In search for the perfect wood for the North American model ship builder

The photo below shows wood species from my wood pile.  From the top of the photo down: Holly, Lilac, Buckthorn.  

Relative Hardnesses:  Basswood. 410

Buckthorn.  1040

Hard Maple. 1450

Lilac.   2350

BBB81859-73C5-45F5-941A-8FA465BE7B56.thumb.jpeg.f451171a102751e2565caa29f629c74e.jpeg

Both Lilac and Buckthorn have tight, fine, and unabtrusive  grain structures.  According to the Wooddatabase both can be us d for small carvings.  When cut and planed both had a polished surface.   Lilac could be used for carvings and turnings.  Buckthorn in larger sizes could be used for POF structural members.

The small clump trees in the next photo are Buckthorn growing on the edge of my yard.

576915A0-F8DF-492A-964D-74A89A1D56CF.thumb.jpeg.0c2fae96171ee04086f9d8ac7de02b68.jpeg

I have some experience with Chestnut.  In 1960 my parents had a pile of wormy Chestnut lumber milled into tongue and groove paneling.  It was quite soft, had a very pronounced grain structure, not unlike Oak, except that it has very dark bands between adjacent grain sections.  It made a nice backboard for a half model but I would consider it to be unsuitable for other ship modeling uses.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett