HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Matt D 1:48

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

Thanks, Mldixon and JJ.  And thanks to the likes, too.  I’m going to be away from the shipyard for the next three weeks because of travel.  I’m going to Montana next week and then Germany for two weeks.  

Looking good Matt!
Viel Vergnügen in Deutschland!

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 9 months later...

Where has the time gone?  I’m working on chapter 7 and thought I’d add an update.  I couldn’t help myself and had to start the chain pumps as soon as I received my chapter 7 parts.  They’re not fully complete, but you can see that the bulk of the work is done.  After that, I worked on the beams.  Thanks to Chuck’s wonderful design on the deck clamps in Chapter 4, the beams are very easy to fit and align.  With all of the quarter deck beams fit, I’m now working on the bulkheads.  The center section of the aft bulkhead is not attached in the photo below.  I have test fit and glued the fore to aft piece to ensure that aft bulkhead is vertical with respect to the model.  I’d like to leave one door open in this bulkhead, but it won’t be either of the starboard side doors because I’ve accidentally glued the edges of those doors to the bulkhead pieces.  I’ll try to be more careful on the port side.  If you see those installed closed in a later post, you’ll know I was unsuccessful.

BEF78C6D-7253-47AD-9BB4-FDF54F7764B9.jpeg

F63E3887-32C3-4FF2-93DB-3CDE03092ABA.jpeg536CEFDE-3F7E-4AE6-8E4C-7E29BF11DEAC.jpeg

4661E132-B15D-4689-9909-51CA75349603.jpeg

Here’s a picture of a little project I did with my 15 year old son during the holiday break in the kids’ bathroom.  These are new drawers in the vanity that fit next to the sink.  The kids will each have their own drawer.  He needed to do a project for a boy scout merit badge and I wanted to make their bathroom a little less messy.

7F9307C3-4210-47D0-BD9B-5892879770A3.jpeg

Edited by Matt D
rearranging photos

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

They didn’t want to use that door anyway😊

Looking good, very nice work. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks, Glenn and Chuck.  I need to be more judicious with the CA on the rest of the hinges.  And for some reason it sticks much better where you don’t want it, than where you do.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Nice to see your progress. Chapter 7 is a lot of fun!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks, Rusty, and all of the likes, too.  Chapter 7 has some neat stuff in it.  But I'm a little freaked out by the beams.  On the one hand, I can't wait to get them in and I love how they're going to look.  On the other, I want to make sure everything is just right and the cannon are all very secure before I close her up.  I'd hate to have to try to remove any of these beams down the road!

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

Thanks, Rusty, and all of the likes, too.  Chapter 7 has some neat stuff in it.  But I'm a little freaked out by the beams.  On the one hand, I can't wait to get them in and I love how they're going to look.  On the other, I want to make sure everything is just right and the cannon are all very secure before I close her up.  I'd hate to have to try to remove any of these beams down the road!

I Pinned a few of my guns then just started gluing them down with PVA and they seem to be fine. Can’t say it will hold up should I drop my model though… just go slow like Chuck advises and do one at a time. You’ll be fine. Worst case scenario you could carefully remove a beam if you absolutely had to with lots of alcohol. I actually had to adjust two of the panels this way after I had glued them in. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Nice progress and beautiful work Matt!
I always shake my little bottle or tube with CA gleu before using it.
For some reason the sticky part of the emulsion sinks when the bottle or tube is in rest for a longer period of time.
You then do not only apply only solvent instead of the full glue emulsion.

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

3 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

I always shake my little bottle or tube with CA gleu before playing it.
or some reason the sticky part of the emulsion sinks when the bottle or tube is in rest for a longer period of time.
You then do not only apply only solvent instead of the full glue emulsion.

I'll give that a try, Frank.  Here I thought the Glue Gods were just frowning on me.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a problem with the height of my capstan.  I can’t find a good view that shows how high above the quarterdeck beams the upper capstan should be.  But I think mine is too high.  I’ve carefully measured with my calipers and the top of the cog is 11/64” above the beam just forward of the capstan.  Do any of you know if that’s too high as I suspect?

103A431B-9F7E-45E5-BD6B-9FB96B971253.jpeg

AD757691-4986-46D8-89D9-A2B772C8579A.jpeg

007A9760-6726-4A86-B0C0-882E40AB3202.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

I have to check my model when I get home but it does look a little high but your capstan looks built correctly. Is the lower part sitting all the way down into its position on the gun deck?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

6 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Is the lower part sitting all the way down into its position on the gun deck?

Thanks for looking, JJ.  Yes, the lower part is all the way into the base below.  Once I have a better idea of how high it should be, I can carefully cut or sand it down to fit.  So this is a solvable problem.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

It doesnt mater really.  The two halves were designed so you can cut the top of the “striped barrel” down as much as you need.  As long as you leave just the tiniest bit above the deck beams you are good so you can position the partners.  Then the top capstan can just fit i nto the remaining space on the partner.  If there is a small gap it doesnt matter…nobody will see it.

Here are a couple of shots of the railing around the companionway.  I tried to do this exactly as described in chapter 7.  Turning the stanchions was very easy using a Dremel tool and a small file. I glued it up using PVA.  I expected it to be very fragile, but it’s surprising strong.  I pinned it using 24 gauge steel wire. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

575D8A0C-F6A1-47DF-8C09-95B2B6070A4D.jpeg

6973C1EC-4B97-435D-8164-C92A13BAEBE0.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chuck and Frank.  And thanks to all the “likes”!  I deserve no credit for the quoins:  I bought 8mm belaying pins from The Crafty Sailor to use there.  The ones I tried to make were awful!

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Beautiful craftsmanship, Matt! Looks great.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Well done on the railings. It gives such a professional look from the usual PE and rope versions. Very crisp!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks JJ, Jim, and Glenn!  

Today, I finished the chain pump installation.  This feels like a huge accomplishment.  The metal work and the small boxwood parts are very challenging, so to get them done and be happy with the result is really something.  Here are several photos documenting the steps.

E7F87743-7ACF-4B90-B377-F5368809CFF2.jpeg

5B655050-A2CF-4F8C-A6F8-610D229A507E.jpeg

91F47EF8-FA4D-450E-9354-38C7150AEC6E.jpeg

677C1B36-02B4-458E-A765-49C7056CCF5C.jpeg

CF8F4C83-460E-4049-9AFE-F8B2C666EF97.jpeg

E53054EA-18CA-4809-9268-BEA1CA949A55.jpeg

B70ADEE3-B1AB-4629-9421-2F8BA5F0C094.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Nicely done Matt! You’re moving along now.

That whole pump assembly is quite a challenge with many moving parts… no pun intended. So many things need to line up for it to work. Looks good. You’re almost on chapter 8! 

Excellent work.  Yes its challenging but to get results like that it needs to be.  No chunky primitive kit-like pumps on your model.  That looks like it was scratch built by an extremely experienced builder who took their time.  WELL DONE indeed.

Thanks, Chuck, JJ, and Glenn.  Chuck, I agree with you 100%.  One think I didn't mention was that I pinned everything except the chain pumps.  After I figured out how to get the holes drilled in the right spot using masking tape, I've been a pinning maniac.  I thought about pinning the chain pumps, but decided the risk of splitting the feet was not worth any benefit.  I'm certain they're not going anywhere with the 1mm brass crank rod holding them down.  I'm away from home for work this week and looking forward to building the elm pumps this weekend after I get home.  I have my 7-10-7 marks on the 3/16"x3/16" boxwood strip, so I can start filing right away.   

Current Build:

Completed Builds: