Struggling newbie

Duncan C

Well I am down stream of my brother and his habit of losing interest in things. The recent consequence was aquiring a pristine Latina HMS Bounty Jolly boat kit along with remants of another minus the frame. Having no experience other than plastic Revell models during childhood (I'm now 73 I think) how was I to know how much was involved. Clearly it is not a beginner's model. Nonetheless not knowing what I was getting into I forged ahead using the painfully sparse directions. The model stands now with some serious flaws largely due to my failure to properly shape the frame members close to the decking. Planking using itsy bitsy nails was impossible so I resorted to soaking them in boiling water and forming them over whatever cookware seemed to have the closest tighter curvature and let them dry. Gluing followed. Once finished it will be a treasured if imperfect gift for my son. I am left awestruck by the masterwork of others who have shared photographs of their work on this site. Some of the vessels are frankly hard to even imagine building from scratch. To me even forming up  decent looking oars is quite a challenge particularly when trying to get them to match. Anyway it is reasuring that there is such a wealth of experience, talent, and knowledge available to those of us just beginning to build model vessels. It is a remarkably interesting and challenging endeavor. 

Best regards,

Duncan Coolidge

If you are completing then you are a 'successful' newbie. There will always be someone 'better' as with most things in life some people dedicate everything to specific endeavours and so will be miles ahead of everyone else. I tend to be happy if my current model improves on my last and fortunately there is a huge amount to improve..

Anyway welcome to the site!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW, Duncon.

I go along with what Matrim said.   Feel free to ask all the questions you have.  If you decide on another model, open a build log as it's the best way to get help and make friends here.

I would suggest that any questions be posted in the appropriate area here as many times things get skipped over here in the "introduction" area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Duncan - another relative newbie to this form of torture. I think we all have/had problems with planking but if you take a bit of time to read these articles http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php I think you'll see how it works without too much stress. Really if the end result pleases you that's all that matters and each subsequent model WILL get easier and better.

Rick

Welcome to MSW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome from N Ireland . Every build is a learning experience so the next one will be better . Perfection is something to aim for but can never be  reached . Just enjoy and don,t be afraid to ask questions ,the folks here will always help . 

Havw fun ,Boyd

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome. My model of the Jolly Boat continues to challenge me, but it is coming together. Filled with flaws it will still look good to someone less observant or critical. I may do a second one just to satisfy myself that I have learned something in the process. I did discover a nifty way to thread those tiny three holed dead eyes. After drilling them as suggested I used a touch of very thin cyanoacrylate on the end of the thread and trimmed the end off with an Xacto blade. That formed a nice stuff 'needle' that passed through the tiny holes quite easily. Bee's wax might have done as well. Too I found hemostats to be an invaluable part of a ship modeler's rigging tool kit along with a very generous collection of tiny clamps for planking. It is certainly a fun and satisfying endeavor, and it is heartening to know there are so many others who enjoy these interesting challenges and are willing to share their hard earned knowledge. At one point in desperation while planking I thought 'Oh hell!  I might just as well build a full sized boat. It might be easier.' 

Interesting article on traditional rigging using dead eyes: http://www.woodenboatfittings.com.au/articles/setting-up-shrouds.pdf

As an aside, in September (I forget the actual date) there is a yearly international 'Talk like a pirate' day. Who'd have thought.

Best regards to all you hearty plankers,

Duncan

Welcome!  I believe I did one of those ships...certainly a lesson learner for me!  Hope you enjoyed yourself 😊