HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Matt D 1:48

• 1 month later...

Here are my cheeks and hair brackets.  These were a lot of fun to build.

9D8ED2BA-2BBA-418B-A0B4-333284C68123.jpeg

I’m working on the guns, now and I have a dilemma.  I bought some 6mm belaying pins from Crafty Sailor and I’m concerned that they are too small.  Here’s a picture of one with a 6mm belaying pin and one with a larger handle turned down from a definitely too large belaying pin.  What do you think?

DD453027-5D77-413F-ABBD-0F7CF5E7ECE1.jpeg

Edited by Matt D

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Great job on the cheeks and hair brackets. Like my original turned quoin yours appear too big to me. I suck at scale sizes, so this is just to my eye. Comparing the two though the 6mm do look a bit small. To the overall appearance would undersized be better than oversized? I'd wait for smarter people than me! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That looks great Matt!! 

I do agree with Rusty, I think the 6mm one may be a bit small. Perhaps somewhere in between is where you want to be..

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I used 8mm ones from Crafty Sailor on my Cheerful. I  agree 6mm is too small, maybe time for another order😊

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Happy New Year, friends!  Thank you, Rusty, JJ, Glenn, and Frank for your kind words.  Thanks also for your input on the quoin handles and the discussion in Rusty’s log.

I’m trying to emulate Henry Ford’s assembly line with these guns, but I can’t get myself to make very many split rings and eye bolts before I get frustrated and have to start working on something else.  So it has been more of getting each carriage ready for the metalwork and then make those parts.  I’m sure it’s slower, but I enjoy it better that way.  I’m glad I don’t work in a factory.  I’d never survive!

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I still have quite a few guns to build, but I wanted to share what I’m doing.  These resin barrels are great!  I pretty much follow Chuck’s example.  I start by cleaning up the seems with a file.  Then I give them a light coat of matte fixative.  For weathering, I’m using oil pastels scraped into a powder.  I brush it on with a paintbrush.  It looks a little overdone, but a final coat of matte fixative tones them down.  They look to me like cast iron after that.  I also bought the 8mm belaying pins from Crafty Sailor.  These look just right to me as quoin handles.  Lastly, you can see the effect the wipe on poly has on the carriages.21C7206E-8E7B-429D-BC6E-557761EBD56D.jpeg

Oil Pastels scraped to create a powder for weathering

5509BD09-769D-4FED-AABE-5AE39855BB17.jpeg

Powder brushed onto the barrel.   It looks overdone before the matte fixative sprayB26B4EDD-5A04-4B34-BA2D-22527F2096C3.jpeg

After fixative spray.  960509E8-5F94-4026-9740-3B904F699F3A.jpeg

8mm belaying pin used for the quoin handle.  This looks better than anything I can make and seems like a good size.

4B35A6D6-E0E0-46A0-8AB5-AB0A4328AFB6.jpeg

The one on the left has WOP applied.  I used a brush to apply it and then wiped down any shiny spots.

Edited by Matt D
Fixed image order and added descriptions

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Those are looking really good Matt! I may have to order a set of those pins I like those. Are you going to add all the tackle to your guns?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

That looks great Matt!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for the nice comments, JJ, Rusty, and Vlad.  And thank you for the “likes”, too.  JJ, I’m not going to rig any of them.  My model will be free of any ropes.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Thanks, Frank.  Chuck's advice to use the belaying pins from Crafty Sailor was great.  I'm very happy with the 8mm size.  I'm slowly working my way through the cannon carriages, eye bolts, and split rings.  I also have to figure out how to make the hinges for the gun ports.  I'm going to need to buy some better drill bits before I can make good progress on those.  So far, all I've done is scratch and bend the brass with what I have.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Hey Matt,

Ive been away for the last few weeks only sparing a minute to pop in, here and there but your build is looking great!   Those guns look well done. The extra care in the finish will pay off in the end I think!  

Edited by Justin P.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Justin.  

I’ve made 14 cannon, with a few still short a couple of items.  I’ve got 8 more still untouched in their packages and two carriages ruined by my inexperience.  I’ll be ordering another package of carriages the next time I buy parts from Syren.  I’ve been making my eyebolts and split rings in batches when I’m ready to install them.  The ones on the gun deck make a huge impact on its appearance.  

