HMS Pickle by Norway - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 - First ever wood model

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mugje!

Good point you are making there!

Rigging goes faster than woodwork with me from a experience point of view.

I have 25 years of experience from aquaculture which helps a lot working with rope and tying. 

I think of starting the Pegasus all the time, but i have decided to stay true to finish Pickle first. 

Although lately i have maybe opened a thought of building another small less complicated model before starting Pegasus. 

HMS Speedy from Vanguard Models look fantastic i think....

Edited by Norway

• 2 weeks later...

Started rigging the fore yards. I did not look forward to this. I used 0,75mm rope for the vertical holders for footropes on the fore yard. Brushed all the ropes with thinned PVA to stiffen them up. This was the best i could do. Did not take long time to find out that i prefer standing rigging compared to running rigging 😊

20200112_150033.jpg

20200112_150033.jpg

20200112_150043.jpg

20200112_150052.jpg

20200112_150126.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you mugje! :)

Speedy will be my next build yes.

I have both Speedy and Pegasus ready in the box here at home.

Think i will do the Speedy first. Looks like a good second bulid to improve my skills.

The Pegasus looks very difficult. The instructions and plans seems to me to be not detailed and good.

Edited by Norway

The Pegasus is a step up indeed, but doable imo. With the excisting logs here on the forum it's okay I guess. 

Especially the build log of Blue Ensign is really great. I will also buy the 3D model that's now released...for some improvements on the

kit perhaps.

But Speedy is a very good choice! It look like a really fun build :) 

• 1 month later...

What a first-class job on this model. I am unable to see any part of it, however small, that I would have done differently. I am building my first wooden model right now and I already can see that it will not be even close to how nice this one is. It looks like you've been building these for your whole life!

Also the subject model is a very pretty little ship. I like models like this, not the big famous principle ships from a historical event but the smaller more obscure ones. I can imagine being the young Lieutenant with his first command, accompanied by a couple of warrant officers and a few men, speeding on their way with despatches from the fleet. 

I very much enjoyed reading about this build. Thanks!

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me