popeye the sailor

The Thomas Point Shoals lighthouse - BEST models- HO scale by Popeye

hello Yves....thanks for look'in in and the kind comment.   I don't have any plan to mimic the water, but I do plan to add rocks around the pilings and some scenery green to represent seaweed growth.  I haven't done much due to the hectic prep for the holidays,  save for something I've had stuck in the back of my head for some time now........figured I'd let the beast out and breathe.  I hope to get back to doing something meaningful soon :) 

Hello Denis, this Light sure dose look very interesting and that is for sure. I have not been around the Form very much for the last 6 months or so and am sorry for my late coming on this great build. You are doing a wonderful job as we can expect from you. It sure is hard to keep up with you in your changing the types of builds that you have in the last while, you serenely did a nice job on your B17, Well Done. I must look up your Steam Locomotive that will be very interesting to me as I can still remember these along with the cinders that they spudded from there stacks that used to get caught in my hair as I stood between the cars with the upper door opened. A long time ago. My Admiral and I wish you and your family a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year to come. 

Regards   Lawrence  

Hello Lawrence........and a belated happy holidays to you and your admiral as well! :)   I spent the day today taking down the tree and putting away the last bits of holiday cheer,  that the admiral hadn't done.  I also did a few odd jobs that I let go during the holidays.  I'll be getting back to the lighthouse soon.......as well as other projects that clutter my tables........yep........tables!  I'm usually not such a slouch,  but my moods are a bit variable of late.......the B 17 has really given me a run for my money.  I have two others on the roster.  wood envy has affected me as well......half done with the frame for another hull {news on that soon}.  so even though it looks like I've been off the radar,  I've been keeping myself busy.   top it off.......I got a new scroll saw! :)   the admiral wanted to hear how loud it was.......I've been runn'in the old one in the spare room.......it has a lot less noise.  for a test,  I tried to cut a circle freehand.........best darn circle I've ever been able to do!  the best thing is that it takes the 5 inch blades.......it'll save me a lot of time trying to find the 3 inch blades for the old one {I have the thicker ones...it's the thin ones that's a pain to find,  since Sears went out of business 'round here}.   thanks for look'in in........I hope to add more soon.

I hope every one had a great holiday season :) 

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Hello Lawrence........and a belated happy holidays to you and your admiral as well! :)   I spent the day today taking down the tree and putting away the last bits of holiday cheer,  that the admiral hadn't done.  I also did a few odd jobs that I let go during the holidays.  I'll be getting back to the lighthouse soon.......as well as other projects that clutter my tables........yep........tables!  I'm usually not such a slouch,  but my moods are a bit variable of late.......the B 17 has really given me a run for my money.  I have two others on the roster.  wood envy has affected me as well......half done with the frame for another hull {news on that soon}.  so even though it looks like I've been off the radar,  I've been keeping myself busy.   top it off.......I got a new scroll saw! :)   the admiral wanted to hear how loud it was.......I've been runn'in the old one in the spare room.......it has a lot less noise.  for a test,  I tried to cut a circle freehand.........best darn circle I've ever been able to do!  the best thing is that it takes the 5 inch blades.......it'll save me a lot of time trying to find the 3 inch blades for the old one {I have the thicker ones...it's the thin ones that's a pain to find,  since Sears went out of business 'round here}.   thanks for look'in in........I hope to add more soon.

I hope every one had a great holiday season :) 

Hello Denis, Great to hear that you had a great Christmas and a even Better New Year. Your scroll saw sounds great. I have had one for years. I normally buy my blades on Amazon. As the prices are not all that bad and it saves me a lot of running around. Yes I also like the very thin ones. I also cut a thin piece of ply wood and fastened to the saw table to create a zero clearance for cutting those tiny pieces, works great for me, only hang up is it makes the blades replacement just a bit harder as I seldom use the ones that have the pins in the ends. I will catch up on your Steam Locomotive a bit later.

Regards   Lawrence 

the old craftsman scroll saw was easy to change the blade.........there is a tab that you push down on to relieve the pressure.  it can be set in multiple positions.  I haven't tried to change the blade on the new one yet......gotta dull the first one out first  :D  :D  it does run quieter though....and a lot less vibration........the old one,  I could take it out for a walk!  I'll be putting it to good use soon ;) 

time to start back on the light house.   I was going to put the two sections together for a shot,  but found that I didn't cement the walls to the upper part.  kind of a good thing,  'cuz the tabs weren't going into the bottom holes very well.  so I cemented the walls in place on the bottom section.  I'm still planning to trim down the center tube.......this way, all of the electrical parts can be inside the house {not sure where they are per the instructions}.  I bought a couple of red markers Jack.......I think this will remedy the dilemma of the tinted windows.

