Ol' Pine Tar

La Belle Poule 1932 by Ol’ Pine Tar (Len Turner) - Dusek - 1:50

I’ve been fiddlin’ around with model ships off and on for several years. Up to now, I’ve never really settled in and completed a display quality model ship. I’ve started a couple of build logs here on MSW; (1) Model Shipways Willie Bennett; which was almost completed but got lost somewhere moving, and (2) Model Shipways Fair American, which I still work on occasionally. I'm still relatively inexperienced so I’m always open to critique, comments, advice, and suggestions. Please don’t hesitate to jump in...

About the kit…

The Belle Poule (1932) kit is produced by Dusek Ship Kits. Not going to do the “what’s in the box” thing here as Dusek Ship Kits has posted an excellent “what’s in the box” video and Dirk (Dubz) posted a fine review of the kit and contents.

First impressions:

1. There are a lot more laser cut parts and the wood appears to be of much better quality than I have seen in other kits. Its obvious that a lot of research, planning, and engineering has been done to produce this kit.

2. The plans and instructions appear to be adequate. I like that the plan sheets have layouts of the laser-cut parts sheets so you don’t have to sort through all the parts sheets when you’re looking for specific items.

3. I'm anxious to see how the laser-cut pre-spiled planking works out.

Scale 1:50

• Length: 755 mm (292332in)

• Width: 255 mm (10364in )

• Height: 655 mm (252532in

About La Belle Poule…

La Belle Poule (1932) is the fourth ship of the French Navy to bear the name. The modern Belle Poule, the subject of this kit, was launched on February 8, 1932, at Chantiers de Normandie at Fecamp, France, and is a replica of an Icelandic cod fishing vessel. She has a sister ship, Étoile. In 1940 she was seized by the British and served the Free French Forces during the Second World War. Since 1978, the Belle Poule has been sponsored by the city of Pauillac, France and underwent an extensive renovation and restoration in 2017.

La Belle Poule is 123’ long, a beam of 24’ and has displacement 225 tons. Powered by sail and a 285 hp diesel engine, the ship is able to sail up to 12.5 knots under sail and up to 9 knots powered by diesel engine. She still maintains a very active sailing schedule.

BellePoule 2019-0925 MSW002.jpg

BellePoule 2019-0925 MSW001.jpg

Punched out and cleaned up keel, frames, and reinforcements. Keel had a very minor warp and twist but wetting it a little and clamping it in the keel clamp seemed to take care of that. Dry fit is good with everything going together well with sufficient clearances but not too loose. I'm very pleased with the quality of the wood and accuracy of the laser cutting.25746087_1-BPBuildPhotos1.jpg.8d50ebd85a099a169785522a224b9034.jpg

Edited by Ol' Pine Tar
question answered

Posted (edited)

Thanks GrandpaPhil and ccoyle for the "Likes"

Began planking the first layer of pre-spiled planks. This first layer is of very thin plywood so no soaking. Gave them a bit of pre-curve with electric plank bender and left them clamped up overnight.

So far I've been impressed with the quality of the materials and accuracy of the laser cutting, but I did notice some areas on some of the plywood sheets where the plies have separated. I made an attempt to inject some wood glue into the separations, and weight them down on a flat surface. Otherwise, no problems.

After dry fitting several planks, I started the planking with the "b" plank so I can use the bulkhead extensions to hook rubber bands over for clamping if needed. With the pre-spiled planks, I saw no need to line off the hull, but I am curving and dry fitting 3 or 4 planks ahead of the one I'm gluing. This is also my first build with multiple planking layers - there are actually three layers in some areas. Instructions say to start at the top and work down so...

1-IMG_3141.JPG

Edited by Ol' Pine Tar

29 minutes ago, Ol' Pine Tar said:

Thanks GrandpaPhil and ccoyle for the "Likes"

I have a soft spot for topsail schooners.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I have a soft spot for topsail schooners.

Thanks Chris! I'm a big fan of schooners too. For models, I much prefer these smaller vessels in larger scales. and... no guns to rig...😁

Uh-oh... First re-do... with the first planks secured, I realized the transom was mounted much too vertical, mainly because I failed to sshape the stern frames to the proper angle - not paying attention to plans? I did manage to remove it intact. I'm going to wait until I get more of the first layer of planking done before I start reshaping the stern frames and attaching the transom piece so I can get everything matched up.

Continued the first planking layer...

1-IMG_3146.JPG

Hi Len,

I think I'll follow along on your build. I have built the Billing version l'Etoile of this model some years ago and it takes pride of place in my den. It has nice lines and a tidy topsail schooner rig. Sadly Billing has taken this model out of their line-up. Thankfully Dusek have taken on the Belle Poule.

All the best with your build!

Peter

Completed planking the hull; doing some filling and sanding. The laser cut pre-spiled planks worked out quite well. Had to trim and/or taper the last few planks, but overall was OK. This is a nice kit.

Stained and poly’d the deck sheets; Minwax “Gunstock” stain, satin Wipe-On Poly.

1-IMG_3199.JPG