AA3B47D9-BBD0-4D5E-9E50-32742C9F0283.jpeg

C297F58A-BAEA-4B7C-AC49-21C7646C1E78.jpeg

16AFDEA3-D151-403F-A9E3-A8ED37F95BE1.jpeg

’ve been pondering the gun port lids and have decided that they need to be done before I move on to chapters 7 and 8.  I think I will need to get my hands on the inboard side to position them right, so the quarterdeck and forecastle would be in my way and make it impossible to install the hinges and covers.  So I’m trying to make some hinges with limited success.  Here is my first attempt at the whole thing.  They’re far from perfect, but I have enough brass to make about 30 of them.  My main tool is a Craftsman fine bastard file.  I think I mainly need more practice and a better way to make the round ends more consistent.  Does anyone have any tips on this?  Also, what do you recommend for blackening?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

54792455-A228-4F6C-B859-FD730F212909.jpeg

Edited by Matt D
Adjusted picture locations

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

They look pretty good.  If you are worrying about the neatness of the round circular end,  then dont add that detail.  Just round off the bottom corners.  That is perfectly acceptable and a common way they were done.  There are plenty of contemporary model examples of this.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, Matt D said:

guns to build,

The guns look great, what’s your process for removing char from the trucks?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks, Chuck.  That sounds like a much better way for me.  I’ll give that a try.

Thanks, Glenn.  I broke a toothpick in half and chucked it in my Dremel.  It was easy to push the wheel onto the toothpick and sand off the char using 320 grit sandpaper.  You have to be careful not to burn them with too much speed or pressure.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

On 26/2/2022 at 11:23, Matt D said:

Thank you, Justin.  

I’ve made 14 cannon, with a few still short a couple of items.  I’ve got 8 more still untouched in their packages and two carriages ruined by my inexperience.  I’ll be ordering another package of carriages the next time I buy parts from Syren.  I’ve been making my eyebolts and split rings in batches when I’m ready to install them.  The ones on the gun deck make a huge impact on its appearance.  

AA3B47D9-BBD0-4D5E-9E50-32742C9F0283.jpeg

C297F58A-BAEA-4B7C-AC49-21C7646C1E78.jpeg

16AFDEA3-D151-403F-A9E3-A8ED37F95BE1.jpeg

He estado reflexionando sobre las tapas de las portillas y he decidido que deben hacerse antes de pasar a los capítulos 7 y 8. Creo que tendré que poner mis manos en el lado interior para colocarlas correctamente, de modo que el alcázar y el castillo de proa estaría en mi camino y haría imposible instalar las bisagras y las cubiertas. Así que estoy tratando de hacer algunas bisagras con un éxito limitado. Aquí está mi primer intento en todo el asunto. Están lejos de ser perfectos, pero tengo suficientes metales para hacer unos 30 de ellos. Mi herramienta principal es un archivo bastardo fino de Craftsman. Creo que principalmente necesito más práctica y una mejor manera de hacer que los extremos de la ronda sean más consistentes. ¿Alguien tiene algún consejo sobre esto? Además, ¿qué recomiendas para ennegrecer? Gracias por cualquier ayuda que pueda ofrecer.

54792455-A228-4F6C-B859-FD730F212909.jpeg

Hello, to blacken, that Ballistol, a fast, easy and practical bluing

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a one picture update of my first completed gun port lid.  I’ve made all of the hinges.  The eyebolts and split rings are tiny and made from 28 gauge wire.  I was worried about making the hinges too short, so they ended up on the long side.  I have several mistakes on the starboard side and some are definitely visible in this shot.812F97FD-2E6C-4536-A457-291C70C1E912.jpeg.cd7e236905ccd0d274c70259850a8b9c.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Thanks, Mldixon and JJ.  And thanks to the likes, too.  I’m going to be away from the shipyard for the next three weeks because of travel.  I’m going to Montana next week and then Germany for two weeks.  

Current Build:

Completed Builds: