alpayed

Danmark by alpayed - Billing Boats - Kit bash

Here are some pics of my attempt at bashing a Billings Danmark.

The model was started by another person who unfortunately will never see the finished model. (how often does that happen)

It was just a painted hull when I started. I stripped and refinished, then laid the decks. It's pretty much scratch from there.

Some components from the kit are being used, turnbuckles, belaying pins for example.

Allan

P8232966aa.JPG

P8232958aa.JPG

P8232967aa.JPG

P8232956aa.JPG

P8232974aa.JPG

P8232980aa.JPG

P8232977aa.JPG

Hi Allan,

Wow, what a great model so far! She looks super. I have a very old Danmark kit which I have just started. However, the instructions are so old and basic that I have contacted Billing to get some full size drawings.

I will be checking in on your build log from time to time and get some hints and tips. You have put the bar pretty high...

Peter

Hi Peter.

I think the kit that was given to me was pretty old too.

There is a a newer one with updated fittings I think.

I have accumulated a lot of images/plans etc. PM me and I will send the stuff to you.

Their facebook page is good for photos.

https://www.facebook.com/skoleskibet.danmark

This xls may be useful. however its a work in progress also.

Danmark_rigging.pdf rigging1.xlsx

On 9/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, Mirabell61 said:

What about rigging and sails ?

Regarding the rigging, I have been working on getting my ropewalk to produce very fine rope.

I have perfected getting it to wind two single strands giving a rope diameter of 0.2mm.

I think rayon is the best as it produces a thread with no fluff or fur.

1 strand x 2 =0.2mm

1 strands x 3 =0.3mm

1 strands x 4 =0.4mm

2 strands x 2 = 0.4mm  (1x4 looks better)

2 strand x 3 = 0.5mm

2 strands x 4 = 0.6mm

4 strands x 3 = 0.7mm

Allan

P9083043bb.JPG

P9083048bb.JPG

Nils,  I see you have built Pamir.   One of our members (Ship modelling society of Victoria.) served on Pamir for many years.

He visits NZ (where she operated from) often for reunions but I think not for much longer. He is a wealth of knowledge.

He still holds his masters.

Allan

Good morning Allan,

Many thanks for looking in

yes, I wanted to build a tallship, and was evaluating between "Gorch Fock" 3-mast bark, and "Pamir" 4-mast bark. In the end I built both, whereby my "Pamir" is representing the version in which she foundered, with only 6 young men surviving that tragic loss way back in 1957....

Greetings from Glinde, in Germany

Nils

Hi Allan,

The Danmark is looking great!  I look forward to seeing the progress of this model project.  With the bowsprit attached, how long is the model?

Don

I built the Billings Danmark several years ago and it was one of my all time favorites to build. It was a pleasure to build, but it wasn't nearly as stunning as yours, man that is a real beauty.

Really clean precise building and the rope work is top shelf friend.  I just purchased Billings Esmeralda. and I hope I can do just 1/2 the job you have done.  Look forward to more.

Rick

Hi guys.

Thanks for the kind comments.

A couple of pics of the lower masts. (so far)

This work is not hard, just time consuming, take your time and have fun. Some of these parts are my second and third attempt.

I look at the work of others on this site and get a lot of inspiration. I get a lot of satisfaction too.

At this scale it's at the limit of my ability. (at this stage) But I keep trying. And so should you.

Allan

PA203585aa.JPG

PA203589aa.JPG

PA203579aa.JPG

Edited by alpayed