Ordering CNC milled carving sets for the Winnie or resin cast sets

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your attention and reply to this post ! Thank you so much for telling me your thoughts and sending me useful message...and now I'll talk about the production cycle of boxwood and Jujube wood's carvings.It's the topic of concern to all.

As you can see, when I get an approximate demand, I will produce it in sequence. Now I know the approximate amount of demand and most people tend to buy boxwood sets, so I will produce 20 boxwood sets and 5 Jujube wood sets in the first batch.

image.png.1190b6ceb2b4df0d3f03e8b9b8b9634b.png

I estimate it will take about two months to complete 25 sets of carvings.Express delivery to the United States and Europe is almost 5-10 days, usually five working days. Payment is Paypal, very fast and convenient.Both products are all free shipping.

I will keep releasing progress information (pictures).

Thanks!

Jack

Edited by hjx

They should be just as nice Bob...:D

In addition, if I might say to the group........

You guys probably guessed that I am a big fan of "participation".  I cant tell you how much I enjoy seeing the active build logs in this group.  I tried giving a discount up front on the longboat kits as a way to possibly encourage participation with build logs.  But that ended up biting me in the biscuit so-to-speak.   Many guys started a log to just get a discount and soon after a kit was shipped simply abandoned the log.  It wasnt in the spirit of the group which I was trying to grow.  I learned my lesson.

SO.....with the Winnie Group I am trying something different.  The carvings are going to be one of the more expensive installments of this project.  Probably that and the cannons and carriages.  So when the time comes to list all of the resin casting sets for sale in my shop, they will probably retail for about $150 give or take.   BUT, I will be offering a steep coupon code discount for folks who have an active build log within the group.  probably 35 to 40% off that retail price.  This will just be for the resin castings.  But it is a way for me once again to say thank you for your ACTIVE participation which I believe should be rewarded if I can possibly do so.   All active members with logs who have shown activity on the project, if they contact me I will give them the code for the discount on that resin casting set.

Dont send me a PM yet though......wait until they are in stock and I announce their availability.  Participation has its rewards.  :cheers:

So if you are someone who has never started  a log on MSW before....maybe this will help nudge you into starting and actively updating your progress.   More discounts may follow on future installments and min kits as well.   But again, these will only be given to folks with active logs who have shown progress........:D

21 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

...... and how to order from Jack.

Mike Draper

Hi Mike, thank you for your message,

According to the current statistics, I will arrange the first batch of production. When I finish the first batch of carving, I will inform every member to start ordering, you can choose to order or give up.

As for how to order, it's quite easy. Payment by paypal, you will receive an international express package. I have sent it to America and Europe several times without any loss. If the package is missing but not for your reasons, I will send you a new one.

If you give up the order, you can either give up permanently or reorder, but if you reorder after giving up, you will be placed in the next batch.

I'm registering for a website called CNCShipmodel, but I haven't finished it yet. I hope to become a sponsor of MSW, where you can check and order carvings in the future.

Jack

Edited by hjx

You can put me down for a boxwood set, please.

thanks! Scott

Scott

In progress: 1:48 HMS Surprise 1796 (DeAgostini/AL)

1:48 HMS Winchelsea 1764 (NRG group project)

1:48 City of Buffalo Lake Steamer 1890 (Dumas)

Finished:  1:48 Lackawanna Steam Tug 1900 (Dumas)

3/16" scale Kate Cory whaler 1856 (Model Shipways)

1:48 Puritan 1885 (Mamoli)

Hello, everyone. I will introduce the cleaning and polishing of boxwood/Jujube wood carvings.These operations apply to all of my carvings (include figurehead).

1.Don't use sandpaper or a file to clean or polish carving, because my carving is so fine that you can see his/her eyes (or even eyeballs).Otherwise, some details will be lost. But you can modify the back or edge of carving with a file.

image.png.eba8f35b13a521b000fdc5aa595915c8.png

2.All the members who ordered and eventually purchased this set of carvings,I will send him a set of special polishing/cleaning brushes free of charge.

image.png.0f0259e1d9987882f35fcb1bc65bf547.png

Let me show you how to use it. This is the carving of the newly carved ,it still looks  a  little rough,but it's not polished or cleaned at all.In fact, he is very smooth, just because the sawdust on the surface has not been cleaned.

image.png.8526987897f8c6112856c3b194793587.png

Install it on your Dremel (or mini-miller), turn on the switch, and the brush spins fast, but it's very soft, just like your pet cat touches your hand.image.png.3fc333a679a2ff13135bae1d645db514.png

image.png.9aa9bba0bbf8fc005d97fbea1ef3ac23.png

image.png.13ed90bf5c735f46c6746f1fcc0e5e2e.png

After a simple cleaning, about a minute. It looks a lot cleaner. In this way, you can polish carvings without losing details.I'm sorry my camera is not good enough. You can refer to Mr. Chuck's figurehead.

After further polishing, the surface will have the unique oily effect of boxwood, you can also wax him.

You can also glue the relief onto the model and polish it. The brush won't damage your model. Please note that before sticking to the model, do not wax it, if so glue is difficult to stick.

Many modelbuilders are so helpless to make models dirty. Models dirty only depend on polishing. Fine relief or figure head can easily lose details in the polishing process. I recommend a simple, inexpensive and practical tool, which is

image.png.42867cf96d898cd02cb3998b46632c4a.png

This is ‘finger-cot’,made of latex, it also protects your fingers from paint or glue damage.

Thanks

Jack

Edited by hjx

On 9/6/2019 at 5:21 AM, hjx said:

Hi Mike, thank you for your message,

According to the current statistics, I will arrange the first batch of production. When I finish the first batch of carving, I will inform every member to start ordering, you can choose to order or give up.

As for how to order, it's quite easy. Payment by paypal, you will receive an international express package. I have sent it to America and Europe several times without any loss. If the package is missing but not for your reasons, I will send you a new one.

If you give up the order, you can either give up permanently or reorder, but if you reorder after giving up, you will be placed in the next batch.

I'm registering for a website called CNCShipmodel, but I haven't finished it yet. I hope to become a sponsor of MSW, where you can check and order carvings in the future.

Jack

Jack: That works great for me. Thanks. I will be watching for when the sets become available. 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Nope....unfortunately you have to make it without the column.   Just make the back of it flat.    I will be providing the columns as klaser cut pieces and they wont match otherwise.  It will be hard to cut away the cnc column at that point.

I am a big fan of the boxwood carvings, but I am curious about painting the carvings. Will any of them require painting? I’ve seen a lot of admiralty models with painted carvings. If this is the case then perhaps the cast resin ones would be appropriate and boxwood for ones that need to remain natural finish.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

On 9/29/2019 at 12:32 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

I am a big fan of the boxwood carvings, but I am curious about painting the carvings. Will any of them require painting? I’ve seen a lot of admiralty models with painted carvings. If this is the case then perhaps the cast resin ones would be appropriate and boxwood for ones that need to remain natural finish.

Hi scrubbyj427,

Wood and resin carvings can be dyed.If you make a cherry or pear version this time, you can dye it. If you choose my carvings, what ever it is jujubewood or boxwood, I can send you a few extra carvings for dyeing experiments,But the carving I gave you is defective. These defective products can not be sold because of the defect of wood grain, but can be used for dyeing experiments.It's better to brush a colorless primer first, otherwise the wood grain will deepen and scrap.

Thanks

Jack

Edited by hjx

You can paint them but using the contemporary models as a basis of inspiration, they are normally left natural.  Just apply a finish coat like wipe on poly.   In fact I would recommend not using wipe on poly and instead just using some sanding sealer or even spraying with a light coat of matte fixative spray.  You dont want them to darken too much or discolor along the end grain so this would be my preferred option.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck and Jack,

as I approach that stage I will make a decision on whether or not I will paint. I’ll likely build as intended using boxwood as you described Chuck.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Jack and Chuck, these are so beautiful.  I can't wait to get them! Please put me down for a set in boxwood.  I aspire to build a model worthy of that investment.

Is it my imagination or is the woman in these carvings MUCH prettier than the one on the contemporary model?  FYI: this is not a complaint!

Edited by Matt D
Adding my selection and commenting

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

It's almost a month and a half since September 1, I'll finish the production of Jujube wood drops tomorrow. I expect that in another week, I'll finish all the carvings except the figureheads. Then, when I finish about half of the figureheads, that is, at the end of this month or early next month, I can accept the order.

image.png.aa92e637e170036b48b80d6cda9ad40d.png

Since I didn't make this model, but I built the 3D model of the stern of Winchelsea, I'm glad that Mr. Chuck tested the drops and it matched the actual model 'good'...He told me.

image.png.89933b549e57f4a492df626cb75dc116.png

Unlike previous ones, this is batch production, so I rewrote the processing program, I used nearly 20 subroutines to process this complex multi-faceted parts (drop), you need only a simple correction and polishing to assemble them on your model.

image.png.e2711e82e7257d18210f0edda23d0489.png

Here again, many thanks to Mr. mark and Alexander for their comments on the modification so that you can get more accurate products.

The drop below is made of Jujubewood,not polished and treated, it is very close to boxwood. Indeed, I can only say close but not "the same as...", maybe it's more harder than boxwood, but not so delicate. I will consider using Jujube wood to process POF Kits in the future.

image.png.2d81f84be640c4e54cda427d9764daaf.png

image.png.52400a60c385b90a5646d7de08fcec3c.png

Jack

Edited by hjx

Hi everyone!

Today I started the processing of the last relief. Since this is a small batch production, I asked my friend to help me cut boxwood and Jujubewood into thin wood chips.

image.png.ce0346de71a4ddf81ea79216ed9e452a.png

image.png.3b74700137f29ae7e12b006281c06724.png

Because the relief is thin and long, and thickness is only 0.5-1mm, it is quite difficult to make... Mr. Chuck asked me to make this part. Fortunately,in the end I found a way to process it .I machined this part directly on the surface, so it can fits well with the surface of the model.

image.png.1e1dab53df04d7eeab50c8a031352ed2.png

image.png.77c0de306b6c212b645645454bf1d66a.png

As always, this is also a component with high degree of completion, which you can assemble on the model with a simple process.After careful consideration, I decided to keep the ”diamond “ in the right half. You need to decide which side will be removed- the left or right "diamond".

image.png.73545722b7f4b296ada89d20848bf210.png

As long as you remove the ”diamond part“ carefully, you can splicing it with the other half accurately.

Jack

Looks fantastic Jack.....I should have my resin sets in about two weeks time so it looks like we will both be ready to go.

Chuck

resinwinnie.JPG

So I received the first test batch of resin castings.  They look fantastic.   The detail captured is well above my expectations.  My casting guy is a real master at this.  There is also some very good news...the overall cost per set is actually much cheaper than I expected.   So what you see pictured which is the complete resin set, will cost even less than I thought.

The resin set will retail for just $120.   As you can see it comes in a tan color already and it could be used as is.  Just clean up what little spru marks you see.   I will ship them as shown above which you can see has the figures still on the sprue.  They need to be removed...but the spru tab can be used as a handle so I will leave them attached for shipping.

You will also notice that one of the drops looks different, If you prefer a more natural wood look then apply the Old masters gel stain (fruitwood) with a brush.   Then wipe it off immediately.   This really makes it pop and is what I will be doing to them all.   This is something I would definitely do if you are building in Cherry or swiss pear.

So this resin set is a really low cost alternative to buying the milled wood versions.  AND

As stated earlier, for those have have active build logs, there is a participation discount.   The set will be further reduced to just $95.  But I will only give that discount to folks that have an active build log and who participate within the group showing progress up to chapter two completed.   If you havent started a log then dont bother requesting the code...

