milw

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Milw - Scale 1:48

I really like my Dremel Scroll Saw that I got through Home Depot (should be $60, maybe a tad less). The saw is very accurate and easy to use, the only one issue I have is no tilt-base (although I don't really need it thanks to my disc and belt sander). I have yet to get a modeling table saw nor do I have any lathe as of yet. Small steps but do what I can with what I have.

Brian :)

Dont forget your rabbet strip between those.  That changes everything and you would be surprised how much the shape changes.  So avoid tweaking your stem until after you can test with the rabbet strip in position.

Chuck

...and, mwelp, already messed up and sanded the keel end down to 1/8th”,042FD947-7F45-4727-BF93-1CC09E7B8FBD.thumb.jpeg.1a91193c76b0689e13ca7ecd00dc438c.jpeg DOH!

Is this terrible enough that I should try replacing with a new part cut from the 1/4” cedar?

Scott,

The knee looks nice! It looks like your trying to cut right on the bulkhead template lines. You could cut the bulkheads a 1/64" or so outside those lines to be safe. A lot easier to remove material than to add it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, thats great advice. Now if I can only keep the cut line from wandering!

cheers- Scott

It’s the ‘new’ blade that came with the saw, but I can’t vouch for its quality. I’ve ordered a set of Flying Dutchman blades (seems appropriate ;)) and will install one of those. Any suggestion on TPI and speed for 1/4” ply?

Everyone has their own preference for blades and speed. I use a double tooth 24 TPI blade made by Saw Bird.

It's a very thin and has minimal tear out. As for speed I set mine at a middle speed.

Experiment with different blades and speeds on scrap wood and see what works best for you.

I hope this helps.

Approaching the rigging stage for my 1:48 HMS Surprise, so refreshening on the Winchelsea- I'm going to go with the laser cut frames from Chuck, otherwise this will be a 5 year project!

Good choice!  Every problem I’ve had on my Winnie has stemmed from my decision to cut out my own bulkheads.  It has definitely added a lot of time to my build.