Chikuma by Javlin - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - IJN Heavy Cruiser

Awesome work as always Kevin!

That Scharnhorst will be sweet!  Cant wait to see your work on it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Scharnhorst is a nice ship for sure.  At 1/200, it's going to be a big one.  I ended up buying a 1/200 Bismarck with full Pontos upgrade from someone on here a few years ago, and when the box showed up, I freaked out.  Took some super quick action on my part to break down the shipping box and "hide" it on one of the model shelves.  Of course, one of my twins who at the time was 7 saw it a few days later and told me she wanted me to build it for her.  I told her she'd have to probably wait until she was in college 😬

Are you getting any aftermarket for it?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That looks like a perfect add-on.  I just looked at the kit, and it has quite a lot of the important PE - railings, funnel tops, etc.  Adding that Chinese set for the guns and deck will close the gap on what the kit itself is missing.

Mike

Looks fantastic Kevin - almost to the finish line!

Mike

2 hours ago, CDW said:

You are really doing a jam-up job on her, Kevin. Beautiful lines!

Thanks Craig I am having Fun with this one ;)

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Great job!

Does she get float planes?

It's either 5/6 all together Roger and their will be a flier or two ;)

I have the Kagero book very nice indeed but it has to be after the refit late in the war all double A's went triple with two extra around the center spotlight.The refit also included a dozen or so single A's on the foredeck and aft along with new radar.I would of had to have the book a couple years ago when I started to make the adjustments to late now also must be a later Chikuma out there from Tamyia.

Edited by Javlin

Looks great Kevin.  Very sharp looking!

Mike

11 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks great Kevin.  Very sharp looking!

Thanks Mike really enjoying this one can't wait to get to the rigging makes the ship pop.I have a 1/350 flying boat(4 engine) if I can find the rest of the pieces I will put on a wire banking the ship if not order in some Zeros.;)

48 minutes ago, Javlin said:

I get back from HobbyTown Mobile for supplies and I have a small package on the front porch

Almost 4 feet long? do they make a cabinet big enough? {chuckle}

I'm down for this one...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, Javlin said:

EG you've seen some of my wood work that will be the easiest part of the build.The question is does it come in the house(computer/gun display) or does it go were the Gato(4ft) resides?:D

Yes, Gorgeous work as well... That's a nice decision to make....

Enjoy...

Will be following with interest....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

12 hours ago, RGL said:

Good looking ship there ! 

Coming from you Greg I take that as a very good comment.Thanks;)

12 hours ago, king derelict said:

The aircraft are really very nice

Thks Alan a couple hours of work some fictitious but we have color.;)

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Nicely done, Javlin. The floatplanes look good.

Thks Ken the ribbons on the  a/c are fictitious coming from the Yahagi kit there's even a/c ID #'s on the tail yellow band yellow numbers red band red numbers;)

Edited by Javlin

I think you'd bring home ribbons for those 3. Nicely done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild