MagEyes anybody use them ? Which ones and Y

The use of the Optivisor and other magnification aids has been discussed here at length.  Do a search for magnification or Optivisor.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Y.T. my experience in life to date has taught me that you get what you pay for. Good luck with the ones you bought for $17 I am sure you got your moneys worth. If you are basing your suggestion that what you got is as good as the Donegan DA-5 because of the particulate review that you cite perhaps you should have noticed that the reviewer does not have the verified purchase next to his review. Which I looked for only after reading his review because a lot of what he had to say was obviously made up by someone who did not know what they were talking about. Not sure if you read the verified purchase reviews for the ones you bought but if you did then again I say you get what you pay for. BTW amazon is amazing I ordered the DA-5 yesterday and have them in my hand errr on my head today ;)  Cheers ~

Enlightening conversation.   I read Y.T.s reference "review" an took a look.  I do have a "no-name" magnifier visor but it's only one magnification and basically well-used and scratched up pretty bad.   I'm looking at this one that was referenced"  https://www.amazon.com/Yoctosun-Head-Set-Magnifier-1-5X-2X-2-5X-3-5X-Magnification/dp/B073RFZS94/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_txt?ie=UTF8    Looks like a reasonable set, to me and gives me choices on magnification.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I used plastic lens Optivisors and the lenses were clean and not scratched.  Absolutely no comparison to the quality of the glass lenses in Optivisors.  Whatever focal length/magnification the glass is far superior to the plastic.  After I got the glass lens set some local club members tried my plastic and my glass Optivisors and went out and got glass.

Plastic might be perfectly acceptable for some but not for me after trying the glass.

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

This product looks like an exact copy of the brand-name Optivisor - wonder what the origin of the product is - China maybe?  At the price I would bet on it!

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It is exactly the same principle for for a camera lens. I can buy a plastic lens  for $100 and a glass lens for $2000.

Plastic or glass is not important but quality optics have a price, sharpness of what you will see will be the same. 

A $2 magnifying glass will not be harmful if you wear it for few seconds but if you wear it hours, for carving  by example, well, may be it will be just the contrary!

8 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

I used plastic lens Optivisors and the lenses were clean and not scratched.  Absolutely no comparison to the quality of the glass lenses in Optivisors.  Whatever focal length/magnification the glass is far superior to the plastic.  After I got the glass lens set some local club members tried my plastic and my glass Optivisors and went out and got glass.

Plastic might be perfectly acceptable for some but not for me after trying the glass.

To me this is a real testament from someone who I trust more than a amazon reviewer who I have no contact with other than reading there review.

I can tell you that the DA-5's are really very good, so I am happy for the price! When it comes to my eyes I do not fool around. My eye glasses cost $600 for that reason, I worked in the arts most of my life and needed the best that I could get. My computer monitor cost $900, that is the part I look at! Could I get any of these items in this quality for less, I doubt it. Bottom line and the reason I posted this topic, If I am going to spend hours looking at or through something I want the best that I can get for what I can afford, for the job that I want it for. Thanks for all the input!   :)

11 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

This product looks like an exact copy of the brand-name Optivisor - wonder what the origin of the product is - China maybe?  At the price I would bet on it!

Kurt

Apparently yes, but they do not tell the focal distance to work with. For this reason, I would greatly hesitate.

2 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

As a comparison, I also wear glasses, When I buy 1 pair, the first option is always glass, but I always choose plastic, for the weight. For the optic qualities, it is exactly the same.

This forum has been open for around 10 years. This same question is asked about a couple time every year. So this question was answered many times before. There are no sections in the modeling tools and for this reason we can ask 100 time the same question and there will always be someone new to answer.

Optivisors has been on the market for many years. The first pair I bought was probably 30 years ago. This product was first sold for jewelers and their lenses are made  of plastic or glass . This product always made concensus among its users.

There is also many other options on the market: from $2 to over $2000. I always like to try tools, and I tried some magnifying glasses. At least , 10 years ago, I saw in in jewelry supply store 1 pair as above at $15. I tried it, By comparison with others, distortion factor is too high: so this pair ended in the garbage. Quality always had a price, and I am sorry, a $ 2 magnification lens which is probably made with no quality control, will never be a wise choice. It is better to wait and save $100 than throwing $20 in the garbage.

Here is an examples of other options, divided in 3 categories: Optivisor, clip-on and dental or surgical binoculars. Each one  have different options. The one you choose will always a matter of preferences, magnification factor and focal distance.

IMG_1575.jpg