go nearly as easily as I hoped. I had made the metal bits exactly matching.. but of course that leaves very little room for the nails. Sure I cut them down - but to re-file a little point when they are that short is a pain. What I probably should have done is off set the holes on either side so I could use a longer nail. But its finally done now and on the boat. AND I burnt the cake I was cooking because this too much longer than I anticipated :(

bounty73.jpg

The new blocks with sheave.. forgot to take a pic of the ones that came with the kit.

bounty74.jpg

tiller and metal bits before blackening

bounty75.jpg

finally attached

bounty76.jpg

bounty77.jpg

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Its ok.. I'm on to Mark II of the cake now. This one didn't get burnt/overcooked :)

Bounty on hold...really just need to make the spars and then assemble everything and its done.. might do a little bit each night after work. Then I can get back to Syren. I have been doing little bit on siren - but I am up to the wales and the copper plating and I think I am procrastinating - but like everything once you start - its not as bad or scarey as you think.

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Thanks gents. I actually got the glue out and she is all assembled now. Even the blocks and two rigging lines :). Just have the spars to do - and the sew the sails.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

I have started the sails tonight - but there is very little detail in the instructions. I have done a bit of a search online and would love to see some photos/pictures of what they SHOULD look like - not a "dumbed down" version - then at least I can make my own mind up where to take short cuts or simulate something due to size etc. And I need to workout how thick the rope on the edges should be scale wise. I am presuming it isn't appropriate to have eyelets. How were the real sails attached to the spars? Just lashed between the spar and the rope edge of the sail?

I didn't like the "rope" in the kit and used something I made - but I think it looks too thin (used the same scale as the kit) - so I tried something thicker. still playing with that a bit - and really its only 4 lines - I can re-do them numerous times. I guess I need to do some research to see what the right scale would be.

I think its going to take me longer to work out what to do - than actually doing it :)

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Good Morning Meredith,

3:45  here in Las Vegas, Nv.   Couldn't sleep. Have been following your build.  I'm quite impressed.

Now to your comment about what the sails should look like.

There is a Great book, by a man named John McKay, "The Armed Transport Bounty".  I is very detailed, and upon request Mr.McKay will sell you large scale drawings of his work. At least he has to me.

I believe you may get the book from Amazon.com.

Good luck!

Here's to calm seas and fair winds.

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways

I will have a look for that book - pretty sure I will probably want to make the bounty at some stage as well - so should be very useful.

I have sewn some sails - the first ones were actually better than the ones I ended up with - I like the colour on the first ones better - and the eyelets are much smaller - but probably too small to thread the rope through. So version two got much bigger eyelets and the fabric was a different base colour - so after the dye - they are no quite the same colour as first.

Onto some pics.

bounty78.jpg

bounty79.jpg

bounty80.jpg

bounty81.jpg

bounty83.jpg

bounty84.jpg

bounty85.jpg

bounty86.jpg

bounty87.jpg

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Some more photos..... just have some more oars to do... and whatever else I might put in the boat.

I will probably do it in between other tasks on my Syren.

So for intents and purposes - I can sort of call this finished :)

bounty100.jpg

bounty101.jpg

bounty102.jpg

bounty103.jpg

bounty104.jpg

bounty105.jpg

bounty106.jpg

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

She's a beauty.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A super nice build, Meredith.  She looks fantastic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Meredith, I am building this boat as well. I was wondering how you made the hinges and lock in the toolbox? Would you be able to post a close-up?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel