HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Dave B - 1/48

Starting my member build log! I have received my first shipment from Syren Co. and the parts/wood all looks great. I am building the yellow cedar version. I am looking forward to a great experience and to learning a lot during the build. I have a lot of nice 1/4" baltic birch ply in my stash that will be what I use for the keel, and I just received the lite ply for the bulkheads from the recommended source for ease of cutting on those parts. A couple of those lite ply pieces are pretty warped and I'm not sure how much to worry about that. I'll start with the flatter pieces though. So I just need to dust off my DeWalt scroll saw and practice a bit and then get busy with cutting out parts!

Dave

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

I've been experimenting with different sized scroll saw blades and practicing, about ready to make some real cuts soon. I noticed that Stuntflyer Mike recommended in another build log cutting just slightly outside of the lines which I'll try doing. That was nice timing because I was kind of wondering about that. I had to order some new blades since most of mine were partially used so it may be a few more days before I start. In the meantime I'll look at making the base supports out of some 1/2" MDF I have in my shop.

Dave

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Yes always cut outside your line and then clean it up.  In fact other than making sure that your slots are finished so you get a snug fit, I would leave them cut about 1/64" outside there lines until you do a test fit in your bulkhead former.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I've cut out my first bulkhead. I left about slightly under 1/16" outside the line (was aiming for 1/16" but ended up a little closer). I did not leave extra at the tops of the bulkhead extensions. Is that OK or should I leave some extra wood there as well? Also, I wasn't sure how much if any extra to leave on the insides of the bulkhead extensions and across the top of the flat part. Where I've marked it with the blue arrows in the picture is where I'm not sure about. I don't want to create more work than necessary later unless it's going to help me get them all to the correct height or even with each other.

Cutting this first one out was easy with the lite ply and #7R blade in my scrollsaw.

Thanks,

Dave

1914592893_bulkheadS.jpg.a2db1c67eef40307db6ead1699546e0a.jpg193716440_forquestion.thumb.jpg.e9ad6770f1152f49a543e34ec36242ff.jpg

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Dave, get them as close to the line as you are comfortable with, you are going to sand or file them down to the line by hand from there so anything you leave is just work... 😀  If you look at the laser cut bulkheads in the monograph you see that they are cut right to those lines....Also the outer portions will still be faired after assembling to the keel so you can take them to the line before assembling- this is where a spindle sander becomes a friend!

Edited by ASAT

Dave,

You're off to a great start. I suggest that you can cut the inside bulkhead extensions, extension tops and the area of the false deck to the line, being careful that the line shows afterwards. You will take off more material on the inside extensions when you fair the hull inside. The false deck area will be much easier to sand or file now rather than after the bulkheads are glued to the bulkhead former.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks all....very helpful advice....will proceed with cutting more of the bulkheads out this week. 

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

• 3 weeks later...

I've cut out the bulkheads for the front section and a few random others and it seems to be going well. As I do more I am getting comfortable cutting a bit closer to the lines.  Still leaving extra on the outer surface but hopefully not too much. Here's a photo of test fitting them. Please advise if any adjustments should be made before I continue to process with the rest.

bulkheads.jpg

front section 3.jpg

front section 2.jpg

front section 1.jpg

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

• 2 months later...

Just a quick question. To make my build board I have a nice flat piece of 3/4" thick plywood plenty long enough but only a little over 10" wide. From the photos in other build logs it looks like that should work fine, but any reason it wouldn't?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

I don't see it being a problem. It gives you 5" off the center line which should be plenty. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 year later...

Hello Dave,

Are you allright? It's so long you posted any updates?
Very inspiring, clean and precise sawing!
I'm building using Chuck's laser cut material, but I feel like building a second Winnie using my saws and files as well now.
Keep safe and healthy,
Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Hi Frank, thanks for checking in with me! Yes, I am fine 🙂.

I have not worked on the ship for a while, although I didn't realize it's been almost 6 months already until this message.

I've been doing some non-ship projects but do plan to get back to this after those are completed.

I am pleased with how all the parts came out cutting them on my own and it's quite satisfying to do all that work yourself I think.

Here is the latest pic from where it is sitting in my woodshop, nothing glued yet but the parts fit night and snug and seem to line up straight. It was a lot of work just getting to this point, lots of sawing!

Hoping to make further progress soon!

Dave

3-26 Win.jpg

Dave Barnard

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)