Hello from Philadelphia

AFedetz

Hi everyone!  I recently found this forum browsing the internet looking at ship models.  Growing up my grandfather shared his passion with me of model building, aircraft, engineering and electronics. We would build small plastic airplane models and launch rockets, he even let me fly his RC plane a few times.

As I'm now in adulthood I have rekindled my interest in models as well as a new passion for wooden sailing ships. Recently I have started a plastic USS Constitution, however my job required a sudden move from Maryland and it has been sitting in storage due to a want of hobby space.  Thus, I am vicariously living my building dreams through your post of current builds until I can square away some time and room.  

I have decided to purse the wooden route upon my return to modeling. I have my eyes set on the revenue cutter by Bluejacket as my first introduction to wood. 

I am looking forward to participating with this wonderful community.

AF

AF, come down to Penns Landing at the Independence Seaport Museum on Saturday starting at 10A.  The Philadelphia Ship Model Society is hosting a ModelCon.  There will be ALOT of model ships, plus maybe you'll be interested to meet others who build ship models.  

Joshua 

PhillyCon 9.24.PNG

Welcome to MSW!  A lesson I learned on my first shelved kit...make sure before you spend hours shaping a solid hull that the mast holes are predrilled and that it didn’t slip in the jig.  This happened to me, only for me to find out late and become frustrated.  Had I of noticed it earlier I’m sure the manufacturer would have replaced it.  

E99400DC-F437-4240-9B85-5E78A97EDA4D.jpeg

807D1D5E-93E8-4270-96DF-7E9977A3C8A8.jpeg

FE2F1614-030B-471A-81DE-3913A568315C.jpeg

Edited by Duanelaker

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Do you have access to the Philadelphia Maritime Museum?

It does or did host the John Lenthall collection,  which seems to have a large number of

plans for USN ships covering the first half of the 19th C.

It would be helpful to know what if any data they will provide over the Net.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers