Hi all

I am looking for info on how the cutters were secured or lashed to the skid beams. Right now they are sitting in small cradles. I was going to put some eye hooks on the beams on both sides of each boat and just run a rope from the eye, over the boat and then down to the eye on the other side. I would do this both fore and aft for each boat. Any possible solutions would be appreciated. 

D84DE0A3-F8CD-4472-B60E-0893ACC79ACE.thumb.jpeg.a6ec55640b8ad89790eda0cdeb167e4d.jpeg

thanks

Tom

Tom,

That may have been the way it was done or it's just a modeling convention.   I've seen it that way on a few plans and in zuMondfeld but nothing from primary sources.  Not in primary sources might indicate that there was a "known way" that didn't need documentation.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. That is kind of what I thought since I did not find any definitive info. I guess any way that keeps the boat put is the right way in this case. 

Tom

Like so many things it depends on the period. Not sure, whether this is correct for your case also, but at least from the middle of the 19th century on 'gripes', i.e. flat iron hooks with an eye at the other end, where hooked over the rails of the boats and lashed down to eye-bolts or something else convenient. Another method is to to put a wooden bar across the boat that has notches for the rails. This bar then is lashed down to a convenient point. Although the cradles lock the boats into place to some extent, it is important to prevent any sideway rocking movement, hence the notches in the bar.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wooden warships are somewhat unique.  They are often assembled from various parts fitted together, and adaotable to other uses.  Also, all the parts were subject to battle damage and replacement.

While, it is perfectly reasonable the carpenter was called out and bored a hole, and the blacksmith hammered an iron eye with clenched rivets to hold it.  But, i nthe case of hatch beams, particularly spar deck one that might need t be moved for any number of reasons, a rope strop with an eye would be much faster, and non-destructive to the wooden timber, as well as being adjustable to differing needs (lost boat, expended spars, etc.)  A strap could then be made up to go over the boat, and the two eyes siezed together P & S.  Being able to draw thimbled eyes together also means being able to tighten thing up ahead of a blow, too.

This is not definitive, just musings based on being around sailors, and sailing out at sea.

It is fascinating, considering the amount of detail found on contemporary models, that so little detail exists for the boats.  SO, maybe it was all just "sailor stuff" and the Bo's'n just sorted it, or there was some other reason to skip over that detail.

Dunno, I'll spot you 2¢ for t'pence in return