Agamemnon is this a kit or scratch-built?

I recently obtained this large Agamemnon from a friend, and was wondering if any of you can identify if it was made from a kit?  To me it looks a little like the Caldercraft kit but with full sails.  

Most of the parts are wood. The plastic parts include the cannons, the red enclosures around them, and the ornamentation above the windows in the back.

I would like to replace the cannons if possible with some that are higher quality than the shiny plastic ones, perhaps made of brass or black metal. Are there any model ship parts suppliers you can recommend?  That’s a lot of cannons to replace !   Thank you for any help you can give me.   Steve

20190820_200522.jpg

20190820_200545.jpg

20190820_200600.jpg

20190820_200709.jpg

20190820_200747.jpg

20190820_200822.jpg

20190820_200858.jpg

20190820_200918.jpg

20190820_201009.jpg

20190820_201102.jpg

Steve,

This model appears to be a Chinese knock-off of the Agamemnon kit from Caldercraft (English mfr.). It is possible that some of the components came from an aftermarket purchase of the Caldercraft Photo-etched sheets (assessing the stern area), but this is difficult to accurately determine by looking only at your photos. The cannon appear to be brass, not plastic, and there are several sources for better cannon replicas. One source is Syren Shipmodel Company (there's a link here on the main site page on the right- just scroll down to their ad). Another source is Cornwall Model Boats (in the U.K., just Google). There are other sellers of genuine turned brass cannon of differing quality. Should you decide to "upgrade" this model's cannon, be prepared to spend upwards of $250-300, based on my two vendor recommendations here (assuming you replace all of them). Others will possibly offer you other alternate sources.

The most important detail about the model's cannon is that would not have been "brass"- gold and shiny, but rather, matte black (to simulate cast iron) and of more realistic scale. Another considerably less expensive alternative would be to simply paint the cannon with matte black acrylic (they will need to be removed obviously, but you would need to do this anyway for fitting replacements). Your friend can easily do this, assuming he's the builder- and, most importantly, not offended by your request...😡

This large model is certainly impressive and its builder did a reasonably good job with it.

You've come to the #1 spot on the internet for opinions about ship models; good finding!

Ron

Secretary,

Connecticut Marine Model Society

www.ctshipmodels.org

PS Should you have any other questions about this model, including more cannon details..shall we say, "just fire away!"😁

PPS I forgot to mention that you can also purchase cast resin (plastic), black cannon (in various sizes) from Syren Ship Model (link: https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/turned-brass-cannon.php); these will save a little money, especially if you do a entire refit.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thank you very much Ron, for all your helpful information.    The person who built it passed away, and his wife gave it to me as she was looking for a home for his ship model collection (this was the only large one).

I may take your suggestion and just paint the cannons matte black as I think that color would look better and more authentic.  

Am still looking for a large detailed model of the Bluenose II or another 2 mast schooner, but the ones made overseas don't have the level of detail I was hoping to find.

Anyway, I am grateful to you for your advice and ideas.  

Best regards,  Steve