• 1 month later...

Finished planking of the hull. Sorry no pic of that process. Fully sanded and primed. This is my best planking for sure. The old saying that the more you do something you will get better shows with each of my boat builds. Thanks everyone for following along and giving those thumbs up's.

1533789547_DSC00672-Edited.jpg.75201c6fece5d8415627b3868e0f9752.jpg445196312_DSC00673-Edited.jpg.2ed8fcf37fc368ad3d5a52c94dc63ed2.jpg593189469_DSC00675-Edited.jpg.356a11d9cd33a67b4a2e6835fb8cacf4.jpg994880197_DSC00676-Edited.jpg.8272ac78f637338f768e08b815cd2eff.jpg1992298373_DSC00677-Edited.jpg.420b6574b73cf27181e0efbb3315dcdd.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great to see this build coming along. How have you found the quality of the wood supplied by Soclaine? It looks pretty good to me in your photos. There is a Soclaine model that I'm interested in but I can't find much information about the quality of their kits.

Bob

To answer your question Bobg. I have no complaints about the quality of the wood in this Soclaine kit. I will say the instructions are not for beginners but if the modeler has some builds under their belt, they should be OK. This kit relays on using the scale drawings to complete the model.

3 hours ago, downeaster said:

This kit relays on using the scale drawings to complete the model.

When you say "scale drawings," does that mean they are 1:1 drawings? Also, are the drawings relatively easy to understand? I've seen some drawings that were so "cluttered" with detail that it was actually difficult to determine what I was actually looking at and to get accurate measurements. 

Bob 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Beautiful hull. I like these French fishing boats. Thanks for building one of them.

I love the small fishing vessels of the Mediterranean, Britain and the USA. There are quite a few models of these boats that some of the older model companies have produced over the years but, unfortunately, they are often plagued with poor quality materials and instructions and are not very historically accurate. Vanguard Models by Chris Watton will be releasing two fine examples pretty soon that will be very high quality:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20737-chris-watton-and-vanguard-models-news-and-updates/?do=findComment&comment=690037

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BobG said:

I love the small fishing vessels of the Mediterranean, Britain and the USA. There are quite a few models of these boats that some of the older model companies have produced over the years but, unfortunately, they are often plagued with poor quality materials and instructions and are not very historically accurate. Vanguard Models by Chris Watton will be releasing two fine examples pretty soon that will be very high quality:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20737-chris-watton-and-vanguard-models-news-and-updates/?do=findComment&comment=690037

I agree that finding a good quality kit is sometimes hard to do. There are so many of these fishing vessels around the Mediterranean Sea and the Normandy and Brittany shores, that you cannot go wrong if you decide to customize them a little bit. I know that Chris Watton is usually releasing very high quality boats, but the ones shown on your link are no-where to be found on the French coast lines. What you are building is "the" typical French fishing vessel. I have seen a lot of these when I was a kid and they are still used a lot nowadays.

Artesiana Latina and Constructo released similar vessels (My brother built a couple of them) but AL is now out of business and Constructo's quality is not exactly what you want....

Below are a few examples, but honestly, the Chalutier you picked up is probably the nicest one: 

NEWCAPMAQUETTES-MARIEANGE.jpg.9bdbeb0823ca2a7644cc5bff8797f83f.jpg

Marie-Ange by New Cap Maquettes

NEWCAPMAQUETTES-MARSOUIN.jpg.1d138ca0ada9b0898ef5f1a20f0e53f4.jpg

Le Marsouin, one of my favorite but almost impossible to find.

Maquette-Bateau-en-Bois-Nouveau-Mare-Nostrum-1-35.jpg.4fe09ff3342e9ae4e1d503f73b8d38cd.jpg

The Mare-Nostrum by AL....toy like when compared to your model.

1594471981_Boulogne-Billingboats.jpg.ed22a0181041a89b5121cc8c691e6a24.jpg

The Boulogne by Billing Boats.

There are many more and it would take an entire thread to cover them all. I hope you do not feel like I hijacked your thread. Let em know.

Thanks

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal
  • 2 months later...