HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Thanks guys:D.   Your ship looks pretty good, Ian 👍 - do you have a build log on it?    Wait until you get to the head rails - they are a real PITA to get shaped just right :wacko:.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi I haven't for this one. I suppose I should have , I did for my others ..so deep joy to come in the headrails lol 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Hi all - got the other side done:).  Went much quicker after all the fiddling on the other side.  I also added the PE pieces between the cheeks.  Not sure exactly what they are supposed to represent, but look like some sort of serpent.  The detail was kind of lost when painting them the same color overall, so I painted the recessed areas French blue & the raised areas yellow ochre.  The blue is not nearly as bright in person (or the yellow) - don`t know if it`s the lighting or just the way my phone processes photos:huh:

427822956_bow1.thumb.JPG.f826c3552d3dfaa3ecbe2a40549905f9.JPG

668622589_bow2.thumb.JPG.9e8f204fb3fad620afd94a086e81f227.JPG582512559_bow3.thumb.JPG.74e2b229306b906700eb6a12e7ab9f1c.JPG

Thanks for looking in-

Mark

Wow!  That’s really pristine work Mark. Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That is looking mighty fine Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Fantastic work Mark. You are giving this model the treatment it deserves. Thanks for all the great photos too!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

my word Mark........you do such beautiful work :)   reading through your log was very enjoyable....some very precise work!  glad to finally get caught up with your project......pulling up a chair

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis:D.

Meanwhile, I got the catheads done - just had to chisel a little of the mouldings away so they would fit flat against the hull.  I added some trim strips to them as was suggested in the instructions & finished the head rail to the bottom of the cathead bracket.  Also added the bolsters to the hawse hole openings - they were not shown on the plans, but were provided in the kit & were shown in the instructions:huh:.

1367032526_catheads1.thumb.JPG.22d568d0cb4478112f818b6314235b8d.JPG

470412731_catheads2.thumb.JPG.d907fbcc8336846f7f222b3d8ce4d3a5.JPG

Mark

Hi - another small update.  The 3 deck railings were assembled & painted along with the belfry.  Pretty straightforward, as all parts were laser cut.  They were all glued down to the edges of the decks.  The poop deck railing will get some hammock cranes & sand buckets, which will be added later.  The quarter deck railing will also get some cranes added later.

2078926590_railings1.thumb.JPG.c2098358b4b153863b28695ab9ee91ce.JPG

1417164362_railings2.thumb.JPG.0e8c2c9d407a0bd2959ffb141ded9fb6.JPG

1029372650_railings3.thumb.JPG.841dcece14a9c3e0894ef9a08ce900ab.JPG

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update - I thought it would be a good time to work on the gunport lids before tackling the chain wales.  First thing was to make a couple of jigs so the hinges would be equally spaced on all the lids.  After adding the scuttles & eyebolts, they were painted - 2 coats of black on the outside & 3 coats of red on the inside.  Finally, all the holes for the hinges were drilled & the lids were temporarily put in place to make sure they lined up - some of the mouldings had to be chiseled out a little for the lids to fit against the hull.  Still need to drill holes for the lid opening ropes.  I will probably leave the ropes for closing the lids off.   Thanks for looking in:).

467571742_gunportlids1.thumb.JPG.a9c08458f3e7a0e85787e417ff930393.JPG

792657253_gunportlids2.thumb.JPG.b2c8bca6d6181d2e17bd95d64cfc53de.JPG

1562013445_gunportlids3.thumb.JPG.edc42f2180f3ec0d7b43783cb878845e.JPG

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hope its nothing too serious Mark,   all the best to you mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful work Mark as always.  Really loving your build!  Good luck and get well soon.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

sorry to hear your under the weather.......hope your back in the saddle soon ;)   Vanguard is coming along splendidly........really good paint :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, I'm speechless. I found this website and forum after seeing an auction advertising the "Corel Sezione Maestra Cut-away Wood Model Kit" and then doing some googling. I am blown away by the detailing and intricacy of this gentleman's work. It's put me off now, from bidding on that kit...I haven't built a model since I ruined an Airfix model of a car more than 50 years ago, and I thought, after seeing the kit on the auction "Ooh, I'd like to have a go at that." And then I found this site...bloody hell, am I out of my league! I'd ruin that kit, I'm sure of it. However, I love all things nautical, Nelson was my childhood hero, and when I visit the Victory I am truly in my "happy place". I suspect all you modellers must be familiar with The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships by C. Nepean Longridge, but on the remote chance that one of you is not, it's something you will want to buy. I pore over my copy frequently. It's brilliant and it's great to compare his photos of the Victory and his model with my photos of her. I'm looking forward to exploring more of this awesome website and these forums.