Small propellers (AKA screws)

In between laying planking on my C W Morgan, I have been building the old Model Shipways “Yellow Box” City of Pekin, steam canal barge. Today it seemed like a good idea to install the props, prior to setting it on a base. But, the bag of fittings did not include the props. I purchased the kit on eBay several years ago. I don’t know if the seller lost them or MS didn’t include them. They need to be rather small, about 1/8th inch in diameter. (Model scale is 1/8” to 1’). To get to my point I haven’t been able to find props that small at any of the model ship stores. The smallest seems to be 20mm. I can probably scratch build something passable but I am wondering if any of the shipwrights out there have any suggestions for a source.  I was thinking that perhaps an old plastic warship kit might have something useable.

Ron Gove

The props were not part of the kit.  I have a like new yellow box kit with plans and all, with the fittings bag unopened - no props.

The vintage of the COP when it was stem propelled would have used two bladed props.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Can you find 4-bladed props?  It would take some surgery to turn them into 2-bladed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Very small two bladed propellers can be made by twisting thin wire into a figure 8 shape, skewed to represent pitch.  The two lobes can then be filled in with modelling putty or even thick paint.

Roger

That is a good idea. I used a thin brass strip, rounded the edges and gave it a twist.  I think I will try your wire idea.