Vasa by Peter G - Billing Boats - Scale 1/75 - BB490

On 10/16/2020 at 4:38 PM, dchrismiller said:

Hello Peter,

Your work is great! Congratulations. 

I have decided to build the Wasa (Vasa) as my next project. It seems from the evidence online that the Billing Boat kit is superior to the Corel. Maybe not, but I get the feeling that the Corel is based on a 40 year old design. 

My need is for guidance from you is this:  What is the quality and thoroughness of the plans and instructions?

Are there, in fact, plan sheets or are there just the drawings that are part of an instruction guide. I am very visual in my way of reading/following a (construction) process.

What's your opinion of the instructions/visuals of the Billing Boats Wasa model?

Many thanks and, again, well done.

Chris Miller

North Carolina, USA

I have been followed your log with great interest and I am very curious as to the instructions/plans/drawings of the Billing Boat kit. I have decided the Wasa(Vasa) will be my next build and have been doing some research into both the Corel and BillingBoat kits...advantages/disadvantages to both...what concerns me most is the instructions/plans/drawings...like Chris, I am visual and need good instruction to follow the process...I have read that the Corel model, which is translated from Italian, is lacking in both.

• 1 month later...

Chris thanks for the comments on my boat... Much appreciated....this is the latest pic I have on how far along I am..... OK now to the other stuff...... 

hulllatest.jpg.3ccd600cfc6e9b4f2db4d79cff2cd530.jpg

I have looked at the Corel plans and boats but in my opinion the Billings is much more superior, and I found this out over time. My actual model was bought  from the Wasa Museum in Sweden by my daughter when she visited there. So that was the kit I got. So no choice on my part, but coming from the museum I was quite impressed. I do not know if the museum sells the Corel.  As I went on I saw the Billings was the more accurate plans to the original in the museum.  With that said the plans leave a lot to be desired and lots si lest to your own discretion, and need to be scrutinized them very carefully before you put any part together.... sometimes they are clear and sometimes not. Asking questions of the Wasa group is also very helpful and reviewing the photos posted helps a great deal...... The photos can get mixed up between the Corel and Billings and they are not always indicated which ones are which, but you get to know the differences after awhile. Contacting the museum itself thro' thier web site amazed me. They replied almost immediately. Very impressed.  I have made a number of mistakes and had to put them right but that is the challenge of a very challenging boat build.    There are four (40inchx30inch) drawings very detailed and to scale. Two short booklets to help you along the way. I have attached the two booklets which are available from the Billings Boat web site.

I hope this helps. I have done two other Billings Boats and love them and I would only choose them but I have been gifted an

Artesiana Latina make of the Mayflower so that will be interesting..... Take care Chris and stay safe down there... always willing  to help which I have found all the members are.   JM

BB490 Wasa_Instruction.pdf BB490 Wasa_Instruction-2.pdf