Hydraulic Dredge by Steve Harvath

The forum does not recognize me anymore.  It won't let me post to my own log.  I got a new computer maybe that  is why.

I have been refining the pumping machinery.  Here is the centrifigul pump and behind it the engine.  They have been painted with gesso in preparation of painting.

I don't see how to insert an image anymore.  It asks for a URL.  It used to say browse.

I have been working on the pumping machinery.  Here is test fit of the centrifigul pump and behind it is the engine (supervised by the engineer leaning casually against the door frame).  The dredge had a sort of heavy timber scaffold over the equipment bay2142967060_IMG_1404(2).thumb.jpg.84a29090e2d5897a3ec3c69d6cddf199.jpg.  I have seen this feature on other dredges.  It is connected to the derrick that the suction tube is suspended from.  It might also be used to service the heavy equipment located in the bay below so I think I will make a roof hatch below it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the dredge machinery laid out for a test fitting: centrifigul pump, engine and condenser.  Second image shows the Westinghouse high speed engine and the condenser. .  These models are more representational than actual models.  I tried out various machine colors on them.  I don't have actual specifications for color.  I still have to figure out how to represent the piping.  Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working my way forward with the deck and deck house fittings.  Here is the stern with the booms from which the pusher leg was suspended.  I have added some scratch built doors to the rear of the deck house.  The only thing I know for sure about the rear of the deck house is that there was a high window.  I have also started to build the exhaust manifolds for the paired Scotch boilers.  I am building them out of styrene plastic.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the smoke boxes.  There are four Scotch boilers on the dredge.  They must have needed a lot of steam.  The boilers are paired and each pair shares a smoke box and stack.  I have not made them very detailed as they will be in deep shadow but they follow the form and dimensions that I can see on the plan.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have assembled and painted two steam winch kits from Bluewater.  The winch raises and lowers the suction snout.  I modified a second winch kit to represent the steam powered drive for the auger on the business end of the suction pipe.

John,  At your suggestion I painted the red centrifigul pump green to match the engine.  It does look a lot betterIMG_1472.thumb.jpg.ffa994d4685af8131108fad1b60a0b47.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wefalck,  That worked great.  Much more realistic looking gears.

I have been working on how to model the large diameter pipe used for the suction line.  On the plan it specifies an 18" inside diameter pipe. When I looked at the plan closely I realized that there were six identical flanged pipe sections represented in the line.  By my measurement each section is one sixth of a circle or a 60 degree section of a circle.  I think it was made without right angle elbows to facilitate the flow of the sludge. I thought these might be cast iron with flanges that bolted together.  I made a ply of basswood and balsa wood that is scale 20" thick and carved and sanded out the sections.  I put some filler in against the flange to smooth out the corners and make them look more like castings.  I gessoed them and painted them a graphite color.  

IMG_1477 (1).jpg

IMG_1478 (1).jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Steve; I just started following your build with great interest. I’ve always found Dredges very interesting. Looking excellent! ...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Nice work. There is a dredger drawing in this PDF, page 214 (page numbers are reacting oddly, it is magazine page 180 something).

canadian ship marine engineering p 214.pdf

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing the complete model!.

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have finished roofing the deck house and applying trim under the eaves and at right angle corners.  I decided to model roof hatches over the pumping equipment bay.  I think you can see the edge of a roof hatch in the image of the as-built dredge. My thought has been that the heavy duty scaffolding above the roof was used to service the equipment below with chain lifts.   I made the roof hatches removable so it is easier to view the interior.  Doing touch up painting as I go.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1623 (1).jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1622 (1).jpg

Great to see this project again. Looking excellent...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 3 weeks later...

I have applied the roofing to the deck house.  In keeping with the rough hewn industrial nature of the dredge I simulated rolled roofing with that rare commodity -- toilet paper.  I cut it into strips a scale three feet wide and applied it with a gray paint.  It came out like it was kind of bubbling up and warping in the heat and humidity.  Here re some images with the roof hatches on and off.   I also found some plastic tubing that is a good diameter to represent the wider base portion of stacks.  There must be a name for these.  They insulate the roof from direct contact with the flammable roof.

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Funnels were double-walled from about the middle of the 19th century on. For two reasons: in order to keep the flue-gases hot to  provide a better draught and to prevent the burning of adjacent materials. The internal flue was held concentric by spreaders.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have been constructing and installing the stacks.  I found a wooden dowel that was close the correct scale diameter -- 41 inches.  I sheathed the dowels with copper foil and simulated rivets with my home-made riveting tool (a dulled needle in a stick handle - patent pending).

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg