Brando by Peter Cane - FINISHED - A Footy class RC Catboat design by Flavio Faloci

Can anyone help me with which knots to tie when rigging up a yacht like above.

I am really brain teased when it comes to knots.

I have learnt so far to do a reef, bowline and a round turn and two half hitches.

When instructions say to " lash" this to that, what knot do I use?

Nearly every knot on the boat is a reef knot or a granny and then super glued to stop it falling apart.

For example ....I need to fasten a piece of chord/ twine to an eyelet.....which knot please?

Pete

On 10/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Peter Cane said:

Can anyone help me with which knots to tie when rigging up a yacht like above.

Pete - lots of info on line e.g. https://www.firstclasssailing.com/sailing-knots

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Pete - RYA Knots, Splices and Ropework Handbook (G63) - plenty usually available 2nd hand at reduced price.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow it seems that the baking hot sun with its UV rays have produced an ideal day for photos. ( Australia )

I went about doing some pics for the firm I bought the Brando plans from and also to send to the Italian designer Flavio.

There are in particular two pics I would like you to see as they bring out the wood colours just as they are.

Check out the rudder horn!

That must be the Ferrarri of rudder horns....( unless you know different and I won't believe you unless you show me!!! )

It is also pertinant I think to come to the arrival that it is not what you build but how you photograph ( capture  these days!) It.

Here is Brando again in full spendour.

I accept no glory for this.

It was the right day, right sun, right angle and the trees did the rest!

I just hacked and glued it all together.

Pete

20191114_110301.jpg

20191114_110333.jpg

20191114_110504.jpg

I did say that the Brandos were finished but somehow ( like a model railway ) they always need something else.

I do enjoy sewing and indeed like to make my own Grandpa shirts and other clothing.

If I can think of a reason to get the machine out then out she comes.

Okay!....the two Brandos gather a lot of dust as they live in the same place as I do!....the " shed ".

They also needed a bit of protection when they are in their brief case being transported to the pond by train.

I also had some thick denim left over from my fabric stash which needed to be used.

The result is a Brando Tarpy adorned with a half naked lady sewn on top.

I make no apologies as half naked ladies are generally affixed under bow sprits and I believe they are very much desired by most sailors!

The method to my madness is that a lady will not allow the dust to settle!!!

Out comes the hoover and away she goes.

I am hoping my theory proves correct as then the dust levels on Brando now should be reduced as there is a lady presence.

We shall see!.

I also knocked up a trio of transmitter bags as they were getting very dusty as well.

Whilst the machine was out I took the opportunity to make Brando a new sai from cotton poplin.

I do not like the nylon sail and also do not like working with nylon.

I had a far nicer experience working with close woven cotton poplin.

I made the sail as per Gary Webb methods and it worked out great.

Two rules applied.

The Leech runs parrallel to the run of the fabric.

A bolt rope is applied to all edges except the Leech and made fast only at the corners of t20191117_104408.thumb.jpg.8c2dd2859446b8b51dd4a2f438c29ba2.jpghe sail.

Otherwise it is left free running within the sail edges.

I liked Gary's method of the cut with all the corners so as the bolt rope can be used to make the sails fast.

I also liked his method of applying the reinforcement triangles at each corner of the sail. Clew and Tack etc.

I show pictures how he did it ( how I copied )

To stop the twine from unravelling I secured three rubber bands around the roll, top, centre and bottom then made a quick bag to keep the twine clean.

This is my sixth attempt at making the Brando sails.

Five are in the dustbin and the nylon one will be replaced for a cotton poplin sail.

The sails have no camber and not made on sail blocks.

I might get into that once I know what I am doing but for the time being I believe KISS must prevail.

Gary's boats all sail beautifully with simple cotton sails.

They will not win a race but there again I am in no hurry either.

Pete

20191118_101818.jpg

20191118_101824.jpg

20191118_102354.jpg

20191118_105703.jpg

20191117_114606.jpg

20191117_110416.jpg

20191117_110504.jpg

20191117_111447.jpg

20191117_104408.jpg

Edited by Peter Cane
Ommited some information

I am having fun and games here with sail making.

In particular, the gaff does not haul up as it should do.

I have spent hours mucking about with adapting the rigging but to no avail.

It has sailed but I did not like the look of the sail when filled.

So I went back to the drawing board to check sail geometry.

First off the Leech should be left unfolded to allow air flow.

With cotton sails this is impossible as the edges will fray in minutes.

So it is back to Nylon.

I wanted to give this another chance as I have quite a lot of it for kite making ( try it!! It is great fun flying them )

Secondly I was not convinced that I had the correct geometry for the sail.

I could not understand how to plot the points of the trapezoidal sail from the drawing as there are no angles given.

See the pic.

I have wondered about this for weeks until today it suddenly clicked.

It does not explain on the plans exactly how to make the sail.

It clicked that I would have to make a movable trapezoid by means of making a suitable frame from timber with the exact lengths of the head, leech, luff and foot.

To locate nails through them so that the movable frame could be pinned with one pin to a board.

I could then adjust it to obtain the correct diagonal measurements as shewn in the drawing pictured.

Having got my nail points in the board underneath it was a simple matter of joining up the dots with a ruler and pencil.

Hey presto...one exact size sail to correct geometry.

I was pleased with myself that my brain still worked but somewhat displeased that it did not work sooner.

Question...

Would you have twigged straight away?...

I suppose it matters not .

Anyway I made a pattern from plywood allowing for seams and used a soldering iron the cut the nylon.

Very easy once the pattern is made.

All edges are now effectively welded and cannot fray.

I used double sided tape to form the hems.

I shuddered at the thought of this method before but I must say...it works.

As you can see the foot of the sail is far from straight.

I will cut another one.

It now takes minutes to accurately cut a sail with a soldering iron.

I need more practice folding over the hems in a straight line.

So....nylon sails are back in.

I am beginning to see the advantages of using modern materials!!!

I know when I'm beat!

I need to make reinforcement corners and that will happ en tomorrow.

They will be cut with a soldeing iron to patterns I will make from plywood.

Pete.

20191121_212324.jpg

20191121_212402.jpg

20191121_212423.jpg

20191121_212429.jpg

20191121_212507.jpg

Today I joined a local model sailing club and myself and grandson Brandon had a grand time sailing Brando.

This is Brando Two on her maiden voyage.

Sails well in a light breeze but does all sorts when the wind kicks up.

I have had advice on what to do so some modifications are underway right now.

I am doing the vid and Brandon is sailing his Brando.

First time he has ever sailed a  boat.

What joy!

Pete

https://youtu.be/tUrFAx-yzMY

Excellent! I was hoping that we'd have a chance to see her on the water. She really was making quite the headway in a breeze that barely rippled the water!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Excellent! I was hoping that we'd have a chance to see her on the water. She really was making quite the headway in a breeze that barely rippled the water!

Thanks Chris.

Yes shes okay with a bare puff but I was advised to make another sail set for windier conditions.

I might just make a complete rig with short sail and swap them around when needed.

More weight and a beefier servo required for that size of rudder so I am fitting a standard servo aft of the cockpit.

Without adding extra weight I am making the battery pack movable so it can go rearwards to lift the bow out of the water a bit.

This will reduce nose dive which is a bug bare with footys.

I am also fitting a large skeg so as to give resistance to stop her going around in circles on her own in windy conditions.

Maybe she is just a boat for calm days and for windy days I'll sail Starlet or Emma.

We cannot have it all.

They were all very surprised at my new club that such a small thing can give such a performance.

I had lots of interest and questions.

So I hope I have started something!.

Pete.

• 7 months later...

Peter, I just finished reading through your log and enjoyed what you did.
So, that's why your little notification marker will show quite some likes.

Here's some information about Footy for those who doesn't know about her

The Footy is an international RC class, here in the USA class approved by AMYA (America Model Yacht Association).

The name is for the length: 1ft

Here's a partial quote from AMYA;

"A Footy class boat must fit in a box 12"L X 12"D X 6"W. Primary rig configuration is unlimited. Radio control is two channels only. Several different hull designs have been developed, and Footys have been built with lateen rigs, gaff rigs, swing rigs, and genoa jibs. The small size makes scratch building fun, but full kits, partial kits, and plans are available for less ambitious skippers.

A Footy is a great boat for all anyone. A competitive Footy can be built for less than $100, is easily portable, and regattas can be held in the smallest of ponds; even in your backyard swimming pool!"

I know you will enjoy sailing her, RC sailing is quiet and clean for the environment.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Daniel, 

Peter hasn't been on MSW since February.  I'd suggest you ask your questions here;  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/32-rc-kits-scratch-building/

and maybe think about doing a build log as it's a good way to get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)