HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Mark, awesome work.  Amazing how perfect you were able to get those gunport strips to line up!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike!   I think this is the hardest part of the entire build.  The upper strips were no problem since they are applied to the concave area of the bulkheads - the only issue with them is they have to be in the correct position or the stern components won`t fit.  The lower ones are the hard ones since they are on the convex part of the bulkheads - I had to use a bit of "creative" clamping on them.  

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

The profile of that hull looks amazing  - hats of to you and the designer   - its becoming a Superb build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Next thing to do is the upper gunport linings.  I glued a number of "boxes" together to serve as gunport linings from the supplied strips.  The insides will be cut at an angle to fit against the inner bulwark & glued in place.  Then the openings in the bulwarks will be opened up - hopefully they won`t splinter too much. Then the outer part will be trimmed off flush with the planking.  Only the linings without lids will be actually glued in place for now - the others will be glued in place after the second planking in order to form the rabbet for the lids.

169722549_gunportframes.JPG.f58da68ff10dd3c119e8bdddf81a6e35.JPG

Mark

Outstanding so far Mark. It's a pleasure to follow along on your build log. Lots of great hints and tips!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Peter:).  All the upper gun deck linings are now done & the 10 (5 each side) without lids were glued in place.  The rest of the linings were put in a plastic bag for safe keeping until the second planking is done.  All those linings are just edge glued & very fragile - I had to re-make a few that broke while sanding them:wacko:.  While waiting for glue to dry I also got the lower stern counter pattern glued on.   I think I will wait until the second planking is done before opening the gun ports in the inner bulwarks.

244845694_gunports1.JPG.780d780635682490750d4e4748c1c828.JPG

1294603542_gunports2.JPG.b0a0de49b586308cfe008aae1ae9709b.JPG

1520165923_gunports3.JPG.8be6582d9777cd656d8e93dbadb511b1.JPG

Mark

Well,I have a slight dilemma - the instructions say to mark the position of the main wale using the full scale hull profile view on the drawings.  The problem is the hull profile view is not at full scale:(.  The only full scale drawings of the hull only show the hull cutaway & deck layouts.  I see a few options - 1)measure from the drawing & add a mm or two  2)take the plan sheet to a copy center & have it enlarged  3)"eyeball"it.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

Mark

Just checked my original Vanguard drawings from my files, and there most certainly are full size hull drawings, more than one, in fact. But this is for the Victory Models/Amati kit. The large full size plans were drawn in a 1000x700mm paper space with the overall length of the hull, including lanterns to figurehead is 847.304 mm.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thanks for your reply - the only large hull profile drawing in my plans (other than the hull cutaway & deck layout) is on plan sheet 1 & it measures 720mm from figurehead to lanterns.  to add to that,the bow & stern views on the same sheet are also the same proportion smaller.  I wonder if Model Shipways altered the drawing ,although the sheet measures 1065 x 755mm - plenty of space for a full size drawing.  Anyway,I will figure it out one way or another.  I may just take it to a copy center & have it enlarged - no big deal.  I just have to find a copy place with a large enough copier.   I thought maybe I didn`t have all the plans,but I re-checked & I do have all 20 sheets.

Mark

Just sent you a private message.

Hope it helps.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

sorry that didn't work

I tried again

check your PM

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

You could find out the actual scale of your full size plan by comparing it (e.g. overall length) with your actual build in 1/72.

kit   x   72                = y

plan

1             should be your plan scale.

y

Now you can take any measurement out of your plan, multiply it by y and divide it trough 72 and find the actual value for your kit.

Enjoy!

Peter

Update - All the side gallery patterns are on.  A lot of fiddly work ,but they turned out ok.  The stern fascia is just pinned in place so I could line up the patterns properly.  Also, the window framing is not glued in yet - I just set them in place for the picture.   The roof & lower drop decoration will be added after the second planking.  The parts provided for those are plywood & pretty much unworkable,so I will make them from solid pieces of wood - most likely from basswood since they will be painted.

2129325943_galleries2.JPG.5376571842f174f1479cf289b56ae77c.JPG

514703740_galleries1.JPG.47c82f86cd92bb9354a0cc5add5a78da.JPG

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - happy new year!  Just a small update to end 2019 - second planking is well underway.  The first plank was laid along the position of the main wale as suggested in the instructions.  It doesn`t have to be perfect since the hull will be painted & coppered,but I still want to do a decent job for the practice if nothing else. I am using Chuck`s method to bend the planks using a curved form & heat - works pretty well.  Thanks for looking in!

515003061_planking1.JPG.1f5ace24682c0a14ac52c6c60d207dea.JPG

223837115_planking3.JPG.17469ee0b2cd412387490534530d210a.JPG

Mark

planking 2.JPG

planking 4.JPG

Second planking looks very good. I like the idea of doing a decent job just for the practice although I can see (and know) you have practiced your planking skills before 🙂. What kind of wood is it in the second planking?

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Thanks guys:D.  The planking is listed as walnut in the parts list,but I don`t think it is real walnut.  Also,they are not all the same width & the edges are quite rough & splintery - took me 2 days to sand the edges smooth enough to use.  The planks are not long enough to reach the full length of the hull,so I`ve had to sort through them & match up the widths for each planking run.  Some of the planks are not the same width along their entire length also.  A bit disappointing since most of the other wood in the kit is of good quality,but it`s not that big a deal since it will all be painted & coppered - just time consuming.

Mark

Hi Mark, I fond your log just the other day, very impressive work and a nice documentation!! I’m also building the Vanguard 1/72 (though from Victory Models/Amati), after fairly slow start (been working and traveling a lot, but I'm now retired) I have and have come to about the same stage of completion ea. the second planking and trying to get the stern gallery in place. which is easier said than done.  I see you  have so far been quite busy, and have advanced much faster than I have been able to. So I'm sure that I will soon be checking how you have solved all issues and problems that seem to come up. 

Björn

Hi Mark,

Would you point me to Chuck's method of bending planks. I did not see it in the planking tutorials.

Cheers,

Peter

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Hi Peter - not sure what post he put it in,so I will just show what I did.  The form is just a piece of wood with a curve on one side with some tabs glued on it to keep the plank from buckling when it`s bent.  I just wet the plank slightly with some water on my finger - no need to soak it - then after setting the plank in the form I use a heat gun to heat the plank.  You could also use a hair dryer.  Chuck uses an iron,but I don`t have enough space between the hold-down tabs to use an iron.  I had to use closely spaced tabs because my planks are less than 1mm thick & would otherwise buckle very easily.  Then let it cool before removing it from the form.  After letting it cool there is a just a small amount of spring- back, but not much.  The heat softens the lignens in the wood,which harden when the planks cool off.  The form is just clamped to the edge of my table.   Hope you can understand my explanation.

1683136585_plankbendingform.JPG.94668be75b3124a7d4f570d7d3939669.JPG

Mark

Brilliant! Thanks for the great explanation and thanks to Chuck for the idea! I will try this on my next build as I find the "clinking" affect kinda troublesome. Too much sanding, if you know what I mean.

Cheers,

Peter