HMS Triton Cross Section by Edwardkenway - 1:64 probably more like 1:60 - FINISHED

Knees are a pain in the butt... I swear i made twenty of them trying to get the angles right. Out of curiosity- what do you do that allows you to not work when it is raining? Over here in the Pacific Northwest I feel like I'd only get in a good 100 days of work a year if that was the case!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Hi Chad

I'm in construction as a bricklayer and they don't lay well in the wet!! Also when the temperature drops below 2 degrees Celsius work grinds to a halt, so over the British winter I can get quite a bit of time in the shipyard.

I'm mainly a housebuilder but do get to build other things from time to time. 

20190525_130503.jpg

20190525_130442.jpg

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hello all, thanks for looking in and the likes 👍

So just spent a stressful couple or four hours cutting, shaping and sanding only to scrap them and recutting  and reshaping!!  Welcome to the quest to produce eight reasonably similar hanging knees, I think I've managed it  and have fitted them to the underside of the lower deck.

Also fitted gunport sills and dry fitted lower deck centre supports. 

The frames need a bit more fairing on the outer side  but I'll do that next time.

Dry fitted gun deck beams and cut the beam arms. 

That's it for this post.

Till next time 

Cheers 

20191005_173842.jpg

20191005_173823.jpg

20191005_173914.jpg

20191005_173858.jpg

20191005_222237.jpg

20191005_222228.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Looks really nice. You're on a good way

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

On 10/4/2019 at 5:51 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Hi Chad

I'm in construction as a bricklayer and they don't lay well in the wet!! Also when the temperature drops below 2 degrees Celsius work grinds to a halt, so over the British winter I can get quite a bit of time in the shipyard.

I'm mainly a housebuilder but do get to build other things from time to time. 

20190525_130503.jpg

20190525_130442.jpg

Well, that makes sense then... definitely not laying bricks in the rain! The final knees look great- it's almost always worth the little bit of time to retry something if you are not happy with the final product. Now you get to do it all over again on the gun deck- fun times!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Hello everyone, 

@AnobiumPunctatum thanks for looking in.

@ChadB I'm glad you like them as they are the 3rd edition knees  as 1 and 2 just didn't cut it! WOOHOO!!! another deck to do!

I've done it a different way this time, I've used a spot of CA glue just on the edge carlings to make the framework and then filled the rest in using white glue.

I didn't have any teak oil left so bought some Danish oil, tested it on some scrap, (Hanging knee edition 1 haha) liked it so put a coat on the lowest internal planks also on the hatch coaming.

That's it for today, thanks for the likes everybody 👍

Till next time 

Cheers 

20191006_230917.jpg

20191006_231023.jpg

20191006_230927.jpg

20191006_231109.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Well done!  Keep at it!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Your hatch looks grate! (BA-DA-CHING!). Looking at the oiled coamings vs the deck you are working on I think you made the right choice with the oil. I personally don't thing walnut looks very good when left natural and needs something to make it pop. Everything looks nice and clean- good work so far!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Hi all,

@GrandpaPhil thankyou 👍

@ChadB(GROAN)😂 I have to admit it was after looking at your Eagle build and how great the oiled wood was that made my mind up!! Thank you for your support as I muddle my way through this.

So now to a bit of the muddling through, I have planked just over half the lower deck. I used maple for the deck planks and beech for the water thingy against  the  hull. I'm still undecided whether to do treenails because if I don't do them well they will depress me but then again perhaps I should use this build as practice, I'll think on it.

Still working on the gundeck, there's a few more ledgers to fit although the lodging knees are cut and fitted (only 1 edition needed this time round😃)

Next time I shall cut out the hanging knees.

Till then 

Cheers 

20191011_230825.jpg

20191011_230841.jpg

20191011_213601.jpg

20191011_213701.jpg

20191011_230934.jpg

20191011_213524.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

That looks great Edward.  Are you sure you've never done a scratch build before?  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark, this is my first ship/Xsection scratch build. I used to scratch build wargaming scenery,  rivers,hills, bridges and buildings.

So maybe that has helped me with this build  as alot of the skills are similar. 

Cheers 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

They are similar it seems.  I did much the same back when I played AD&D.  We'd do the walls, furniture, etc. for the maze but only show the immediate area we were in.  Great fun.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I admire you fast builders! 😉

My two cents on treenails... if done right they really add to a model. If done wrong it looks like a tiny, drunk shipwright got loose and had a good time. If you consider this model practice (which personally I think the Triton cross section should be about learning and trying new things) then I would say go for it since if you are having a good time and move on to a full ship you'll most likely end up doing it anyway and you'll have the experience.

Two keys (in my personal opinion) if you do it.... whether you use bamboo or hardwood, stay in or close to scale. If you go too big you may regret it as it will make things look a bit clownish. Second, make sure they are in straight lines (tiny, drunk shipwrights!). Draw out the straight lines across the planking in pencil with a straightedge or draw straight lines on tape, put down the tape, and drill through it along the lines. Yeah, it adds some time to the process but it just makes for better results. The other option is to take a bit of scrap planking and mock up a small piece of deck and try out treenailing and see what you think before jumping in with both feet. I am constantly amazed by some of the French modelers around here and over on the French forums who mock up entire gunports just to try everything out. 

Whatever you decide- it's going great so far! Hope you've had some rainless days to start bringing in the money!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Hi all, 

Chad  I've given treenails a go, using tape and drawing a straight line on it, I think if I keep practicing I'll get the hang of it, but I have struggled filling them, I used toothpicks.

Now the treenails have been sort of done🤔 I have given the lower deck a coat of matt varnish. 

The main mast bits are only dry fitted as is the test stanchion,  the next job is the hanging knees and then planking the gundeck.

Thanks to everyone who has looked in and for the likes👍

Till next time 

Cheers 

I have just noticed a mistake on the planking but it stopping there now🤔

20191014_220334.jpg

20191014_220342.jpg

20191014_205520.jpg

20191014_205118.jpg

20191014_230756.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi there everyone,  

Just a small post this time, been really busy at work so not done a lot here.

Managed  a couple of hours and made the ladder hatch and ladder, who knew that ladders were so fiddly to make 😬? Also started to make the rest of the gundeck stanchions. I've not forgotten about the hanging knees but wanted a bit of a rest from cutting odd shapes out of walnut. Have been  wondering if I would be able to make my own gun barrels instead of buying readymade, any ideas and tips would be very welcome. 👍😀

Till next time 

Cheers 

20191018_221159.jpg

20191018_221432.jpg

20191018_221117.jpg

20191018_221129.jpg

20191018_222114.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

I'm back again,  managed to get a couple or three hours today, and finished making the gundeck stanchions, glued knee patterns to the wood ready to cut out next time. 

Started planking the gundeck and placed gun carriages at the gunport to check for size, I think they are ok.

Till next time 

Cheers 👍😃

Thanks for likes  and dropping by.

20191019_225503.jpg

20191019_225521.jpg

20191019_224122.jpg

20191019_223803.jpg

20191019_223756.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Just catching up... everything looks to be coming along nicely! I think you did a great job on your treenails, and the gun deck and gun carriages look good! You can totally make your own gun barrels if you'd like if you have a lathe! I made my own, but just like everything else it took some practice and I ended up with six or seven before I had four I liked. There's definitely no shame in buying some, though- Chuck's barrels (and every other product of his) are about as high quality you can get if you are looking for a vendor. Keep up the great work!!

Chad 

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Thanks for welcome and encouraging comments Chad😀

Regards to the gun barrels I have looked at Chuck's offerings and 🤤 yes would feel no shame in purchasing them but the shipping from the States to UK makes them a more expensive option than getting Caldercraft ones from CMB.

I might see about some other bits and pieces, timber, blocks, rope etc to make the shipping worthwhile. 

In the meantime I will have a bash at making my own 🤔

WOW, I've just noticed Dirk has had a look in!!  Thanks for the likes @Dubz and @AnobiumPunctatum

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, it's been a slow Sunday here so did some more on the X section.

Finally got round to doing the last eight hanging knees and what a difference from the first attempt at knees! Only one edition required.

As you'll see in the photos there is a Mk1 gun barrel, no turning! just carving and sandpaper, then some thin card glued on to make it look more cannon like. There will be a mk2 and a mk3 and possibly a mk4, but we'll have to see.😅

Well that's it for now. 

Cheers

20191020_225839.jpg

20191020_225851.jpg

20191020_215135.jpg

20191020_215123.jpg

20191020_215128.jpg

20191020_204848.jpg

20191020_204712.jpg

20191020_225927.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, just a quick post, finished the planking on the gundeck and gave it a coat of matt varnish. 

I've done some treenails on the hull planking that I put on for a test. Not sure whether I got it right 

Till next time 

Cheers 

Thanks for the likes 👍

20191022_184532.jpg

20191022_174631.jpg

20191022_184422.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Thankyou gents much appreciated 👍

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, 

A rainy Saturday and a couple of hours on planking. I've fitted the wales on both sides and planked Upton the sheer rail on one side.

Had a bit of practice at forming a mould on the gunwale with a shaped scraper,  its only a half round pattern but will continue to practice with more elaborate forms.

I'm letting the glue dry now and want to get on the full build tomorrow and fair the bulkheads so won't be back on the Xsection till sometime next week. 

Cheers .

Thanks for likes and comments 👍

I can see in the photos that I need to tweak the gunport planking, looked ok until I posted the photo 🤨🤔😥

20191026_144339.jpg

20191026_144443.jpg

20191026_144318.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Well done!

I like the cannon.  That’s how I make mine.  I’m going to be making 18 more for my Victory.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks Phil, I wish you all the best with your 18 cannon barrels,  that ONE took me long enough,  but then after seeing your detail carving I know you are up to it 😆🤪

Thanks to everyone who has looked in and for the likes👍

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

I had missed one of your updates until Phil posted there was a gun barrel in there somewhere. Did you cut out your moulding and then scrape it or vice versa?The ends look a little soft which is why I was asking. I found it useful scrape it down in one long section and then cut cut it so you can discard the ends where you don't add as much pressure. Either way, it's an art! Great job so far!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Thanks Chad,  the moulding was scraped in one long piece then cut, and yes it is an art, one I'm still practicing. I have made a more decorative pattern and practicing on a 3mm piece of walnut and I'm pleased to say I'm getting there. I will post some photos when I get it right.😓

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi, an unexpected day off, (waiting for a scaffold to go up at work)

So I am doing the treenails on the hull. Not been on this because I've been trying to get the full Triton POB build moving forward. 

But today I thought I'd work on the Xsection 

Treenails? done properly they look fantastic but I don't have the patience or the dexterity to make them fantastic. After putting them on this build I'll think long and hard about doing them on future projects. 

That's it for now. 

Thanks for looking in and the likes. 

Cheers 👍

Also posted a couple of photos of my attempt at the moulding for Triton full build. 

20191104_110001.jpg

20191104_110012.jpg

20191104_111445.jpg

20191104_111450.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, it's been a while since I've been on the Xsection, but had extra couple of hours in the workroom so made up one of the gangways. The brackets are wood and not metal but I don't think it matters to much. I can't fit it til I've rigged the cannon. Still got the other one to make.

That's next time though. 

Cheers. 

Thanks to all for the likes and looking in 👍😀

20191126_225555.jpg

20191126_225610.jpg

Current builds;

Completed: