HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Thanks for your comments Harbour Dog:).  If you are looking for a good place to start, a cross section would actually be a good place to get started,as you would not have to deal with all the intricacies at the bow & stern.

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - moving along at a snail`s pace, the upper gunport lids were glued in place & the ropes added.  Then, I thought it would be a good time to fit the channels.  After double checking the plans, I discovered that I glued the moulding above the upper gun deck ports too low & there wasn`t room to mount them below the moulding as the plans showed :wacko:.  So, after assembling one chainplate,I saw I could mount the channels above the moulding & still be ok.  the channels are not glued on yet & I haven`t got to the starboard side yet.  I still have to blacken the channel brackets & some other brass parts before I glue the channels on.  Still trying to figure out how I got that moulding so far off.

126392550_channels1.JPG.5fcb38950bc135f8fe1bb2afc68da868.JPG

479065799_channels2.JPG.a70364da8008dbb84a931eaa8465f7df.JPG

Mark 

Nice work Mark!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

very nice 

i found the same issue on my Victory with the channels and mouldings, it might be worth considering pinning the channels, as they will be getting in the way from now on, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - another small update.   All the channels are glued in place along with the fiddly PE support brackets.  Extra brackets are supplied in the kit, but none are shown on the mizzen channels on the plans, so I did not add them.  The extras may have been provided because the way they needed bending to fit it would be very easy to break them (don`t ask me how I know). Need to make up a bunch of chainplates next.  Thanks for looking in:).

1514451167_channels1.thumb.JPG.8b45312a9fd1bdb60f2888b9bbb5abb1.JPG

1255672907_channels2.thumb.JPG.8d4cac6a004e8653ef6c97a5990f733a.JPG

Mark

Looking really smart Mark 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Mark

As always very clean fine work.

Just for your information: I had the same problem with the mizzen channel supports missing in the plan. However I didn't trust the stability without knees or something and placed 3 supports below the mizzen channel and one below the mizzen backstay stool. My carpenter and the bosun agree with me.

IMG_1987.jpg.6853383a53c184aa515c86a9ebdd5a7b.jpg.98809d40de1cbf518bc77d48f071d6e9.jpg

one support below the middle of each of the two aft most and one below the fore most pair of dead eyes, one below the centre of the stool

Cheers

Peter

Edited by flyer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello friends - I am saddened to say this build is being terminated.  I have got a terminal illness & don`t have the will or energy to continue. Not sure how much time I have left, so I will look in at your projects from time to time.

Mark

Mark,

I have been faithfully following since 2019.  It will be a shame to not see her completed but that does not compare to the news of your health.  It is indeed terrible news, and I pray you continue find the strength to stare that bastard down and fight on.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Mark,

I'm so very sad to hear your news. I will be praying for you to fight on or finish well, whichever way things may turn out. I hope that perhaps someone can be found who might be able to complete this beautiful project for you.

Heartfelt regards,

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

That is terrible news, I also hope you find the strength to fight on.

Thanks for the insight to your Vanguard build, it's always great 👍 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Mark, even though we've never met I felt crushed reading your post after all the kind exchanges we have had over the years.  I'm at a loss for words right now, but wanted to send my best wishes to you and your family.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mark,

Am very sorry to hear that. I've been following since the beginning of the build and always look forward to your posts.  I'll be praying for you.

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Not sure what to say Mark  - words fail me and are  meaningless   - very sad news.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So sorry to hear about this.

Best of luck to you.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Mark,

So so sad to read this.  We've (so many of us) have become internet friends with you over the years.....Best wishes for your family as well

Sincerely,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Sad news, I wish you the best. Finished or not, you built a great model and did a wonderful job. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I am deeply saddened by this news, Mark.   I'm at a total loss for words.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)