USS Gambier Bay by Alex Parker - Hasegawa - 1:350 - PLASTIC

So that actually helped some - the worst of the grittiness is gone.  I definitely will have some touching up to do where the masks didn't quite sit down over the surface features of the hull.  But it is smooth enough that it should take a gloss clear coat if I decide I need one to do any significant weathering on top of.  I may just punt and seal it with a matte clear and call it good ("as delivered").

Next ship model is going to be a subject that's all-over battleship gray, however.  I'll stick to camouflaging airplanes!

Howdy Alex, glad to see the Baby Carrier posted here as a thread.  Keep up the good work.  She builds up into a impressive piece of US Navy History.  I built the Bluejacket version many, many moons ago.  And yes, the paint scheme is daunting, but with care is very doable.  The paint set for the Bluejacket Gambier Bay was very expensive then and a lacquer base paint.  But when applied as recommended, she turned out nice.  The only fault I had with that kit was you did not get enough aircraft F4F Hellcats.  The kit is no longer available, so if one wants to build a Gambier Bay will go the route you are building from a Hasegawa kit.  Look forward to your next up-date.

Rick😎

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

So some additional progress today, but I'm not 100% happy.  The photos below show the dazzle camo scheme mostly done.  Even though I lightened the Ocean Gray and the Black with 10% white, I wish I had done much more, maybe 25%.  They still look too dark for that "huge object, far away" atmospheric fading effect.  But I'm not redoing it at this point - file for next time.  I was not happy with the location of the edge of the antifouling red as I originally painted it, so oversprayed with black and will come back next time and re-mask and re-spray the red.

What is more of a quandary for me is the deck blue.  I used Hasegawa's recommended mix (50/50 Navy Blue / Dark Gray) and lightened it with 10% White.  It looks much too dark to me, and not blue enough.  What do others think?  If I am going to change it, it has to be now, before I start hand-painting all the other tiny bits of deck surface around the gun mounts, sponsons, etc.  I'm thinking adding a bit of medium blue and a fair amount of white to it.

deckBlue2.JPG

deckBlue1.JPG

4 hours ago, RickyGene said:

Howdy Alex, glad to see the Baby Carrier posted here as a thread.  Keep up the good work.  She builds up into a impressive piece of US Navy History.  I built the Bluejacket version many, many moons ago.  And yes, the paint scheme is daunting, but with care is very doable.  The paint set for the Bluejacket Gambier Bay was very expensive then and a lacquer base paint.  But when applied as recommended, she turned out nice.  The only fault I had with that kit was you did not get enough aircraft F4F Hellcats.  The kit is no longer available, so if one wants to build a Gambier Bay will go the route you are building from a Hasegawa kit.  Look forward to your next up-date.

Rick😎

Thanks Rick - glad you are enjoying following along.  The Hasegawa kit only gives you 3 Hellcats and 3 TBF Avengers.  It's possible to buy more separately, so in principle I could put the entire air wing on deck, but I'm not sure I have it in me to build and paint that many 1:350 airplanes - her maximum compliment was 28!

Edited by Alex Parker

Looks good, Alex.  On the deck... that looks like deck from the few color photos of various carriers when new.  As it aged (pretty quick with sun, water, scrub downs and operations, it faded and acquired some grunge including skid marks.  There are colored pics out there on the web of carriers's decks of that era.  I guess it depends on the look that you want.  Right now everything looks fresh and new.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So here are some internet color photos that seem to corroborate the color I've got at least for the newly-applied deck stain.  Given that Gambier Bay survived less than a year after her commissioning, and after doing a bunch of ferry service delivering aircraft to Enterprise and others only really saw about 6 months of action prior to being lost in the Battle of Samar, it's probably not realistic to show her deck as extremely weathered.  I'll have to decide how much I want to try to do and how.  It's a large area.  Maybe with a large soft brush I could do some very light dry-brushing to reflect worn stain - probably light gray paint since exposed wood would likely bleach gray really fast in that environment.  Plus the photo of the Dauntless is a great one - need to hang on to that as I have a 1/48 Tamiya Dauntless in my kit stash somewhere...

deck5.jpeg

deck4.jpg

deck3.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck1.jpg

deck6.jpg

CV-6.jpg

You're probably right on that deck.  The 3rd and 4th photos down with the Daughtless (that is a good photo)... is that the Gambler Bay or a different ship?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

You're probably right on that deck.  The 3rd and 4th photos down with the Daughtless (that is a good photo)... is that the Gambler Bay or a different ship?  

I think they are all different ships; none of them are Gambier Bay to my knowledge.  Probably most of the (rare) newsmen with color photo equipment that were deployed in the Pacific were sent to fleet carriers.

https://www.flightjournal.com/fixin-the-boat-of-splinters-and-tail-hooks/

Tail hook damage and an interesting article. I also read that the decks were the dark blue Color to make it harder for dive bombers, and by 1945 they reverted from the dazzle to blue as it just made the ships easier to see from the air for Kamikaze. By then the submarine threat has ‘mostly’ subsided. 

E2717D47-CCE9-4245-B28A-B3EEADB4CE28.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

22 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Very Nice!!  Especially the dazzle paint job.

If I may suggest,  to do your model justice you need some nice turned brass pedestals.  Those large, I assume kit supplied, plastic ones are too clumsy for such a nice model

Roger

Thanks Roger,

As I am also a bit of a woodworker, I was thinking I would turn some pedestals out of some nice burl wood, maybe walnut or cherry, on my lathe, and then mount them on a black-painted wood or possibly black granite rectangular base.  Not exactly settled on that, but at the rate the build is going, I have months to decide... 

23 hours ago, RGL said:

https://www.flightjournal.com/fixin-the-boat-of-splinters-and-tail-hooks/

Tail hook damage and an interesting article. I also read that the decks were the dark blue Color to make it harder for dive bombers, and by 1945 they reverted from the dazzle to blue as it just made the ships easier to see from the air for Kamikaze. By then the submarine threat has ‘mostly’ subsided. 

E2717D47-CCE9-4245-B28A-B3EEADB4CE28.jpeg

That's a great photo.  Thanks (and for the link)

• 1 year later...

Oh man, I just found this build today and it extremely helpful. Just yesterday I posted pictures of my recently resurrected Bluejacket Gambier Bay that I've had for decades. Your pictures will be a tremendous help in the little details the the Bluejacket kit are vague on, especially the vents or drains (or whatever they are) on the side of the hull. The Bluejacket plans show them as just dark squares with no mention of what they are or what they looked like. Not sure I'm going to attempt to do the Measure 32/12A the CVE 73 carried, Just too much involved to try and tackle. I was going to go with the simple Measure 11 which was overall sea blue, but I recently discovered Measure 32/4a which was carried by CVE-60 USS Guadalcanal. Seems a little more manageable to achieve even though CVE-73 probably didn't wear it. 

Your Gambier Bay is coming out great, Hope fully we get to see it finished. One thing you could try to lighten some of the colors you feel are too dark it mix a little white or light grey into some clear, either gloss or flat, I've used that method fade paint on aircraft I've built for weathering purposes.

Coming along nicely.

You may want to look here for the various schemes these ships wore: https://shipcamouflage.com/usn_cve.htm

very good site for USN camo in WW II.

Gambier Bay was in MS 21 (overall Navy Blue 5-N) in 1943, then MS 32/15a, per this site. But photo evidence would override a database.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 2/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, jep1210 said:

Oh man, I just found this build today and it extremely helpful. Just yesterday I posted pictures of my recently resurrected Bluejacket Gambier Bay that I've had for decades. Your pictures will be a tremendous help in the little details the the Bluejacket kit are vague on, especially the vents or drains (or whatever they are) on the side of the hull. The Bluejacket plans show them as just dark squares with no mention of what they are or what they looked like. Not sure I'm going to attempt to do the Measure 32/12A the CVE 73 carried, Just too much involved to try and tackle. I was going to go with the simple Measure 11 which was overall sea blue, but I recently discovered Measure 32/4a which was carried by CVE-60 USS Guadalcanal. Seems a little more manageable to achieve even though CVE-73 probably didn't wear it. 

Your Gambier Bay is coming out great, Hope fully we get to see it finished. One thing you could try to lighten some of the colors you feel are too dark it mix a little white or light grey into some clear, either gloss or flat, I've used that method fade paint on aircraft I've built for weathering purposes.

Measure 32/12A...

1826576417_Pattern_sheet_MS-32_12A_for_Casablanca_class.thumb.jpg.eff69d4c50c7600ff373b44f4b0dd029.jpg

Measure 32/4A....

510311907_Pattern_sheet_MS-32_4A_for_Casablanca_class.jpg.785b6a7a79fb7732064fa93532196632.jpg

Check your pic references for when what ship had what pattern.....

Given the wide fades between 5-L & 5-H to the 5-N bands on pattern 4A, 12A would be the easier pattern to paint IMHO.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

19 hours ago, Egilman said:

Measure 32/12A...

1826576417_Pattern_sheet_MS-32_12A_for_Casablanca_class.thumb.jpg.eff69d4c50c7600ff373b44f4b0dd029.jpg

Measure 32/4A....

510311907_Pattern_sheet_MS-32_4A_for_Casablanca_class.jpg.785b6a7a79fb7732064fa93532196632.jpg

Check your pic references for when what ship had what pattern.....

Given the wide fades between 5-L & 5-H to the 5-N bands on pattern 4A, 12A would be the easier pattern to paint IMHO.....

I plan on using an airbrush so I don't think the fades of 4a won't be too difficult.

35 minutes ago, jep1210 said:

I plan on using an airbrush so I don't think the fades of 4a won't be too difficult.

Nothing is impossible my friend..... Show us some pics along the way brother..... it will look spectacular.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"