I should have them up for sale in a couple of weeks.

Also note that I just took that photo with my phone.  The stained drop is actually quite a but lighter and matches my figurehead which you have seen below.  The arms must be glued on a steh figure comes in two pieces.  I will take some better pics later with my camera.

plankingfin3.jpg

Chuck

Wow!!! it's amazing! Those details can be reproduced perfectly. It's great! I'm curious about the details that even 0.1mm milling cutter can't carve out, how the mold is made? I can only sigh that technology has brought us more and more better products... :omg:

By the way, your camera is really good, sir. The photos are quite clear!

Jack

Edited by hjx

Hi!

Inspired by Mr. Chuck's resin casting, I decided to remove the “diamond part" on the right side, so as to reduce the risk of damage during removal. As long as you do a little polishing, it can match the left side well .

image.png.23a95675eb5137af0ea94bed138cb0e4.png

Because the mold I used for processing is very good-I made two "moulds" same as the Stern's surface,  I fixed rough stock on these two moulds directly, and then I could process the carvings that could match the Stern's surface exactly,  but this mould could not be reused,so I made more than ten sets by the way so my progress will be delayed, and it is likely to be delayed until next month to complete all the sculptures.

Jack

Edited by hjx

Chuck: I hate to be a pain but I just read your post on the price for the resin casts and you are right.. the reproduction is amazing. Im also really impressed on what Im seeing with the jujube carvings as well. While I had pre-ordered the boxwood, the quality of the resin and jujube is great so Im just debating on whether the boxwood is the way to go. Do you have a finalized price (or even a ballpark) on the jujube and boxwood. Im still leaning toward boxwood but Im just curious on the price difference.. 

Sorry ahead of time for crawling out of the weeds with this question.. BTW still plowing away on my Agamemnon -making some good progress in getting this project out of the way 🙂 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

You can see the prices Jack gave on the wood several posts back.   

The price of the whole set of boxwood sculptures including the figurehead is $320, including postage.  Order direct through Jack.

Jujube $270, including postage too.  Order Direct through Jack.

Resin sets are $120....and discounted to $95 if you started a buildlog and are active within it and the other logs in the group....Order through Chuck in his online store.

The resin carvings should be ready in a few weeks.   I do have four sets now but I have to package them up and create a store item for them.   I should be getting 20 more sets in a few weeks.

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

You can see the prices Jack gave on the wood several posts back.   

The price of the whole set of boxwood sculptures including the figurehead is $320, including postage.  Order direct through Jack.

Jujube $270, including postage too.  Order Direct through Jack.

Resin sets are $120....and discounted to $95 if you started a buildlog and are active within it and the other logs in the group....Order through Chuck in his online store.

The resin carvings should be ready in a few weeks.   I do have four sets now but I have to package them up and create a store item for them.   I should be getting 20 more sets in a few weeks.

Chuck

Chuck: Thanks for the quick response! I think I will stay with the boxwood. I will wait for Jack to send out a post on when we can order a set.

MIKE 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Thank you KentM! And say hello to every one.

Yesterday I finished all the carvings except figurehead, so the next step is to make the last one -Figurehead,since there are still members asking for reservation, I have produced more products, so there are some delays...But I think the first group of reserved members will probably receive carvings this month or next month.

image.png.7a3671ee148a947c4db181bfe0872ab0.png

image.png.dbeed06e28ce49c42c43290e44490568.png

image.png.5489bcb6f99005f5ecdf68ba968460f9.png

image.png.1908e85f9f09755ef872b9e9f8dd388b.png

As planned before, when I finish half of the figureheads, the members who have pre ordered can place an order for purchase. 

If the first batch of carvings is sold out, but there are still members who want to buy them, I will arrange them to the next batch of orders, provided that I need to obtain Mr. Chuck's authorization one more time. 

Today I saw Mr. Chuck finish hull planking. Congratulations and look forward to the next step!

Jack

Edited by hjx