HMS Victory by David56 - Panart - 1:78 scale

Here is where i am now. I have started the second layer of planking. Going a little slow because this layer is what everyone will see. The walnut strips are in good shape only a couple had bad spots that i removed. 

6FD9E18C-06F4-4751-BC4A-80314BAF6552.jpeg

Edited by David56
Misspelled word

It's really shaping up nicely!  Nice even planking.  Hope my Vic come out as nice.  You're blazing the trail for me as I am referring to your build with great interest.  Understand about going slowly.  I figured I'll do the same thing with the first layer as this is the first build I've planked.  Do you have a picture of the stern of your build?  The picture you posted on 22 Sept doesn't really show how you ended the planking in the stern.  I have made some balsa blocks that I can carve as a filler but it will really be an aggressive angle to carve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Returning to building the ship tomorrow after a week in the Dominican Republic. Dodged the winter storm across the US. 

David56 it's really looking good! I finished the first layer and did some sanding and wood filler. How smooth did your ship need to be before you started the 2nd planking? I look at it and think good enough but....? I compared with the previous pic you posted on 30 Oct and mine looks like yours below the water line. Hope mine comes out as good as your is going. Keep plugging away at it. You're blazing the trail.

Edited by Daliab

Daliab

i got mine really smooth so that there were high or low spots i use wood filler to fill low spots and small gaps. The smoother you get the first layer the less problem you will have will the second. On the second layer only had to do sanding around the bow and then a fine sanding over the rest of hull to get it smooth. You do not want any high and low spots when you start the copper tiles 

• 3 weeks later...

Have made some good progress since my last post. I have completed cutting out the gun ports and installed the gunwales. After giving the hull a final sanding i made a jig to draw the waterline. I have applied the first coat of the yellow ochre.  I am thinking it will take about 3 coats of the yellow ochre. then i will mask it off and apply the black paint.  Them to start coppering. This will be the first ship i have done installing the copper tiles. 

I finished the painting of the hull and the gun port liners. After they dried i glued them into the gun ports. I have to work this week end so on Monday i will be starting the copper tilling of the hull. Reading other builders posts this is a long process. So will be taking my time. I will post some pictures after a get a couple of rows completed

started the copper tiling of the hull. It is a very slow process but have found that using curved tweezers works well and gives better control in putting them in place. I am also using an xacto knife   With a curved blade to cut the tiles. There may be a better way to cut them but the curved blade works well for me

34FBB66A-91D4-45F1-A39B-F4DE18FA2A51.jpeg

CCF67A15-D4CD-4F9E-9D22-0AA035E28D9C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Copper tape works well too.  I’ve used it for two models now.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, has been a while since my last post but my Victory has been on hold due to some health issues(knee problems).  I have completed the copper tiling of the hull and finished the stern. I have started the bow, but since being out of work for a while, work  is being a priority so do not know how long it will take to finish the bow section. Hopefully i can get back to working on the Victory on a regular basis very soon.   happy building everyone