HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Greetings - hope everyone is staying safe!   Hull coppering is about half done - not much else to do with most stores closed.  Still no T.P. or paper products in the stores that are open.   &^*%$#*! hoarders:angry:.    I would have preferred to use Amati plates,but the wind in HMS Visa`s sails is a little too weak for what that would cost.  Besides,I had to do something with the 3000 Caldercraft plates I already had.  I tried flattening the "nails" in them,but it distorted them too much so I just used them as is.   They are not as shiny as the photos indicate - I had a very bright light on them.  They have actually started to get a light brown patina on them just from my handling them.

1659098020_copper1.JPG.d8a7911a4368342cb8b6d104a025b44d.JPG

89044650_copper2.JPG.10f85ac9de900087e5be05ff5674dc17.JPG

1474214246_copper3.JPG.5d9e53aef8b2da6cb6492ddad18a30c0.JPG

Mark

copper 4.JPG

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Keep at it mark  - you are doing a great job   - you might have finished  the tiles when the lock down is over, we should celebrate then  - everyone round to yours for a few  jars.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Richard:).   Looks slightly shiny with my bright light on it,but should dull down somewhat in time.  The copper on my Victory has dulled down pretty good over time & it has the same copper plates I am using on this.

Mark

Excellent copper Mark😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Really nice work Mark   coming along fine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks O.C. & Ernie - much appreciated!

I forgot to mention that the copper plates were glued directly to the bare wood with an odorless medium viscosity CA & are stuck so well that a chisel would be needed to remove them.   I have done it this way on other hulls & have never had a copper plate fall off.   The only prep I did was to clean the plates with acetone to remove any oily residue.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Very nicely done Mark!  

Can I ask on the application of the plates - how to you apply the glue so that it doesn't squeeze out from underneath when the plate is attached?  Seems like a tricky exercise of putting enough glue that the ends of the plate are secured, but not too much that excess squeezes out.  You've certainly mastered it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike - The glue actually does ooze out from under the plates.  After positioning the plate I blot it with a paper towel to pull off the excess.  I do get some smears on the plates,but I use a cloth with some acetate to remove the smears.  It smells a bit,but the acetate does soften & remove the smears.  Just have to be careful not to use so much that it would get under the plates & loosen them.  It also needs to be done in a well ventilated area - besides the smell it is very flammable:o!

Mark

That helps a lot Mark, very good to know for when I get back to my Pegasus.  Many thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - finally got the rudder coppered & hinges on & painted accordingly.  Hard to tell from the pictures,but it was tapered at the back edge & toward the bottom.  It is removable,so I will set it aside & move on to another area.  Thanks for looking!

827257503_rudder1.JPG.95a11dad07a2837b050259b8de8536c2.JPG

1354100861_rudder2.JPG.994ed697d0df09f84af80423d87ca4db.JPG

Mark

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Fitting_SfitA.htm

Thanks JT - I hope the link works.  If not,just go to jotika.com & click on fittings.

They have 2 sizes - 1/64 & 1/72 scales.   The ones I am using are the 1/72 scale plates.  They come in packages of 100 & I had 30 packs which equals 3000,which is way too many. I got that many because I didn`t know exactly how many I would need,plus there is always some waste.  I didn`t count how many I used,but I probably have enough left do do another ship half the size of this one.  If I was to guess,I would say I used somewhere between 2000 & 2500.  As they say,your mileage may vary:).  If you get some,be sure & clean them before trying to glue them on - a lot of mine had an oily film on them,probably from the stamping process.  I used acetone to clean them.   For glue,I am using an odorless medium viscosity CA - no bad reactions (for me,anyway).

• 1 month later...

Hi - back to the ship after a bit of a break.   After re-doing the gratings,stanchions were added with a rope railing (Syren rope).   The 2 stanchions at the bottom of the ladder were simply glued to the steps.  The grating - ladder assemblies will be glued in place after the 28 gun carriages are mounted on the upper gun deck.   I still have to make all of the carriages,so it will take a little while.

gratings.JPG.76a0637619b4854b9653fe6490408d76.JPG

Mark

Now were talking Mark,   those  ladders look  bang on the money,  very very nice mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Mark,

Nice staircase work!!. 

And, as Frank just said Syren ropes and blocks are super excellent. Chuck's products were big parts of my last two projects,

and will be as well for the one I just started.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 9/27/2019 at 7:10 AM, flyer said:

Hi Mark

That's a very interesting build. I notice, that the kit is produced under Amati's licence with some changes. I'll be most interested to hear how the new guns look, the Amati gun carriages being a major weak point in their kit. I really like the Amati copper plates and hope you'll get an equally satisfying result with that tape.

Question: Are the Bellerophon and Elephant variants also included?

Enjoy your build!

Peter

Peter,

I remember way back when MS produced this kit.  They advertised that the Bellerophon and Elephant options were not available in this kit.  'Tis a pity that MS did not include these options, and that they have ceased producing this kit.

Bill

Started on the upper gun deck guns.   The carriages are supplied in laser cut basswood,so are a little delicate.   The sides,base, & trucks (wheels) are all provided,but no axles:( - looks like I will need to scratch them.  A little disappointing that they could not provide one more little sheet with axles.   Not really that big of a deal,just time consuming.   The cannons are cast britannia metal & look pretty good. They even have a touch hole.   I`m thinking about just glueing dowels the size of the holes in the trucks to the bottom of the carriages rather than trying to make them from square stock - being on the gun deck,they would be difficult to see.   The base will also need to be narrowed at the front.

carriage.JPG.9367a69bd26fa518a3400b259386ab77.JPG

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - the 28 gun carriages for the upper gun deck are now assembled & painted.   The cannons were simply painted satin black - the last cast parts I tried to blacken came out a chalky gray,so they will all be painted.  The surface is not as smooth as brass would be,but they look pretty good at normal viewing distance.  Real cast iron is actually a little rough unless it`s been machined,anyway:).   I still need to add some details like the trunnion caps & ring bolts,but those will be added later - I want to get the quarter galleries done & get the rest of the mouldings on the sides of the hull done first & finish the painting.  I`m sure I would knock some guns loose if I mounted them before finishing the outer hull.

cannon.JPG.0b860e141c642430820212791e6e577f.JPG

Mark

Thanks Frank!   No primer - just 3 coats of of thinned satin black which I made up by adding flat black to semi-gloss black to dull it down.    I rarely use primer unless I`m painting a light color like yellow or some reds over a dark surface.  The paint just doesn`t seem to stick any better on metal if I use primer.   I find it more important to make sure the metal is clean  before painting.  On brass,I scuff it slightly with 4000 wet-dry sandpaper first.   If the cannon were brass,I would probably chemically blacken them,rather than paint.

Mark 

Continuing on.......   The openings in the side gallery window patterns are slightly bigger than the the brass etched windows,so with no good way to glue them in I am making some inner frames out of some 1x1mm strips so the windows will have something to rest on.   That will also allow me to get the patterns glued on without worrying about damaging the brass windows:).    Kind of a PITA,but it seems to be the best way I can think of.

windows.JPG.8b9571fe5986f524fb5ffcecb3ceaa3f.JPG

Mark