Caracca Atlantica by Kikatinalong - Mamoli - scale 1:54

A few photos of progress on my Carrack 

a lot of dry fitting on the two bow decks at the moment with the bowsprit proving very troubling.

im looking forward to having this section complete with ladders and railing in place. 

Still not happy with the door to the stern cabin, it seems way to big and maybe covered in walnut it won't appear that way.

cheers

Peter

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

I have always found it handy to have a scale person (about 5 foot tall for that period) to act as a size gauge.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I think it's the width of the door that makes it look so big. A standard house door is 820mm wide, but there are also 720's and even 620's, and I expect a shipboard door could be pretty narrow.

Chuck, I'd be going for more like 5' 6" - depending on when and where, it was Victorian times with bad nutrition that people really got short. Apparently Anglo-Saxons in the 11th century averaged about 5'10". OTOH this is a Spanish ship, and I think the average height there was less. 

Steven, I agree with your assessment on the width of the door. I will definitely have to consider my options. 

I could change it to 2 half size swinging doors, place some barrels out front and hang a tavern sign up top.:10_1_10:

Or possibly add to the thickness of the archway, shortening the width along with hinges and a an opening latch may just make it appear better smaller.

Or make it round and make it a Hobbit Carrack.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Haven't seen any progress for awhile. Is anything happening on the carrack front?

Steven

I've had to move just after xmas Steven and it's all in storage unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Haven't seen any progress for awhile. Is anything on the carrack front?

Steven

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter,

I can't believe it's been a year since your last post. I hope everything's going well for you and yours.

Any progress on the carrack front?

Best wishes,

Steven