Not Just On The Tourist Brochures

Jim Lad

I'd sure hate to hit one of those at highway speeds.  Do you guys have Roo crossing signs like we have Deer crossing signs around our neck of the woods, or don't they follow specific routes most of the time?  Around here, even hitting one of our full grown turkeys with your vehicle can do a lot of damage.  I've hit one and it destroyed a good portion of our front end to the tune of around three grand!  Seat belts are a GOOD thing!

Dave, kangaroo crossing signs are pretty common where roos might commonly be encountered on the road.  The most dangerous times are dawn and dusk, especially in drought times, when they come up along the roads looking for the green 'pick' that grows along the edges.

John

Yep, roos are also "herding" animals, though a group of kangaroos is called a mob. Funny, if you just look at the head, you'd swear deer and kangaroos were related.

Related image   Image result for deer 

We hit a wallaby a few months ago (like a kangaroo but a bit smaller). It hit the front passenger' side, made a mess of the bodywork. BIG bang. Poor thing didn't survive.

I've also hit an emu (many years ago - must have been the 1980s). I was in a Toyota Corolla and a group of them came out of a bunch of scrub one side of the road and vanished into the scrub the other side. I thought "that's stuffed the car", but when I got out and looked I couldn't see any evidence of the collision at all. Of course birds are more lightly built than mammals, but an emu is way bigger than a turkey (it's a little smaller than an ostrich). Must have been just a glancing blow.

Wherever you get countryside you get roos, including in suitable farmland (pasture, usually, with some trees for shade). And Australia is considerably more sparsely settled than the US. We live about an hour's drive from Mebourne and there's a lot of countryside in between. You see roos in some farmer's paddock occasionally but you're far more likely to see sheep or cattle. Kangaroos usually keep to the less settled areas and they usually sleep in the daytime and come out to feed at dusk.

Steven