I really like my Dremel Scroll Saw that I got through Home Depot (should be $60, maybe a tad less). The saw is very accurate and easy to use, the only one issue I have is no tilt-base (although I don't really need it thanks to my disc and belt sander). I have yet to get a modeling table saw nor do I have any lathe as of yet. Small steps but do what I can with what I have.

Brian :)

• 2 weeks later...

It’s the ‘new’ blade that came with the saw, but I can’t vouch for its quality. I’ve ordered a set of Flying Dutchman blades (seems appropriate ;)) and will install one of those. Any suggestion on TPI and speed for 1/4” ply?

Everyone has their own preference for blades and speed. I use a double tooth 24 TPI blade made by Saw Bird.

It's a very thin and has minimal tear out. As for speed I set mine at a middle speed.

Experiment with different blades and speeds on scrap wood and see what works best for you.

I hope this helps.

• 10 months later...

Good choice!  Every problem I’ve had on my Winnie has stemmed from my decision to cut out my own bulkheads.  It has definitely added a lot of time to my build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt worry about it.  The stuff on the stem will be all painted black so when the time comes you can just fill it and sand it smooth.  Not to mention that it would be near impossible to see that detail behind the head rails and head grating.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rusty! 

but Sigh, there are at least two things wrong now. One easily fixed (I put all frames with etch marks forward) and the other, not so easy perhaps. I was puzzled by the Chapter 1 mentioning 3 bow filler parts; no I say in my mind, theres 4: 2 copies of BF2 (identical, so that counts as one, maybe?) and two different BF3, obviously one for each side.

Today I unrolled the plan sheet again (going to tack it up after this!!) and lo and behold, theres a 3/64 “BF1”! But wait, those BFs were 1/4”... it slowly sank in, and with my glasses on I can now see that there are 3 BF pieces per side!

Arrghhh. BFs 2 and 3 solidly glued in place, meaning the inner space between the BF3s is now too small by 3/32”....

I think I can trim the inner ply off of the BF3s to remediate the space, and perhaps add 3/64” to both outsides? 

Other than that, I think I’m in good shape to begin fairing the frames. Wish me luck!

-Scott

9E607CFA-8F58-49D0-8EC6-F004EA74205C.jpeg