In my Rattlesnake build, I had been puzzled, as a rookie, by the plans showing the hawsers running down into the main hatch. Gee, I thought, shouldn't they be routed to the capstan??

post-289-0-38035200-1368373242_thumb.jpg

I've been reading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubry/Maturin series of books and ran across the solution! A "messenger" cable, smaller than the hawser, is attached to the hawser by "nippers" and the wet smelly hawser is sent below. Ah-HA!

In the Rattlesnake, I guess this messenger would go through this bulkhead to the lower capstan (not modelled in this kit):

post-289-0-40180600-1368373631_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering what accomodation might there be to run the messenger through it. Would whole panels be unshipped, or could there be a smaller opening in a panel for that purpose?

Thanks!

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Brain,

The messenger would not have gone from the upper deck to the lower.  All the lower capstan, in this case, would have done is provide additional manpower for the upper capstan as they were mechanically linked.

For a good overview of the messenger, take a look at Dafi's Vic build starting about here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/page-9

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Damn... Daniel beat me to  it.. :P   Got to get pretty early around here, I guess,

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh Mark, I am sooooo sorry ;-)

XXXDAn

PS: Thanks for referring to my build, this is worth more than an award!

Daniel,

Thanks for the lovely presentation! But it's given me a brain overload and will have to digest it fully later.

The Rattlesnake is but a wee frigate, if that, and I would guess its operations were a bit scaled down from those of Victory.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat