Sign in to follow this  
src

Commercial Photo etching?

I have placed this same query in the traders and dealers part of MSW also.

I am in somewhat urgent need of some photo etching. My N.D. prevents me from giving too many details in public but think of a small circuit board encased in a clear material. the size will be under 4x5". I see Daffi has an etching company but he is out of the U.S. and just getting them here in time may be problematic.

Does anyone know of a photo etching place that will take on a small rush job?

Thanks for any help,

Sam

Are you looking for a photo-etched metal sheet or a "printed" circuit board (glass fiber resin core with multiple layers of etched traces)? What quantity are you looking for? Metal photo etch and circuit boards are not the same thing.

There are numerous printed circuit board manufacturers on line. Some will do small lots with a day or two turnaround.

Likewise, there are photo-etch shops on line.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for replying. It is hard to describe in public what we are trying to do with out breaking my Non Disclosure agreement - we build theme park attractions and this client is very strict about intellectual property. The closest I can come, is imagine something with very fine detail like trace portions of a very detailed circuit board encased in a clear resin. Like a circuit board but not, no FRP core. What I am seeing on some of the WWII ships here is in line with what we are looking for. We only have to deliver one item but would have ended up having several etched as there is more to the end product than I have given here. I started here as I thought someone here might be more interested in the process and a small order as well as helping out a fellow ship modeler with a couple of bucks.

As it has turned out, the guy who does our water jet cutting has a line on a laser cutter, we are having the parts laser cut as I type this.

Thanks again,

Sam

Sam,

Laser cutting is probably the best way to create one-off pieces like you describe.

We have used clear two-part potting materials for water tight casings for oceanographic equipment. When it sets up it forms a water clear plastic like material. You can enclose just about anything this way, but you need to degass the stuff in a vacuum chamber to eliminate bubbles.

Or you might be able to sandwich the metal sheet between two sheets of plastic.

Phil

Phll,

The final assembly will be potted like you describe, not only degassed, but then put in a pressure pot and cured under pressure.

We get the parts back from the laser cutter today, a little later than we wanted but better than not at all.

Sam