Blue jacket revenue cutter boom traveler question

Duanelaker

I have noticed in the plans and instructions that there is no mention of installing a brass loop on the traveler before installing the traveler, how ever there is a picture of it on the instructions.  Do I need to install this and what should I use as there is no reference to a part number.

95211287-FC76-45E1-ACC1-2BC5836DF2DB.jpeg

990E2859-10D7-483C-81C9-4942C21864EA.jpeg

Likely it’s a good idea to attach that lower sheet block now, your instinct is quite right. If it was me, I’d strop the block using wire and I’d just form an eye over the traveler (often called a Horse) while I was at it.

I’m skeptical of the single block shown in the photo, I believe a double block is more likely given the loads involved with the Main Sheet. In my opinion. 

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thank you for your response!  I will look into what you are saying and hopefully do what works!  This is only my second model (first with real rigging), I have completed a dory and I am also working on the AL Bounty Jolly at the same time.  I have come to realize my skill is not what everyone else's is, but I have to start somewhere even if its ugly.  I have a hard time understanding that I am not going to produce museum quality for quite some time, if ever.

Hi there is no part number because you have to form the piece from 1/32 brass rod as per the photo, bend the ends over and insert into predrilled holes in the position shown, job done, a little ca should hold it in well enough, the block to be attached would have either an eye or a hook to move along the traveller as frankie says above which you could fit now or when rigging

Hth regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I understood the 1/32” brass transforms into the traveler (as the instructions were clear for that), my question was how/when/what to connect the block to it as there was no instruction on when or how to do it, I might use the eye as you mentioned or twist wire around the block I guess.  I’ll have to look others logs I guess.

Looks like a found a picture on another build log that explains it

33D212CD-ECCE-4286-8D2F-503DBCAAD1A3.png