Hi Kevin, is it an external motor?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Ship Ahoy Models has exactly what you need.  He makes a conversion set with a larger motor and everything you need to make the saw more powerful.

Kurt

http://shipahoymodels.com

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

38 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Hi Kevin, is it an external motor?

Ignore my question, Kurt has the better solution for you. :)

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I have the Ship Ahoy motor installed on my Preac.  It is a lot more powerful than the original equipment.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 4 months later...

With the new upgrade on the Preac, will it be able to cut 1/8 thick brass?  Am looking for a good saw for cutting copper and brass and the upgrade may be just what am looking for.  I know, you ask why not just use a jeweler's saw. Its a little slow and am not getting any younger.  Thanks. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Gary i never ordered the motor as i got my old motor fixed, I have a Jim Byrnes and a Proxxon table saw, so i have a bit of  over kill in the table saw area. I actually use the Dremel with a cutting wheel, to cut brass as although i have the blades to cut metal for many of my other saws  it just so easy to use the Dremel. I also have a blade for the Proxxon band saw, but it takes 10 minutes to set it up and 30 seconds to use Dremel. I suppose if i had alot of cutting i would set up one of my other saws.

i use the Jim Byrnes for my regular wood working task, the Preac as my fine delicate woodworking saw, Proxxon as my saw for heavy work. 

Hi Kevin. Like you said it takes a lot longer to set the band saw up and about 30 seconds to cut the material. What I want to do is set up a small band saw as a dedicated saw for cutting metal copper, brass and others down to workable sizes, when it is a little on the thick side, so I don't have to spend ten minutes changing the tool over to do a 30 second cut.  I also think doing this will keep the cut metal more square for working.  The motor on the Preac runs, its just really under powered and has a hard time cutting anything. Figure that the upgrade will at least make it able to cut 3/32  thick materal and will be a dedicated saw for doing grating. My Byrnes saw is the real work horse and  cut's most of the ship wood with the  inca and Grizzly cutting down the larger pieces for the Byrnes .  Gary  

I am sure what you are proposing will work fine. I have been using my Proxxon chop saw when i have lots of repeated  cuts to do. With the Naparima i will have 44 post to cut and will use this saw to make the cuts. However it would not be useful for making cuts on large pieces of brass material. 
multiple saws are a wonderful luxury when you have multiple set up to make. 

7CB49974-F456-48F3-955B-CD6100731C42.jpeg

As for replacement motors in general, it may be a good idea to look into the high-torque motors for electro-scooters. Their arrival on the market means that spare motors are now cheap and easy to come by. There seem to be 12V, 24V, 36V and 48V brushed versions available on the wellknown on-line market places. High torque means chunky motors, so you will have to see, whether it fits into your existing equipment.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 2 years later...

Try this one...   https://modelshipsahoy.com/  It's what shows up in a Google search.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

I bought the Ship Ahoy upgrade early on.  Perhaps Ship Ahoy is using another type of belt now, but the joint on the belt that came with my upgrade kit was much stiffer that the rest of the belt and made what was a smooth- running, little saw into a lumpy-running, albeit more powerful, little saw.  I put the old motor and belt back on.  I have a Jim saw now but kept the Preac for use when very narrow slitting blades are called for.  Having two saws can save time too.  One can be left set-up for a run of parts and the other used for one-off cuts.   

The belt on my kit was great - smooth and flexible.  Love the saw now - had it since 1994 and I feel it finally works as it should. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

18 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

I just got on

try typing “ ship ahoy model “ in google

kevin

Not sure what is going on. The link just goes to a blank screen. The "ship ahoy model" you suggested sends me to "model ships ahoy" which is something else again. I will try to call. Thanks (Enjoy your videos!)