1214032243_1.jpg.2a37280ca604104fe92c34c22edf19b7.jpg

Denis, you are not that far from Portsmouth, which has a bunch of lighthouses you can tour, some by boat some by land. There is Isle of Shoals, Portsmouth Harbour, Whaleback, Boon Island, Cape Neddick, White Island, to name a few. I have visited these myself.  

Bookmark these 

Maine open lighthouse day

Maine lighthouse museum.  

Edited by Jack12477

we've been wanting to trek up the coast line.......always seems to fizzle out when we get to Hampton.   I recall an invitation I got back when I was doing the Gundalow.  time being what they were,  I never made it out there.

been kinda bee-bopp'in around the projects today........spent some time with the light house.  I had the railing PE sitting on my desk,  along with the posts....tiny little wooden things.  now that the walls are cemented in place on the lower platform,  I felt it was time to get them in place,  before I lose them or something.   starting with the shortest segment,  to the right of the boat launch,  the end post was created and the post {only one} was added to the railing.  once it was assembled,  it was off to the paint booth to paint it black.  the second segment is a few sections longer...added three posts to it,  and it too was taken to the paint booth and painted black.

463979441_2.jpg.fe7f6ca8626e19276ff0f816e7599435.jpg

the first segment was dry by now and could be cemented into place.

231876335_3.jpg.5207da1d55a1ec3cd8ebb8d9f97365db.jpg

the second segment will need the left side end post.  the third segment was made ready.......it needs five posts.

1062880935_4.jpg.505fea4ba8d153418a0d57d2a269b78f.jpg

once these are painted and ready........I can put them in place.   got to run to the store..........Pffffffff!

well I'm a day late.......had to feed the camera....   it gave me a chance to touch up the second section of railings and install the last section.   here is the second section......the boat winch will sit in between the posts.

124201654_1.jpg.c4b92b6e8359de0174c338e0c90d85f5.jpg

281634738_2.jpg.33bee10f4a3b96bae333b7c138f17a08.jpg

I haven't done any of the rocky stuff........I wanted to get the roof on before I did it.    the last section is in place.

1071732362_3.jpg.ca30640a530c8f1461df4348f55f14f1.jpg

the next things I thought should go on,  were the out house and shed roofs.

531024779_5.jpg.2720e746622039b051b9f56a00f10782.jpg

768390614_6.jpg.45cab5ecf5da9c37cbd55df5ba0d9658.jpg

the boat winch is assembled........it need paint :)   more soon!

hello John.....always a pleasure to see you {post} :)   finally I'm making some progress on this project.........and getting wood envy to get back to the Progress too  :D    I have been dabbling in wood a little her and there, every time the itch gets too great.....I'll get there eventually.  I finally created a hull frame for those misfit parts I got a while ago.  so......oh yes,  I ain'ts done wit me ships yet emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.cff71113af113c3b9add2078573e2798.gif

...a certain plastic ship build is starting to wake up........progress posted soon :) 

Question:  Are you planning for some sort of interior partition (say, of card) to prevent it being see-through?

In looking at other pile lighthouses, some of those photos seem to be very see-through; others less-so.  Architectural fashion of the day was to enclose every room, "open concept' would be years later. 

Could go either way and not really affect the build at all.

And naturally, the build is the thing.

Mark, Lou, these are not kits. They are resin (????) cast and come exactly as you see.  They are Collectibles.  When we were restoring our local lighhouse we started collecting them. The company that made them, Harbour Lights, went out of business after the founder/designer passed away. 

Edited by Jack12477

a few spritz of compressed air would spruce 'er up nicely ;)    I leave the collectible stuff up to the admiral....the only things I collect are Budweiser memorabilia and models.  the screw pile looks to be quite rugged,  unlike what I've assembled here.  so far,  I had to re-cement a couple of the cables........I chalked it up to poor design of the attachment points.   I backed off on an idea to put a compartment under the main deck.......I would have had to reconfigure how all the cables were run.  would have been a good place for the circuit board.

that had crossed my mind Capnmac....I had also planned to add a light or two inside.  the post you see in the center may be removed,  since I now plan to have the circuit board inside.........I can run the wires up through the center,  wire it in,  and then send it up into the beacon.  I've adjusted the flash interval {may tweak it to be a bit faster},  but the wires are not coded,  so I'll need to test it again to see the proper way to wire it up {it doesn't have any paper work to indicate this}.  once I get the lighting in place,  I can better get a sense of where to go with it.