Caldercraft/Jotika seams to be back producing new kits

I am not sure how old this update is from their webpage, but i didnt see it last time i visited. 

Looks like exciting news!

*Latest News*

Recent developments:

Regular visitors here will be aware that there have been few updates made to our site for some time. Our recent program of expansion has put severe demands on our time but we have been able to benefit from the recent economic downturn and, while many businesses have downscaled, we have successfully taken advantage of various opportunities, investing in and expanding our business through the introduction of new products and adding to our range of distributed product lines.

The weak pound has also resulted in a surge of overseas orders for our own manufactured kits such as Nelsons Navy, Heritage Series and Caldercraft and it has been a constant struggle to increase our output to meet demand. In fact, the past 18-24 months has seen the greatest rate of expansion of the business since we began over 20 years ago!

We have invested in more manufacturing equipment and taken on new staff and, as a result, we are slowly getting ahead of things again. Regular customers will be pleased to know that we are now preparing releases for some of the new kits that have been held back recently.

We are also hoping to get back to more regular updating of our website as we have literally hundreds of new products to add. In the mean time, our current pricelist is available to download in PDF format from the 'Downloads' section of the website.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Hi Vane, I've just been on Jotikas site and according to their news bulletin they are bringing out a model of HMS Surprise 1:64 and eventually a 74 gun liner in 1:64 

We will have to wait and see. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

8 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Hi Vane, I've just been on Jotikas site and according to their news bulletin they are bringing out a model of HMS Surprise 1:64 and eventually a 74 gun liner in 1:64 

We will have to wait and see. 

This info is more than 10years old. It was released when they were still developing the Nelsons Navy series. The strange thing is that they didnt remove it when the production stopped. We will see if these projects are still valid. They started to develop the HMS Surprise after the Master and commander movie. At that time it could had become a very popular kit, but maybe it is different now. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

57 minutes ago, Vane said:

This info is more than 10years old. It was released when they were still developing the Nelsons Navy series. The strange thing is that they didnt remove it when the production stopped. We will see if these projects are still valid. They started to develop the HMS Surprise after the Master and commander movie. At that time it could had become a very popular kit, but maybe it is different now. 

Yup, that's been on there for many years. It's been so long that I wouldn't be surprised if there were never any new Nelson's Navy kits. 

Doesn't matter though, we now have Vanguard Models (Chris Watton) putting out great new kits. 

Perhaps its him and Chuck that reminded the old companies that they cant just sit back and rely on old successes... 

From one point of view there is still enough intersting kits out there which i will never be able to find the time to complete. But new kits kind of make me even more interested in this hobby. I am sure it will inspire me to build more. 

Caldercraft was a real booster when they created the Nelson line. Now Chris is taking the next step into a New era of kits. Royal Navy ships in 1/64 From 1750- 1815 is what i am looking for.

Chris only worked for Caldercraft as designer.  He's not affiliated with them in any way at this point.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes as I understand alot of the ships in Nelson Navy was designed by him when he was working for them 15-20years ago such as the Agamemnon etc. 

He also worked for Amati/Victory and designed Lady Nelson, Pegasus and Vanguard.  And we are all waiting for the masterpiece HMS Victory in 1:64 to be released. 

Now with Vanguard models we can expect him designing a whole new line of 1:64 Royal navy ships. Just looking at the Alert and upcoming Speedy its clear that these brings the kitmodels to a complete new level of details and design for making it more easy for the modeller.

Caldercraft really need to start upgrading their old kits if they are not going to be outrunned by the new competition. Nelson Navy was a gamechanger 20 years ago. I recently bought the amazing Diana kit. Its one of the best looking models in my view, but opening the box you realize that plans, instructions, precuts, etc is very poor compared to newer kits. Even though you are building an advanced model, there is no reason to let the modeller basically scratchbuild alot of parts and guess the details of the design. Their newer kits such as the Granado shows how much kitdesigns deveped between 1995 and 2005. And now we are 15years more into the future. 

If you’re looking for Royal Navy vessels from 1750-1815, check out the Triton and the Winchelsea group builds.

The plans are in pdf format (which makes them easy to rescale) and all major parts (and most of the minor parts for the Winchelsea) are predrawn.  This makes it so you can print, glue the plans down and cut.

Chuck did an awesome job of planning out the Winchelsea.  It’s also designed to be a hull model, so you wouldn’t have to deal with the rigging, unless you wanted to (When I get to it, I plan to modify the plans to allow for masts and rigging, but I really enjoy the process of rigging).

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Yes I have seen the groupbuilds and they are impressive, but I think i will stick to the kits for a long while. Besides from my Snake, Granado and Diana, I have alot on my wishlist: Speedy, Pegasus, Agamemnon, Alert... and rumours of upcoming Bristol, Bellona and a 1:64 Victory. Probably enough for a lifetime !

• 2 years later...

Oh, my giddy aunt! I’ve had a reply from JoTiKa! Quote-
“Dear Mr Marley, I can assure you we’re still in business and producing Caldercraft kits. At present, shipping of static kits are 5-7 days from placement of order. We’re still trying to recover from the past 18 months. Our kit stock was all sold out in the first month of COVID lockdown, and we’ve been running to catch up ever since. Severe disruption in the supply chain had not helped. 

Regarding HMS Surprise, we had hoped to release the kit just before COVID but were unable to do so. It will not be released before next year. 
Miniature Steam Models (Australian distributor) decided to withdraw from the market last year. I will remind our web-editor to remove them. Kind regards, John Wright. Director.”

I’m a happy guy again. I’ve had my glass trained on the Surprise for literally years now. I’d better start saving my doubloons…

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory