HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Some fiddly work done - made up the capstans,some of the bitts,gratings, & ladders. I glued the ladders to the gratings so I could better determine where to put the stanchions for the handrail ropes - it would otherwise be difficult to install them with the gratings in place.  I made half-lap joints for the coamings.   No finish has been put on these assemblies yet - I try to make up as many of the sub-assemblies as I can before applying a finish. The fewer times I open the can of poly,the less likely it will dry up in the can.  Some of the plan sheets show a base for the capstans & some don`t,so I think I will add them - I don`t think they would sit directly on the deck planks.  The ladder parts are nicely made - not too thick & clunky looking like most kit ladders.

capstans.JPG.aafe79025c0d5b1f4010a23a1de1baa1.JPG

gratings.JPG.62262aa0b4b78e5746bf9a12c32580c9.JPG

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

On to the ships`s stove.  The basic stove is provided as laser cut wood & went together quickly.  The best part is all 4 sides of the stove are covered with etched brass & fit perfectly.  some doors & lids are also provided. The handles were formed from brass wire & soldered in place.  After fitting all the brass parts it was painted flat black.  The chimney will be added later as it will have to go through a hole in the upper deck.  Too bad this little gem will be nearly invisible after the upper decks are in place.   Thanks for looking in.

1475513152_shipsstove1.JPG.8bab1e54d1a9660d69fa73797f0cabc5.JPG

337708978_shipsstove2.JPG.e3247d0674fb594c3fb76332aee84e17.JPG

1782670413_shipsstove3.JPG.52089831c0e80c7f8f924f5561fb3e25.JPG

1657365661_shipsstove4.JPG.9ee3d4913b134b8a7828167f1d69749e.JPG

716210930_shipsstove5.JPG.d7e8909c5009db5245a10a33f451ece5.JPG

Mark

On 10/31/2019 at 9:25 PM, marktiedens said:

Some fiddly work done - made up the capstans,some of the bitts,gratings, & ladders. I glued the ladders to the gratings so I could better determine where to put the stanchions for the handrail ropes - it would otherwise be difficult to install them with the gratings in place.  I made half-lap joints for the coamings.   No finish has been put on these assemblies yet - I try to make up as many of the sub-assemblies as I can before applying a finish. The fewer times I open the can of poly,the less likely it will dry up in the can.  Some of the plan sheets show a base for the capstans & some don`t,so I think I will add them - I don`t think they would sit directly on the deck planks.  The ladder parts are nicely made - not too thick & clunky looking like most kit ladders.

capstans.JPG.aafe79025c0d5b1f4010a23a1de1baa1.JPG

gratings.JPG.62262aa0b4b78e5746bf9a12c32580c9.JPG

Mark

This is Truly excellent work with the stairs,   in most cases with ship builds  - not enouth scale space is given for the stairs vs the frame,   meaning in real life sailors would be banging thier heads against the deck framework,   similar I have seen with scale distance for the deck widths  - there should be twice plus a third the length of a gun  from the bulwark to the  frame of the gratings.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the nice comments & likes - much appreciated:D.  O.C. - The angle of the cuts in the stair risers allows them to be installed more vertical than most kit ladders - much more realistic.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

I`ve decided to add a little extra to the capstans.  First,I added some "teeth" to the bottom of the capstans & made some pawls along with the raised platforms.  Second,since a small portion of the lower deck can be seen I added an extension plus a base to the bottom of the capstan. This was only done to the forward one as the aft opening is blocked by a portion of the keel former - it would not be visible anyway.  Sorry about the not so perfect pictures.

1548662987_capstan1.JPG.1b40dc8027b654047e613bf005e83e99.JPG

capstan2.JPG.3a06b95bc46a2d6e5a4496daea364359.JPG

capstan3.JPG.d85c78b1fb04cc98530ef8604e42bba2.JPG

capstan4.JPG.e8e165566ed3d9002f534fa032fbe3b6.JPG

cheers,Mark

Had to do a little surgery on the stern - when glueing the stern counter patterns on the instructions said to glue the outer patterns tilted slightly inward.  I was test fitting the balcony deck which sits on top of the counter patterns & could see that I tilted them in way too far.  I was able to pop them loose without damaging anything & re-glued them with a little extra bracing To keep them in place.  I will probably add a couple of braces to the inner patterns also.  Gotta love re-do`s!

1694244515_sterncounter.JPG.a84d71e01ec82d0b28ff9b387b6e6df2.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark

Very fine and precise work with those additional details.

I might be an old nag but something irritates me when I look at your build:

As far as I know those gratings were removable parts to permit access to the lower decks for bulky items. Thus for stability the gratings themselves should better have continuous bars on their edges and not gaps as on yours.

Sorry for being a grinch.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks James - I haven`t seen the Amati kit personally,so I was not aware they used MDF instead of plywood.  I am having no problems with the plywood - it is of good quality,easy to sand,& most importantly,this the best laser cutting I have seen in a kit.  The laser char is very light & the parts fit well with very little "adjustments".  I was a little disappointed with the basswood they supplied for the decks at first,but I think it looks ok after a good scraping & sanding & a coat of poly. On another note,I am very pleased they provide wood gun carriages instead of those odd looking metal ones in the Amati kit.

Peter - I see what you mean. Shows how much I know about some of these details:blink:.   it`s too late to fix them - I don`t think I have enough grating strips to re-do them.  I will do the upper deck gratings correctly & see if I have enough strips left to re-do the already done ones that are visible.  You are not being a nag - I don`t mind being corrected if I do something wrong. It`s how we all learn.  Thanks for your observation.

I am working with those gunport strips right now,so I may not have much to post for a while.

Mark

Hi all - started work on the gunport strips.  First thing I did was create the correct curves in the stern fascia & lower counter pattern by soaking them for about 15 minutes.  Then they were clamped to a round surface - a waste basket for the fascia & a hard plastic mug for the counter pattern - then left to dry.  They were then clamped in place to determine the correct placement of the gunport strip so the side gallery patterns would line up with the window openings in the fascia plus the lower counter curve.  The gunport strip was soaked in water for 20 minutes & clamped in place to dry(you can`t have too many clamps).  After drying I will see how well it holds it`s shape - nothing is glued yet.

1198495518_sternpattern1.JPG.675d5ec3aeb4fb99afc62a1c5c999b37.JPG

1509210556_sternpattern2.JPG.d92e4d4b9e84bc1e434f5c5e4a8f898f.JPG

682088119_gunportstrip1.JPG.2b0bf0dd8ac23992f193d63655563328.JPG

Mark

Hi all - starboard jigsaw puzzle,er,I mean gunport strips done:).   It was really puzzling(pun intended) figuring out how to clamp these in place.  The strips are 1mm thick ply,so I had to soak them in some water for about 30 minutes to make them pliable enough to fit the curves.  Not perfect,but a little bit of filler in spots & a lot of sanding should make a decent surface for the second planking.  Still have to finish the port side.

464222371_gunportstrips1.JPG.afbdc7c37e17b93d0e4954abdb95fc4b.JPG

1427606402_gunportstrips2.JPG.ae849eb5fe209cd21e354144af4077bf.JPG

873749298_gunportstrips3.JPG.26d1beb792c37dc00bda49a526eaebfa.JPG

Mark

Thanks Richard:D.  I kind of like the "instant" gunports, although getting them in the right position is a bit fiddly  - took 2 days just to get the first 2 on.  The position is critical for the correct alignment of the stern parts.

Mark

Whew! - port side patterns on.  While trying to clamp those patterns I kept thinking it might have been easier to just use planks & cut the ports out as on most other kits, but I got it done.  The next thing to do is the first planking from the patterns down to the keel. Having said that,I mentioned in an earlier post that the patterns are 1mm thick. The first planking is 1.5mm thick,so I will need to either add some .5mm strips to the patterns or sand .5mm off the planking:wacko:.  Since there is some unevenness to the patterns & sanding them smooth would leave some areas paper thin, I think it will be better to add some thin strips to the patterns & sand them back to the level of the planks.  That`s the plan anyway.

208854121_portgunportpatterns.JPG.7dce846954aee45c5b40f52fbefd61da.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark

Nice progress.

Had the same problem with the different thickness of gun port patterns and planks. However it disappeared rather quickly while sanding and filling (and sanding and filling and sanding) after the first planking.

Initially I got a rather rough and uneven shape of the hull and while working on it to get smooth lines by visual judgement the difference just disappeared. In any case you will not have to sand the whole lower hull - only the transition area from planks to pattern.

Cheers

Peter

Yes,after looking closer,there`s not that much of a difference.  A bit of filler & sanding should do the trick.  I`m not too concerned about how the first planking looks since it will all be covered up.

Mark

Mark,

As fiddly as the gun port jigsaw is a lot of work - And it does result in perfectly located and sized openings -

And for me this would have been a lot easier than having to cut, size, and locate 68 of these -- great job Model Shipways !!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - first planking below the gunport strips is done:D.  No stealers or drop planks were needed,although a little filler was needed in a couple of low spots.  Only the starboard side is sanded so far - took me all day to get it sanded to my liking.  Need to rest my weary arm for a while before I tackle the other side.  It looks a little splotchy in the pictures due to a variation of color of the planks,but it IS smooth.    Happy holidays to everyone at MSW!

1754341779_planking1.JPG.ba76fec36f5d8639c1d86af4b0f92e72.JPG

1416022104_planking2.JPG.2fd8ece3f5bbcdb4aa202dbda93f40ab.JPG

435777696_planking3.JPG.c4b2805932bd7cef0974a06fd9b2dd45.JPG

480002156_planking4.JPG.8684ccec81b6ccefa2e1cd4c352b58bf.JPG

Mark

Thanks Richard - being basswood,the planks were very easy to spile(bend sideways in this case)after just a couple of minutes in water.  I don`t much care to do drop planks or stealers if I can help it.

Mark

Thanks Frank - The blending wasn`t too bad - mostly lots & lots of sanding.  For some reason,the port side strips are not quite as even,so a lot more sanding is being needed.  The strips needed to be soaked for 20 to 30 minutes in order to make them pliable enough to conform to the bulkhead curves & although I clamped them to the bulkheads & let them dry in place before glueing them, there was still a little spring-back which made a couple of slight waves in the strips after being glued, but not enough that I can`t sand out.  I kind of rushed through the planking(some planks were still damp),so I am having to fill a few low spots. Since it will all be covered,I am only concerned with getting a smooth surface.  Also,some of the planks were a little warped,along with slight variations in thickness caused some of the low spots(maybe a little bit of installer error also;)).

Mark

That looks perfect.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks O.C.:D.  The port side is now sanded,sanded,sanded some more, a little filler here & there,sanded,& sanded some more:wacko:.   I think this is the first kit I`ve done that did NOT need any shims on at least some of the bulkheads - kudos to the designer & the laser cutter!   It`s a bit scruffy looking right now,but as I said before,it is a smooth base for the second planking now.

838153751_planking5.JPG.9d75091b6b6e9528be3adca4ff57cec4.JPG

Mark

Edited by marktiedens