HMS Victory by David56 - Panart - 1:78 scale

welcome to my log. the Victory is my 3rd ship but this is my first build log, so please bear with me while i get the hang of it🙂 So far I have completed the frames to the false keel and have started to install the dummy cannon planks, I am taking my time with this build because the instructions are something to be desired.

Hi all. Was planning to work on my Victory this weekend but a few things came up so could not get as much done as i hoped. I finish installing the decks and started the planking. It is slow going as I want to get it right the first time. The picture shows where I am on the planking. A few done and a lot more to go 

image.jpg

Your build looks absolutely fine so far, well done

I'm delaying the option to fit copper tiles until I see how the first layer of planking turns out.

I'm more or less at the same point as you on my Corel build but the really challenging parts are up next - lower hull/stern/bow

I'd post some pictures but I'm currently soaking up the sun in Gran Canaria 😎

Hi everyone. I am still working on the planking of the Victory, things are going slow but for a good reason. My wife and I are watching our 1 year old grandson this weekend. Not sure how much time i will get to work on my project. I will post more pictures as I get more of the planking completed hopefully next week

Did not get as much of the planking done as i wanted but finished the top section on  one side. Hopefully tonight i can continue on the top section on the other side. Slow going but I think it is coming along Pretty good. Here are a couple of pictures showing the planking so far

AA9CCC09-63A8-4566-8823-B6085810EC61.jpeg

1D98B226-0370-4DD5-ABDF-891B0E641CD1.jpeg

hi everyone. work has been really crazy the last week. the company I work for was sold to another company so a lot of changes going on and long hours to get them completed.  i have completed the upper planking and have started working on the lower planking.  things are going slow but moving along. i hope to get back to work on my Victory very soon and will post pictures of my progress once iI can get back to work on it.  

Question on the decking. The decks on this kit have the planking etched in the wood just like it would have beed done if i put deck planks on. Should i just color the space between planks with a pencil to show chalking or would it be better to plank the decks. The kit came with strips 3mm by .5 mm   That is the same size as the etching in the decks are. The instruction  book and plans do not say what the strips are used for.   Any help would be appreciated 

Hi all.  i am looking for some help. i am looking at the copper tiles of my Victory. I am making the Parant 1/78 scale. I have been looking at pictures of others when they did the copper tiles. but what i am have a question about is how many roxs of copper tiles go on each side, the instructions are not very good. they say draw a waterline but does not say how high the line is.  I do not want to go to high where i do not have enough tiles or to low and have it not look right. my tiles are .5mm wide.  any suggestions will be more than welcome. 

Hi all. Sorry i have not posted in a while but have been working a-lot of hours at work. Have only been able to work on my Victory a couple hours a week. Hopefully that will change soon. I am still working on the first planking. It is going slow. Had to remove and replace a few planks because they did not look right to me. Even though they will be covered by second planking i thought it better to remove and replace them. I have attached a couple pictures showing my progress. Hope to get more done in coming weeks

8FE977E0-4D3D-460D-9F21-19B78F7E05B8.jpeg

6A7C2D0F-C502-4491-AE73-14CC29F82191.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting a little time to work on my Victory. I have finished the 1st planking and now off to sand it smooth. Then i can start on the 2nd planking of walnut planks. I examined the walnut planks and all look good. There are a couple that are not in great shape but can cut the bad part of them off and can use the rest. 

Great building David.

Two questions:

1. The Victory is on my 'bucket list' (if ever I finish on my current Vasa build), so what is the kit make? Is it Corel and how have you found materials, instructions etc? Did you review any of the other Victory kit manufactures before deciding on this one?

2. What is timber of the planking? It looks light in colour so I am assuming Obechi, but what does the kit say? This is the first planking and are the timbers the same for the second planking as the first? If not, what is the timber of the second, finish planking?

Excellent effort, she will be a fine model.

Regards,

Peter G.

Peter

thanks fir the comments. As for your questions

the model manufacture is Panart. I did look at other manufactures   I did purchase the full kit from DeAgostini but returned it when i ordered it they told me all packs were in stock but when it arrived i was missing a couple of packs. When i called customer service they told me was on back order. several  months later they finally told me it would be at least February before i would get missing items.  They are having inventory issues. So i returned it and bought this one. The material for my Victory is great but the instructions are not very good. But you get 8 large pages of drawings that are easy to follow. They are very vague so you need to look ahead and use your experience in building  other models. 

The first planking is lime wood and is very easy to work with. 6 mm wide 1.5 thick. The second planking is walnut. 6mm wide and 1mm thick

Other then the instructions i am very pleased with my Victory kit

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, are you using the instructions that came with the kit in different languages? I found a copy of the plans for the 776 and 738 on the Mantua website that someone re-did in english which I think so far are easier to follow.... still not great but better that the multi language version. I started the 738 about a week ago and at the point of planking the upper deck but it doesn't look like the kit contains enough planking to do that deck not to mention the larger main deck, poop deck, and the decking at the bow. How about you?

In addition to downloading the instructions to the 738, I also downloaded the 776 instructions. I found the instructions are basically the same but different. I found that if I got confused with the 738 wording in the instructions, I could look at the 776 and it would be a little different but helped clear up any confusion. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Daliab

Daliab

for the planking of the decks I had just enough to finish the planking. I to thought i did not have enough. 

For the manual yes i am using the one that came with the kit.  Tonight i will look on the website and see if can find it

currently i have finished the first planking. So now i am sanding the hull to prepare it for the second planking

Here's all of them. Note Victory 738 is in four parts.

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/downloads/2-uncategorised/37-english-translations

I bought my kit from them and had it shipped to me in Nebraska.  Great price, fast service. Kit came to me very well packaged.

Bob

Edited by Daliab

Well i finally finished sanding the first layer of hull planking and am satisfied with the results. The instructions say to put the second layer of planking on in full strips. I am finding that the full strips is a little difficult in keeping them level and tight against the previous plank. Since the hull is painted and copper tiles. I decided to cut the planks in 1/3’s and stager the joints by one or two frames.  It looks good and easier to work with. I will post pictures after i get a few rows of the second planking completed

David56, were you able to find the English versions of the build instructions from the link sent to you?  I find them a little easier to follow than the other multi-language version although I use both in conjunction with each other.  How about you?